Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-02-2015, 12:04 AM   #89
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Any chance you'd want to take pics and document your install? It would be a great DIY post and I'd love to see as I'm considering this mod but don't have a huge set of tools or private garage.

thanks!
Here's one
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...t=full+leather

From the Bavsound video looks like all you would need is some basic tools or their tool kit (only $29).

No garage needed. You could do it. In a parking lot if you're on a busy street.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #90
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Wow. You're getting late Christmas gifts. iPE sounds awesome on YouTube. Let me know if it drones or not.
Haha yup!! Plus my winnings during Christmas weekend in Vegas?!?! I'm going to use that towards more haha! And I will be getting a video done on the exhaust also so no worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
Here's one
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...t=full+leather

From the Bavsound video looks like all you would need is some basic tools or their tool kit (only $29).

No garage needed. You could do it. In a parking lot if you're on a busy street.
Idk about the parking lot thing haha! People would give you tons of weird looks.

Instagram: YMB_F80
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #91
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Any chance you'd want to take pics and document your install? It would be a great DIY post and I'd love to see as I'm considering this mod but don't have a huge set of tools or private garage.

thanks!
I've never done a DIY thread, but I'm definitely willing to give it a try.

There is a very good install video in this thread and on Bavsound's website. I have a decent amount of tools, but still decided to buy their interior tool kit as I don't have any of those.

If you get a chance maybe check out the video and let me know if there are some specific things you would really want to see. I could focus on documenting if you/others think there are holes in their video.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #92
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorwu120 View Post
Haha yup!! Plus my winnings during Christmas weekend in Vegas?!?! I'm going to use that towards more haha! And I will be getting a video done on the exhaust also so no worries!
Congrats on the win. Are you getting JB4/DPs/BMC filter to to hit the 500hp+ club?. With race fuel, that should put out 571whp.

I might skip the exhaust and just get either Zima (OEM quality) or ER DPs. That should give me the exhaust note I'm looking for. Maybe nicer exhaust tips. I haven't won anything from Vegas in the last 2 yrs, so no iPE exhaust for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #93
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Cry for help time. This is not starting well at all. I've just spent an 1 1/2 on the center channel I cannot get the screws to tighten. One won't even thread. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #94
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Cry for help time. This is not starting well at all. I've just spent an 1 1/2 on the center channel I cannot get the screws to tighten. One won't even thread. Any ideas?
They are barely long enough to grab given the spacer and foam ring. I just pushed down hard, but you could try longer screws...if you've stripped the plastic beneath then try larger diameter screws, sheet metal screw should be fine.
      01-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #95
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
They are barely long enough to grab given the spacer and foam ring. I just pushed down hard, but you could try longer screws...if you've stripped the plastic beneath then try larger diameter screws, sheet metal screw should be fine.
Thank you. Ran to the hardware store and 1 inch long sheet metal screws did the trick. Awesome, 2 hours to do the center channel.

Sorry GG, but I don't think I'll be doing a DYI thread on this one. Apparently speaker install is not my thing.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #96
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19
Quote:
Thank you. Ran to the hardware store and 1 inch long sheet metal screws did the trick. Awesome, 2 hours to do the center channel.

Sorry GG, but I don't think I'll be doing a DYI thread on this one. Apparently speaker install is not my thing.
I suggested to BavSound that they need to send longer screws. Lol

I didn't need for mine, I only snugged the screws.
      01-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #97
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorwu120
Quote:
Congrats on the win. Are you getting JB4/DPs/BMC filter to to hit the 500hp+ club?. With race fuel, that should put out 571whp.

I might skip the exhaust and just get either Zima (OEM quality) or ER DPs. That should give me the exhaust note I'm looking for. Maybe nicer exhaust tips. I haven't won anything from Vegas in the last 2 yrs, so no iPE exhaust for me.
Haha thanks!! I just recently turned 21 so it was my first time legally there! I am getting JB4. I already have the Arma Speed intake system as well as the Evolution Racewerks downpipes. Haha my winnings are covering my JB4 and either part of my wheels or do arwon gauge.
That's awesome. You're doing well for a 21 year old and have good taste. I had an EVO IX when I was you age, not as cool.
      01-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #98
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'll settle for your impressions of the system's sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #99
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'll settle for your impressions of the system's sound.
Yah, me too. This is turning in to a nightmare and I'm not sure why. It's taking way longer and harder than the video suggests. I nearly snapped the blue interior tool in half getting the power window switch out of the door handle.

Once that was out it was straight forward, but now none of my windows/mirrors work from the driver side controls. Checked and rechecked and everything is put back together correctly. Any ideas?

I've done other speakers in cars, but none have gone this poorly. Figures it happens on the nicest car I've owned. That'll learn me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #100
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yah, me too. This is turning in to a nightmare and I'm not sure why. It's taking way longer and harder than the video suggests. I nearly snapped the blue interior tool in half getting the power window switch out of the door handle.

