Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #23
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Proactivly replacing the OEM IC because you don’t trust its quality is the funnies thing I’ve read today.
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #24
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
Proactivly replacing the OEM IC because you don’t trust its quality is the funnies thing I’ve read today.
Glad to bring you some fun today, sir

I am also expecting to have lower IAT too with aftermarket part. And Bar and plate core will be more durable under high boost pressure.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #25
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

CSF intercooler vs EOS vs Forge

Quote:

I am also expecting to have lower IAT too with aftermarket part. And bar and plate core will be more durable under high boost pressure.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #26
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish View Post

I am also expecting to have lower IAT too with aftermarket part. And Bar and plate core will be more durable under high boost pressure.
More durable? You think high boost is going to blow open an intercooler?

Wow.

As Tom said, none of those parts need replacing, and none of those will help your car on the track. Spend your money on either other upgrades (suspension, brakes), or better yet, on more driver instruction. You'll get the most bang for your buck on those, rather than just pissing money away on supposed cooling improvements.

Yes, I track my car regularly. Yes, I run a tune with higher boost. No, I have no cooling improvements, other than a bottle of Water Wetter. No, I have had no issues with heat.
      03-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #27
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Although I am tune only, I spent a while logging IAT balls deep in middle of our Aussie summer and they hardly moved that far off ambient

I too wanted the big boy cooler, but it just isn't required

Spend the money on a crank hub install if you're chasing part reliability concerns
      03-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #28
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Although I am tune only, I spent a while logging IAT balls deep in middle of our Aussie summer and they hardly moved that far off ambient

I too wanted the big boy cooler, but it just isn't required

Spend the money on a crank hub install if you're chasing part reliability concerns
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      03-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #29
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Love my CSF Cooling Heat Exchanger.
Attached Images

/// M3
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #30
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

Is everyone menstrating over here? Coldfish asked about the 3 coolers. Compare the 3. As far as being useful..hell 90% of the mods I see on this forum just cost money and look cool.
Appreciate 7
Mmvic61.00
qmp123.50
msdss497.50
guess2098516.00
      03-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #31
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLedouche View Post
Is everyone menstrating over here? Coldfish asked about the 3 coolers. Compare the 3. As far as being useful..hell 90% of the mods I see on this forum just cost money and look cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #32
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

is the csf chicken wire necessary

how delicate are the fins?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #33
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Username checks out.
Appreciate 2
Brasko1420.00
      03-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #34
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
By your logic the same can be said about anything like the wheels: keep the stock wheels or spent 10,000 $ on a set of Vossen wheels? Should you lower the car because it looks cool yet costs money? How about spending 5,000 $ on the MPE? I can keep going on.

I too find it crazy that people want to replace the IC because they don't trust it because some people complain about leaking coolant. But it’s their money.

Last edited by G4BR13L; 03-06-2019 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: typo's because typed on mobile device
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2019, 12:17 AM   #35
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

I think the whole problem of all these arguments is due to lack of proper and verified logs and data which has not been posted despite many asking for it.

I know of someone in Middle East who had swapped to one of the popular IC's available on the market and he told me that the difference from ambient was almost the same as the stock IC. Neither did the temps come down faster even with the upgraded IC.

Charge coolers has been around for a while and I am not too sure if that coupled with the IC will make a difference. Even if it did, would it be worth spending extra for that couple of degrees? I think not.

I have read every single thread and post with respect to IC and charge coolers, there is just not even enough credible data and logs to substantiate the necessity to upgrade either the IC or charge cooler individually or collectively. Sure you can do it for looks if you want to but there are much better ways to spend this money for real power.

I have an Awron gauge and I notice the IAT's do climb drastically when the vehicle is stationary and it drops very fast the minute the car starts moving. I think there is only so much upgraded IC and charge coolers can do as it appears the limitation is somewhere else. I think most are contented on not improving it further by means of upgrading because there is probably not much to be gained or anything to be gained at all. I second what Tom has said earlier and that BMW has done a very good job at the cooling. Those charge coolers with defects and issues, I guess the best thing to do is to check them regularly, top up if required, and if anything more serious occurs, let warranty handle that for you. And all that that does not cost a pretty dough unless your car is out of warranty.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|

Last edited by satinghostrider; 03-06-2019 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      03-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #36
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

There is an always an option to add a second airco compressor or to run the intake air through the system's airco if you want to bring the temperature down. Since we are talking about marginal differences you might also consider replacing the hood with the GTS hood and add extra vents. It looks cool (no pun intended) but I doubt that it will make a difference.

