proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-28-2021, 09:13 AM   #2685
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I had zero drone on my M4, same with hundreds of other customers.

As I mentioned previously, I had the same issue as you at first and I even called Active Autowerke about it. After rechecking the install and adjusting the mipdipe, it went away.

I strongly recommend you re-check the install as well (mine was off by only 1 inch). Its either that or your specific setup is a bad combination with the equal length, but the equal length itself does not drone.
I checked, re-checked, adjusted, and checked again. It most definitely droned at 3000RPM for the first ~15mins of driving no matter what I did with the pipe. The pipe did not contact anything under the car at all. Beyond having the thing on the car crooked or touching something, there really isn't another way to install it. It doesn't have a ton of adjustment.
That drone disappeared completely when I deleted cold-start with zero other changes to the pipe or the installation.
I have seen a few others report the exact same issue regardless of how the pipe was installed.
It wasn't a horrible boom that made my ears bleed, so maybe we just disagree on what constitutes a drone. But it was there and it was obnoxious. I posted about it a few times before I was able to kill it with the cold start delete.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #2686
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82.959 View Post
LOL. It definitely sounds like a 4 banger with resonated EL mid pipes and it sounds brassy as all hell with non resonated mid pipes when paired with cat-less downpipes and valves open. I'd compare it to a CR-X with a magnaflow muffler. Sounds nice at 4500+ RPMS though...but that's about it. It also definitely didn't give me more power, it took some away in exchange for mid-range/torque. My local shop was curious since I was one of the first in the area to get the EL setup and let me throw it on the dyno after and it dropped the highest 25 and lowest of 5 whp. Ambient temps were down 15 degrees too. Pretty sure I still had a packing peanut stuck on one of them I took them off so fast.
It sounds great with the stock downpipes, though.

I would expect it to lose power over the 3.5" single. Each of those little bends in the EL adds restriction and restriction costs horsepower.
To me, it's 100% worth it for the car to not sound like a fart, which is how I would describe the stock midpipe AND the single midpipe.
If I were trying to achieve max output regardless of sound or air quality, I would do catless downpipes and single mid with some kind of aftermarket muffler.
Appreciate 1
dpgfunk332.50
      10-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #2687
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Well... I'm back on the stock exhaust and all I can say is it's depressing AF. It just doesn't even feel like my car anymore. Crazy how much an exhaust mod can change your whole experience/perspective on a car.
      10-30-2021, 12:13 AM   #2688
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Well... I'm back on the stock exhaust and all I can say is it's depressing AF. It just doesn't even feel like my car anymore. Crazy how much an exhaust mod can change your whole experience/perspective on a car.
What?! Why?

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 4
      10-30-2021, 03:15 AM   #2689
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Quote:
What?! Why?

Instructed my Russian cousin Niko Bellic to steal his exhaust for me

Jk

I think he put it back to stock before buying a CS but now he's back in his old car
      11-03-2021, 03:05 AM   #2690
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 (MW SO, 6MT)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Nobody likes to talk about it, but the EL midpipe does cause an obnoxious drone at around 3k RPM when the car is cold.

Mine went away after I deleted cold-start with BM3. This was pre-downpipes.

When I installed high-flow-catted downpipes, which I would imagine are quite a bit quieter than the catless ones, some of the drone came back. It wasn't nearly as bad as before deleting cold start, but it was enough that I put the stock downpipes back on the car after listening to the noise for 6hrs straight on a road trip.

The catted downpipes also made the car sound like a twangy POS Honda exhaust overall. Another reason I pulled them off. Not worth the extra power if it sounds like I'm driving a Civic Si This this the other reason I took the DPs off, and probably why some people say the EL doesn't sound good. Even with the resonated EL, the car sounded like a BS four-cylinder once the downpipes went on. Fair warning.
LOL. It definitely sounds like a 4 banger with resonated EL mid pipes and it sounds brassy as all hell with non resonated mid pipes when paired with cat-less downpipes and valves open. I'd compare it to a CR-X with a magnaflow muffler. Sounds nice at 4500+ RPMS though...but that's about it. It also definitely didn't give me more power, it took some away in exchange for mid-range/torque. My local shop was curious since I was one of the first in the area to get the EL setup and let me throw it on the dyno after and it dropped the highest 25 and lowest of 5 whp. Ambient temps were down 15 degrees too. Pretty sure I still had a packing peanut stuck on one of them I took them off so fast.
So it decreased your power that much from just running a EL setup with everything else stock??! I would assume it to go up slightly, due to taking the secondary cats out.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #2691
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_F80_Mike View Post
So it decreased your power that much from just running a EL setup with everything else stock??! I would assume it to go up slightly, due to taking the secondary cats out.
I think he means that he lost power going from 3.5" single midpipe to the EL dual-2.5" midpipe. The bends add a lot of restriction.
I felt no difference at all, personally. But I've never dyno'd the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #2692
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
What?! Why?

