proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #45
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

In the US, Speed Limit Info is part of the Driver Assistance Plus package together with Side and Top View Cameras, Active Blind Spot Detection, and Active Driving Assistant. I am getting the Side and Top View Cameras option as it is available separately and I like it for helping me park properly and not scraping the rims :-)

It seems to me that the Active Blind Spot Detection and Active Driving Assistant options are just too much of a nanny. I think I read that the blind spot detection interferes with radar detectors with POP support. If I read it correctly I think the lane departure warning feature also shakes the steering wheel if it detects you does something bad. I wonder if it would affect the steering feel during normal driving.

Any feedback or recommendation for the Active Blind Spot Detection and Active Driving Assistant options?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #46
BlackLight
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wink I'm getting both

can't beat technology...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #47
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
In the US, Speed Limit Info is part of the Driver Assistance Plus package together with Side and Top View Cameras, Active Blind Spot Detection, and Active Driving Assistant. I am getting the Side and Top View Cameras option as it is available separately and I like it for helping me park properly and not scraping the rims :-)

It seems to me that the Active Blind Spot Detection and Active Driving Assistant options are just too much of a nanny. I think I read that the blind spot detection interferes with radar detectors with POP support. If I read it correctly I think the lane departure warning feature also shakes the steering wheel if it detects you does something bad. I wonder if it would affect the steering feel during normal driving.

Any feedback or recommendation for the Active Blind Spot Detection and Active Driving Assistant options?
Anyone?
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #48
bh1cqx
Rep
Drives: 2010 A4

Quote:
Anyone?
I have blind spot detection on my Audi and I personally like it. It's more to detect if a vehicle is at your blind spot where you can't see without looking over your shoulder. It seems to be different from lane departure detection.

And though I have a 9500ix i don't even know if it has POP mode and if it is on...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #49
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone?
If your mirrors are properly adjusted, you don't need blind spot detection .

When you drive, you should focus on driving (not texting, eating, drinking, talking on the phone, putting on make-up, reading the paper, doodling with i-drive, etc...). When you are focused on the road, you don't need lane departure warning .

12 years of owning M3s and I never scuffed a rim. If one cannot position a car travelling at 2mph, how can one be trusted driving it at 70mph

Useless gadgets IMO
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #50
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

while it works brilliantly well.....its also a complete waste of money.
      04-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #51
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh1cqx View Post
I have blind spot detection on my Audi and I personally like it. It's more to detect if a vehicle is at your blind spot where you can't see without looking over your shoulder. It seems to be different from lane departure detection.

And though I have a 9500ix i don't even know if it has POP mode and if it is on...
I have it on my A6 as well, but it throws enough false positives to annoy, and enough false negatives that it is completely non-trustworthy. Still have to shoulder check.

I can't imagine actually RELYING on it and not taking a quick look over your shoulder. What's that conversation like if you actually hit someone? "I'm sorry man - the light wasn't on so I just changed lanes."

"Moron."
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #52
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
When I rented a 911 I set a 80 mph speed alarm (forgot the exact word) but it would basically play a soft beeping noise whenever I hit over 80. The noise was not annoying at all and I found it quite helpful to let me know when to let off the gas. I know the e92 had something similar so I'm sure the f8x has it too
      04-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #53
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
This link explains mirror positioning

So much better than nannies.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #54
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post

A similar article from car and driver appeared more than 10 years ago and since I read that article I have been setting up my side mirrors as such. Super useful. I still shoulder-check with my own eyes though just to make sure there really are no cars.

So I went to get my production number today, and test drove a 5 Series with the drive assistant plus package, which includes blind spot detection, lane departure warning, collision avoidance, speed limited info, and side and top view mirrors. The speed limit info is very cool, especially with HUD. It let's me know I am speeding all the time. For blind spot detection, a yellow triangle symbol on the side mirror lights up when there is a car in your blind spot. Lane departure vibrates the wheel slightly to tell you you are off. I felt it when it went of incorrectly, while I made a slight right turn. I didn't test the collision avoidance feature, for obvious reason :-). And M3 and M4 doesn't have collision avoidance.