Once that was out it was straight forward, but now none of my windows/mirrors work from the driver side controls. Checked and rechecked and everything is put back together correctly. Any ideas?

I've done other speakers in cars, but none have gone this poorly. Figures it happens on the nicest car I've owned. That'll learn me.
Sorry, not sure why it wouldn't work other than the connection isn't in all the way. I read another review on the F30 site that mentioned the drivers side door window control panel was much harder to remove compared to the passenger side. They also said something about the switch being different and having to move a lever to release it. Maybe that isn't in the correct position.

I always find trim more difficult to remove compared to what pros show. I swear they have a dummy car that's been taken apart a dozen times and is now loose.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2015, 12:34 AM   #101
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, not sure why it wouldn't work other than the connection isn't in all the way. I read another review on the F30 site that mentioned the drivers side door window control panel was much harder to remove compared to the passenger side. They also said something about the switch being different and having to move a lever to release it. Maybe that isn't in the correct position.

I always find trim more difficult to remove compared to what pros show. I swear they have a dummy car that's been taken apart a dozen times and is now loose.
Thanks, it only goes on one way so it is either connected or it isn't. I'm hoping I get lucky and it is a fuse. Doubt it though.

I know they make it look easier than it is for people that don't do it all the time like us. But, I'm still surprised how much of a pain in the ass it has been.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #102
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, it only goes on one way so it is either connected or it isn't. I'm hoping I get lucky and it is a fuse. Doubt it though.

I know they make it look easier than it is for people that don't do it all the time like us. But, I'm still surprised how much of a pain in the ass it has been.
Try sending a PM to someone who has put it in already or start a new thread this morning. You may get better help than me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #103
TRKY
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

I installed this weekend. I found just not taking the power window switch out or the cables to the power switch and just resting the door panel up on a box helped speed up install. You can get all the access the speaker just by unplugging the bottom led light cable and door handle cable.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #104
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:

I agree that the video makes it look a good amount easier than reality.

I ended up stripping the center channel speaker mount closest to the rear of the car. In the video, the installer comments that the stock length is overkill for a spacerless install. I don't feel that this is the case.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #105
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRKY View Post
I installed this weekend. I found just not taking the power window switch out or the cables to the power switch and just resting the door panel up on a box helped speed up install. You can get all the access the speaker just by unplugging the bottom led light cable and door handle cable.
Yes. For those who were/are struggling, read my tips before the install. Don't add more steps and headache by removing the window switches. If you forget to plug one back in, all of them will not work.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1071574
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #106
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I agree that the video makes it look a good amount easier than reality.

I ended up stripping the center channel speaker mount closest to the rear of the car. In the video, the installer comments that the stock length is overkill for a spacerless install. I don't feel that this is the case.
Same here, there's not enough bite. Gotta get longer screws. I haven't gotten longer screws yet as 2 of 3 grabbed. It doesn't need to tight.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #107
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Did you get it working? It only goes in one way. If one switch is disconnected, all of them will not work. Try pulling each switch out then re-plug it.

I'm really not sure why the video tells people to pull out the switches. You don't need to do that, the door panels can hang on a box w/o pulling the switches out. Just pull out the bottom LED light plug to give it some play room. You missed one of my time saving tips, don't miss it on my next DYI post.

Last edited by JNoSol; 01-04-2015 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #108
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:

I couldn't get mine to work twice before I realized the switch wasn't FULLY seated.

BEFORE you plug it back in, the light grey lever HAS to snap into the fully open position push it down until it won't move, there is a detent, the lever will be 90° to the pins.

Only then plug it in and move the lever up. It will go in if not fully open but it won't seat and make contact.
      01-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #109
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Did you get it working? It only goes in one way. If one switch is disconnected, all of them will not work. Try pulling each switch out then re-plug it.

I'm really not sure why the video tells people to pull out the switches. You don't need to do that, the door panels can hang on a box w/o pulling the switches out. Just pull out the bottom LED light plug to give it some play room. You missed one of my time saving tips, don't miss it on my next DYI post.
It's weird as the other three do work. Just not the drivers switches.

I tried to leave the it attached and I took them off for better access at things. I ended up putting more sound deadening on the door card as well.

Quote:
I couldn't get mine to work twice before I realized the switch wasn't FULLY seated.

BEFORE you plug it back in, the light grey lever HAS to snap into the fully open position push it down until it won't move, there is a detent, the lever will be 90° to the pins.

Only then plug it in and move the lever up. It will go in if not fully open but it won't seat and make contact.
I've done this a couple of times and think it is fully seated, but I will check it again.

Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #110
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

That was it, it works now! I owe you a beer if we ever meet up or whatever your drink of choice is.
Appreciate 0