Trying to offload the F82 for a F80 CS - had one very briefly but that one didn’t work out. The EL midpipe will be going on the CS immediately once I’m back in one
      11-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #2693
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Looks like a fun weekend project is about to go down...
Big thanks to Mike@x-ph for hooking me up!
Attached Images

11-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #2694
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Sorry, it decreased it from my Single AA mid pipe. I have aftermarket turbos as well.
      11-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #2695
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 (MW SO, 6MT)

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, it decreased it from my Single AA mid pipe. I have aftermarket turbos as well.
Ohhh okay, that makes sense then. Probably created more back pressure. Wonder if it does increase any power on a stock setup like mine
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #2696
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ohhh okay, that makes sense then. Probably created more back pressure. Wonder if it does increase any power on a stock setup like mine
Probably won't because while it may cut out the secondary cats it also adds a considerate amount of distance for the exhaust gas to travel. I mean AA even claims it only increases low - mid range torque and spool, indicating additional back pressure.
      11-15-2021, 01:51 PM   #2697
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafrosty View Post
I was able to figure out my cold start noise issue, wanted to share in case any one else was struggling to find answers like I was. Unknown to me, the previous owner had installed the GTS Flash on the engine, which was causing the waste gates to open more and rattle during the cold start sequence. When BMW changed my spark plugs under warranty, there was a misfire immediately after due to bad plugs. Then they ran error tests, and told me my car was tuned and refused to change the bad plugs. Luckily my SA was cool, so I flashed back to stock (ZCP) with MHD, and then they changed the plugs without flagging the warranty. Cold starts now sound normal again, no more ear piercing rattles, albeit a minor buzz due to the cold start roar.

Overall, after 3000 miles with the non-res ELs, I'm very pleased as they sound even better now broken in. Still undecided on adding a resonator, as the rasp is becoming more prominent with the cold.
I'm assuming you have stock cats? What exhaust do you have? Stock as well?

Nevermind - searched and found: Non-res EL with stock downpipes and ZCP muffler
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #2698
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

For those who installed either the Single Mid or the EL Pipes... did you/do you need to change out the gaskets from DP's > Mid, plus changing out the Exhaust Flange?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 11:26 AM   #2699
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxKing View Post
For those who installed either the Single Mid or the EL Pipes... did you/do you need to change out the gaskets from DP's > Mid, plus changing out the Exhaust Flange?
Just the gaskets. The hardware only should/needs to be replaced if it's rusted or no longer usable

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...saAvfXEALw_wcB
BoxKing293.00
      11-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #2700
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Just the gaskets. The hardware only should/needs to be replaced if it's rusted or no longer usable

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...saAvfXEALw_wcB
Thanks man, Im going to replace them no mater what, and just placed an order with the link you applied.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #2701
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

What do you guys think? I thought of this design a while back but wasn't sure if it could be done the right way. Equal Length Pipes into a Single Pipe Dual Exit. Take a look.

previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #2702
Ultimateone
OG E46Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 24 Champ White CTR

Looks like it could be ridiculously loud
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:03 PM   #2703
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
Looks like it could be ridiculously loud
Definitely.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #2704
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
What do you guys think? I thought of this design a while back but wasn't sure if it could be done the right way. Equal Length Pipes into a Single Pipe Dual Exit. Take a look.

Will be way too raspy and farty. EL needs all the muffler it can fit. That's why it's such a challenge on this chassis.

If there's one good thing about the G80s, it's that EL is a breeze in comparison. Much more room to experiment for tonal variation.
      12-03-2021, 10:50 PM   #2705
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

guys why dont you just throw two resonators to your single mid pipe? cheap and kills drone, most of the rasp and fart.

two sound clips from my setup. mpe + resonated single mid pipe + arm catless resonated downpipes.

car sounds ace especially between 1-3k. listen the growl in 5th second in the second video

https://vocaroo.com/1sjlZ0RE0W8E
https://vocaroo.com/1mYyJxgpR8xl

Last edited by deli333; 12-03-2021 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5449.50
      12-03-2021, 11:51 PM   #2706
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli333 View Post
guys why dont you just throw two resonators to your single mid pipe? cheap and kills drone, most of the rasp and fart.

two sound clips from my setup. mpe + resonated single mid pipe + arm catless resonated downpipes.

car sounds ace especially between 1-3k. listen the growl in 5th second in the second video

https://vocaroo.com/1sjlZ0RE0W8E
https://vocaroo.com/1mYyJxgpR8xl
This thread is about EQ exhaust bud

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 5
RugbyBro7600.50
TimmyM56241.50
Finz97.00
ntg442888.50