Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #23
Cybercop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey Convert

This must be a mineral grey issue. Just took delivery and can't get the darn garage door openers programmed.

I go thru all the steps to program in the remote into the button on the mirror and it appears to work, but when I push the button on my Genie Screw Drive Intellicode, press the programmed mirror button 3 times, but no joy!

According to Genie's website and Homelink's website I should be able to get this to work.

Also according to Genie's website, when the button of a compatible remote/sending device is pressed, you should see the red light on the garage door opener flicker. I am not getting that flicker when I push the programmed button on the rearview mirror.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #24
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
I can confirm this also. Not per se to BMW but we just bought another brand in early '14 and it won't work with our current garage door opener. Yeah it sucks but they do give you those little car remotes, best look where you put yours back in the day.
Do you guys know if it doesn't work with the Genie Intellicode system? I can't get mine to work either.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #25
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
What a pussy.
      11-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #26
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
Do you guys know if it doesn't work with the Genie Intellicode system? I can't get mine to work either.
Genie Intellicde here...coding in my f80 was an exercise of futility. I use the remotes instead of the car buttons.

Last edited by shortseller; 11-10-2015 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #27
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
The procedure is listed in your manual too. Look it up and follow the instruction there if you haven't already.
I knew that response could only come from you. You've been quiet lately. Place isn't the same without your snark. Hope all is well.
      11-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #28
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

The key is to know it is a two step process. First learning the clicker to the Homelink in the car, then the button press on the ladder.

Rolling Code Programming:

1. Press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds)or the display reads "Channels Cleared". Do not hold for longer than 30 seconds. Do not repeat this step to program additional HomeLink buttons.

2. Place the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches from the HomeLink button you want to program.

3. Simultaneously, press and hold both your HomeLink button and your hand-held transmitter. Do not release either button until step 4 has been completed. (If you reside in Canada, refer to the "NOTE" below.)

4. When the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash or the display reads"Channel Trained", release both HomeLink & hand held transmitter buttons.

5. Then go to your garage door opener motor head unit in the garage. Locate the "Program" or "Learn" button. Usually near the hanging antenna wire on your garage door opener motor head unit. (The name of these buttons vary by manufacturer, please see your garage door openers owners manual for the location of this programming button).

6. Press and release the "Program" or "Learn" button once, like a door bell (1 second)(Do not hold this button down. Holding this button down for too long will erase all Remotes, Keypad and other HomeLink equipped vehicles). There is 30 seconds in which to initiate step 7.

7. Then go to your vehicle and firmly press and hold your already programmed HomeLink button for three seconds and release. Do this procedure a second time and depending on the Brand of your garage door opener you may need to do this step a third time to complete the process.

The garage should now activate when the programmed HomeLink button is firmly pressed and released.
Appreciate 4
      11-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #29
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

If after the above your still having issues, chances are your garage door opener may need a range extender plug in. Call opener company, its a small device that plugs in on same AC outlet, it amplifies signal for better range, therefore causing the homelink system to work better.

My experience is company sends you one for free when you ask.

BTW buy Chamberlain, they have WiFi link so you can fully operate door anywhere, get text messages on immediate opening and closing, and all is time stamped. so you know when you or anybody else comes and goes, a must have item IMHO. Also door can be timed to shut if left open accidentally. Your phone app controls all that for free, cool to log in and actually see your door in its current state and see how long it's been open or closed, then control it. Many other features but best one too is it has a battery backup, so when power goes out in neighborhood, your garage still works!

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #30
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

this is my 3rd bmw..and all have been a task to program..

for me is...

clear the buttons by holding down 1 and 3 until they blink quickly..

push the learn button on your garage door opener base...

hold the remote about 6 inches from your rear view mirror

push your desired homelink button and then your remote button..hold down until you get a fast blink...

***strangely enough on all 3 of my BMWs it's only been button 3 that's programmed correctly...I alway make my way thru 1, 2 then 3....

Always takes me 3 or 4 tries but eventually it works...
      11-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #31
LamboAllstar
Rep
Drives: Lambo, M4, Porsche 911, NSX-T

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercop View Post
This must be a mineral grey issue. Just took delivery and can't get the darn garage door openers programmed.

I go thru all the steps to program in the remote into the button on the mirror and it appears to work, but when I push the button on my Genie Screw Drive Intellicode, press the programmed mirror button 3 times, but no joy!

According to Genie's website and Homelink's website I should be able to get this to work.

Also according to Genie's website, when the button of a compatible remote/sending device is pressed, you should see the red light on the garage door opener flicker. I am not getting that flicker when I push the programmed button on the rearview mirror.

Any ideas?
I am having trouble with mine too. Guess what....Mineral Gray!

I have liftmaster/chamberlain system.

Please advise
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 02:31 AM   #32
Ever.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 MW/SO

My car is new and all I had to do was hold my remote next to the rear view mirror home link (literally right next to it, touching), and click and hold both the garage remote button and the left most homelink button(in my case), until it started blinking quickly. It started working right after that. No extra shenanigans needed.

Considering your car is new I doubt you need to clear any old memory. I didn't even need to press the learn button on the garage opener.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 05:59 AM   #33
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginsoft View Post
My car is new and all I had to do was hold my remote next to the rear view mirror home link (literally right next to it, touching), and click and hold both the garage remote button and the left most homelink button(in my case), until it started blinking quickly. It started working right after that. No extra shenanigans needed.