I have already ordered the side and top view camera separately. For an additional $1,150, I am contemplating getting the full package. I agree it is not worth the money. But the coolness of the technologies is calling my name... and my name is sucker.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 02:10 AM   #55
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I have already ordered the side and top view camera separately. For an additional $1,150, I am contemplating getting the full package. I agree it is not worth the money. But the coolness of the technologies is calling my name... and my name is sucker.
I'm with you. I've ordered side and top view, if I could get the speed limit info standalone I would. I am tempted by the DAP package.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:31 AM   #56
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

I've just added the speed limit display to my order, the M5 had it and it was really good, handy and very techy, as for the cameras I've gone for all of them on my M4, the front/side view cameras weren't available for my X6 when ordered but the top and rear view were, they are superb, I wouldn't be without them, I'm sure the lack of bulk on the 4 will make them less important compared to the X6 but it's soo techy and cool
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #57
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I decided to get the 8TH speed limit info option. At $350 it is fairly cheap here in Canada.

They have recently changed the speed limit policy in the Montreal area, which now makes it very difficult and confusing to figure out what is the actual limit in the street you are driving. Before, the vast majority of city streets used to have a 50km/h limit with an occasional school zone at 30km/h. Now, main streets are 50km/h, smaller streets are 40km/h, park and school zones are 30km/h and some streets are also 30km/h .

I am eager to find out if the speed limit info system will be smart enough to figure it all out.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #58
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

I wonder if it is smart enough to switch between reading KMPH and MPH when I drive across the USA/Canada border. :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #59
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wonder if it is smart enough to switch between reading KMPH and MPH when I drive across the USA/Canada border. :-)
Just guessing, but it may be dependent on which "units" (mph or km/h) you pick in the i-Drive setting. Whatever the number the system reads off road signs is indiacted as a mph or a km/h limit based on the i-drive setting .
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #60
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post

I've been doing this too, but STILL shoulder check. Tough to let go. (But then I still use my signal light all the time too, so maybe I'm a chump)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #61
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am eager to find out if the speed limit info system will be smart enough to figure it all out.
The HUD display will show exactly what the camera sees on the sign.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #62
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

This is an old thread but where exactly is the camera for the speed limit info and can it be turned off in the F80 M3?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #63
psedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 AB 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket
This is an old thread but where exactly is the camera for the speed limit info and can it be turned off in the F80 M3?
I circled the camera in yellow.[IMG]http://psedog.com/hostedfiles/BMW/My%20M3/Image%204.jpg[/IMG]
      11-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #64
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedog View Post
I circled the camera in yellow.[IMG]http://psedog.com/hostedfiles/BMW/My%20M3/Image%204.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks,it looks from the picture that the camera is built into the area where the rear view mirror is mounted to the windshield.Is this correct?Are you also able to turn it off in the I drive settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #65
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
The HUD display will show exactly what the camera sees on the sign.
Old thread revival, but after living with speed limit info for a while, I can confirm that the system is smart enough to display the limit in the units selected in iDrive.

For instance, my units are usually set to km/h. When I cross the border to the US, the limit displayed is converted to km/h even if the signs are in mph. If I switch the units in iDrive to mph, the limit is displayed in mph, same as the signs.

Very smart system .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #66
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Old thread revival, but after living with speed limit info for a while, I can confirm that the system is smart enough to display the limit in the units selected in iDrive.

For instance, my units are usually set to km/h. When I cross the border to the US, the limit displayed is converted to km/h even if the signs are in mph. If I switch the units in iDrive to mph, the limit is displayed in mph, same as the signs.

Very smart system .
Are you able to turn it off in the idrive settings?
Appreciate 0