Take a look at this post from Mike:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1232610
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2019, 03:52 AM   #37
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
If you really care about the coldest IAT, there's only one way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #38
M3anPower
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish View Post
Hi I am hesitating among CSF, EOS and Forge on cooling system upgrade for my F80 M3.

EOS pruduct is fully made in the U.S. and I can reach the owner by instagram easily. Small company.

CSF pruductis made overseas (somewhere in Asia, not in the U.S.). Big company and has been in the market for quite a long time.

Forge pruduct is probly made in the U.K. They just released the new products for F80 recently but have been in the market for a while.

I am leaning towards CSF now but wondering how good the quality control is considering that it is made overseas....

Any input would be much appreiciated !
I appreciate the consideration for our product:
Here are some details about the CSF product and answers to some of your questions.

- We've sold ~800 of these coolers over the past ~2.5 years, by the far the leader in sales with this specific product.
- Yes lifetime warranty
- Tier-1 OEM supplier - we have a joint venture in China for our intercooler / oil cooler production. This same factory is Tier-1 to GE for their windmill turbine cooling packages.
- Every cooler is assembled and checked in-house at our headquarters in California
- Painted or powder-coated locally in California before final assembly
- You can also reach me (the owner - Ravi) easily on instagram - @CSF_radiators
or just shoot me an email to ravidolwani@csfradiators.com
- We have many track users using our product with very good success - from Global Time Attack all the way to 25 hour endurance racing.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
more info on our entire F8x m3/m4 product line is at:
http://csfrace.com/bmw-radiator-splash
That's exactly why your product won't be on my car anytime soon. We don't care about the 800 unit sold whatsoever, we want data. Simple as that.

The op was simply asking which is better and you showed up saying about how many unit you've sold prove that you have nothing to offer that improve.

Have you heard of quote saying "don't fix it if it's not broken"? Prove data and I'll be the first to send you my money.
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4006.50
      03-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #39
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
could be a solution lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:51 AM   #40
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:

The only way to find out is to install the CSF without the "chicken wire" and find out. You should have a better idea once a pebble hits the fin while cruising down the expressway.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #41
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
Quote:

The only way to find out is to install the CSF without the "chicken wire" and find out. You should have a better idea once a pebble hits the fin while cruising down the expressway.
Strange this is not a problem oe manufacturers are concerned about
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #42
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

Quote:
Quote:
By your logic the same can be said about anything like the wheels: keep the stock wheels or spent 10,000 $ on a set of Vossen wheels? Should you lower the car because it looks cool yet costs money? How about spending 5,000 $ on the MPE? I can keep going on.

I too find it crazy that people want to replace the IC because they don't trust it because some people complain about leaking coolant. But it's their money.
That's exactly my point. We do this because it's fun. Most of these mods don't make you faster. I think putting an aftermarket part on to give peace of mind that you won't have coolant leaking into your charge air is better than most.

With that said, I picture you guys harping on brakes, suspension and driving lessons only look like this on the track.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #43
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
S55 already has excellent cooling abilities. No one has shown any data to show there's any area for improvement.

Depending on your track experience, brakes (pads/fluid) or suspension upgrades would be more beneficial.
Thanks Tom
Appreciate 1
cartOC30.50
      03-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #44
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Hey Tom, what upgrades do you think are worth it for a car that will visit the track a couple times a year? What do you thing it better than stock unit?

-Top Mount intercooler?
-Heat Exhanger?
-Transmission Cooler?
S55 already has excellent cooling abilities. No one has shown any data to show there's any area for improvement.

Depending on your track experience, brakes (pads/fluid) or suspension upgrades would be more beneficial.
Do you think this data is lies?

https://www.awe-tuning.com/bmw-f8x-coldfront
Appreciate 0