Considering your car is new I doubt you need to clear any old memory. I didn't even need to press the learn button on the garage opener.
This is exactly what I did. Unlike other cars where I used the learn button in the garage opener this one only needs the garage remote.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 06:40 AM   #34
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
The key is to know it is a two step process. First learning the clicker to the Homelink in the car, then the button press on the ladder.

Rolling Code Programming:

1. Press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds)or the display reads "Channels Cleared". Do not hold for longer than 30 seconds. Do not repeat this step to program additional HomeLink buttons.

2. Place the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches from the HomeLink button you want to program.

3. Simultaneously, press and hold both your HomeLink button and your hand-held transmitter. Do not release either button until step 4 has been completed. (If you reside in Canada, refer to the "NOTE" below.)

4. When the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash or the display reads"Channel Trained", release both HomeLink & hand held transmitter buttons.

5. Then go to your garage door opener motor head unit in the garage. Locate the "Program" or "Learn" button. Usually near the hanging antenna wire on your garage door opener motor head unit. (The name of these buttons vary by manufacturer, please see your garage door openers owners manual for the location of this programming button).

6. Press and release the "Program" or "Learn" button once, like a door bell (1 second)(Do not hold this button down. Holding this button down for too long will erase all Remotes, Keypad and other HomeLink equipped vehicles). There is 30 seconds in which to initiate step 7.

7. Then go to your vehicle and firmly press and hold your already programmed HomeLink button for three seconds and release. Do this procedure a second time and depending on the Brand of your garage door opener you may need to do this step a third time to complete the process.

The garage should now activate when the programmed HomeLink button is firmly pressed and released.
Yeah my Genie Intellicode just doesn't seem to work. I won't get the "rapid flash" part in step #4 (in either my E90 or F83). Gave up, use the remotes now.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #35
AustinJerry
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT

Can't program garage door opener

I recently had to replace my garage door opener. I was able to program my M4's garage door control for the old opener, but not the new one. The new opener is a typical Liftmaster Premium opener. The instructions says it supports the Homelink protocol.

Following the instructions in the BMW user manual, I start by simultaneously depressing and holding the left and right buttons to clear any pre-existing programming. The LED light immediately starts blinking rapidly. I then hold the remote control several inches from the mirror, and simultaneously depress and hold the remote button and the left button on the mirror. The LED flashes quickly, but never slows to indicate the programming was successful. I have repeated the procedure several times, but no luck.

Any suggestions?
      04-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #36
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

You may need to click the remote a few times while you continue to hold the button on the mirror.

Hand held remotes send the signal in bursts and it make take a few before the car picks it up. Also try moving the remote to the front and back of the mirror as well.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #37
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Your new garage door opener may have smart scramble codes that change every time the garage door remote is used. If this is the case, programming is a little different and more tedious than the traditional, hold the remote and press . If I remember correctly, with these "smart garage openers" , you have to press a "learn" or programming button on the back of the actual unit to transmit to your vehicle while it is in program mode. My memory is a little hazy but it is something of this nature. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #38
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
Your new garage door opener may have smart scramble codes that change every time the garage door remote is used. If this is the case, programming is a little different and more tedious than the traditional, hold the remote and press . If I remember correctly, with these "smart garage openers" , you have to press a "learn" or programming button on the back of the actual unit to transmit to your vehicle while it is in program mode. My memory is a little hazy but it is something of this nature. Good luck
That's how mine is. Had to use the "learn" button on the opener. My opener also had instructions for Homelink setup.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #39
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir
Right, it's called rolling code.

Before you attempt the "learn" from the opener base you need to "teach" the mirror buttons about the remote. This is where the OP is stuck.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #40
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Right, it's called rolling code.

Before you attempt the "learn" from the opener base you need to "teach" the mirror buttons about the remote. This is where the OP is stuck.
Yep - I had to open the moon roof and climb up to reach the garage door unit to enable this.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:44 PM   #41
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

Go to the Homelink website - there are detailed instructions there for the rolling code.

Program the remote in the car, then press the learn button, then you press the button in your car for 2-3 secs, let go, press again, let go, etc. Do this until the door activates. I had to press and release 3x and then it was programmed.

It was the same for both my cars. Very easy.
2001 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:51 PM   #42
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4recruiter
Go to the Homelink website - there are detailed instructions there for the rolling code.

Program the remote in the car, then press the learn button, then you press the button in your car for 2-3 secs, let go, press again, let go, etc. Do this until the door activates. I had to press and release 3x and then it was programmed.

It was the same for both my cars. Very easy.
this. and I had to hold the remote like 2 inches from the mirror. no more, no less. it was really finicky. maddeningly finicky.
      04-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #43
AustinJerry
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT

The installation instructions mention using a repeater if programming is unsuccessful. While I will try the suggestions everyone has been kind enough to mention, does anyone know what the repeater is and how it would work?
      04-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #44
salraf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, prior F80 M3, E60 M5

I had to press the link button on the lift and then run and press the control on the mirror a few times before it worked. Quick presses no long ones.
Appreciate 0