Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #23
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
The e39 is 8 inches longer iirc, and a couple inches taller
F80 specs:

Length183.9in.4671mm.
Width73.9in.1877mm.
Height56.1in.1424mm.
Wheelbase110.7in.2812mm.

e39 m5 specs:

Length 188.3 inches
Width 70.9 inches
Height 55.6 inches
Wheelbase 111.4 inches

So the f80 is 4.4 inches shorter in length, 3 inches wider, .5" taller, and .7" shorter wheelbase

I was surprised by the height - I would've thought the uber-low-center-of-gravity CF-roof m3 would be shorter than the executive saloon sports sedan of 1999.
      08-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #24
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
F80 specs:

Length183.9in.4671mm.
Width73.9in.1877mm.
Height56.1in.1424mm.
Wheelbase110.7in.2812mm.

e39 m5 specs:

Length 188.3 inches
Width 70.9 inches
Height 55.6 inches
Wheelbase 111.4 inches

So the f80 is 4.4 inches shorter in length, 3 inches wider, .5" taller, and .7" shorter wheelbase

I was surprised by the height - I would've thought the uber-low-center-of-gravity CF-roof m3 would be shorter than the executive saloon sports sedan of 1999.
I think your height is wrong.

it is 56.4 inches tall

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/spec/54/BMW-E39-M5.html
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #25
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpday View Post
Get ready for the M5 flamers.
Reporting as ordered sir.

I'll first start off by saying let's keep everything in perspective guys. Yes I agree with the overall sentiment that the F10 M5 is heavy because it is, but we must keep things in perspective. How much does a Bentley weigh yet look at how fast those things are (in the straightline anyways). The lightest Performance sedan to date (in the mid-size luxury sedan segment) is the 2014 CTS-V Sport, which is about as big as the F10 chassis yet comes in at a relatively light ~3,900lbs. The F80 M3 is a sports car in with 4 doors while cars like the Merc E63, Audi S6, CTS-V, M5, and Jaguar XFR are all Sports Sedans, totally different segment than a sports car with 4 doors.

Secondly, some people do want all of the comforts and luxury of the M5. When I drive the F80 M3, it's readily apparent how much lighter the car is but also how much it's missing. The smallest things make a big difference sometimes. Like adjustable extendable thigh supports on the front seats, adjustable headrests on the front seats, the higher quality of basic switches and buttons, the number of pixels in the digital temperature displays, or the alcantara headliner. Some people also enjoy the larger cabin space of an M5 or M6 Gran Coupe. Sometimes bigger interiors imply more luxury too. You ever sit in the back seat of a Mercedes S63 AMG? It's beautiful back there.

Thirdly, the BMW ///M7 is coming. Although I've always liked the S-Class better than the 7 Series, BMW's in general have always been the drivers car. With the advances in CFRP production from the BMW i program that the F8x M3/M4's are now the first major production non BMW i car to benefit from, the M7 will be much lighter than the F01 chassis. These trends will trickle down in the 35up generation of BMW's into the future. BMW chassis's in general will drop by an average of 220lbs, with M models planning to drop even more weight than that. My point is that tomorrow's Gxx BMW 340i is going to be even lighter than an F80 M3. And tomorrow's Gxx M5 maybe lighter than today's F10 535i.

The F10 M5 will probably be the heaviest natural ///M car ever produced. The X5M and X6M don't count, since those cars are considered not homogeneous to the ///M line. ///M cars will get continuously lighter from the F8x M3/M4 and on into the future.

Fourthly, fun is a relative term. One could argue that the Fiat 500 Abarth or Alpha Romeo 4C (both cars around 2,500lbs) driver is having more fun than the F82 M4 owner (3,500lbs). My personal definition of a fun car is how the car makes you feel when you are driving it and for me the biggest part of that is the engine and the sound it makes. When I drove a Porsche Cayman S, I felt like that car was more fun than the F82 M4 that I drove (not because it was lighter, about 500lbs lighter), but because the 6 cyl boxer engine of the Cayman S had way more character to it than the S55. There are many days when I miss the almost psychotic scream of a fully straightpiped S85 V10 engine in my old but never forgotten E60 M5, but the warp drive like torque (currently making almost 650lbs/ft on my F10 M5 at the crank) and the instant acceleration I get from the F10 M5's engine and DCT with the almost Ferrari-ish sound it makes from my straightpipes is equally as fun to me. With that said, I will say definitely that stock for stock the F80 M3 is the better drivers car and has more character than an F10 M5. But sometimes people figure out a way to enjoy their car the way they want it too. Putting straightpipes on my F10 M5 makes me feel the M5 has way more character and fun factor than any sound an S55 engine could make. On the other side of the coin, I realize how much harder and how much more difficult it is to control the weight of the F10 M5 at high speeds on a racing track. It's not easy and could take away of some of the fun factor when you can't shake off your ass a 3,100lbs E46 330i in the corner turns.

In conclusion we all have different needs. Saying one car is more fun than the other is silly to me. I love all ///M cars really, but I'm personally holding out for the next generation Gxx M5, which is rumored to have an all new V10 engine and drop at least 300lbs; or the new 911-Fighter, the McLaren P13 500S. I would love to own an F80 M3 but if I'm not taking it to the track a lot, then I'd feel like I'm not enjoying the benefits of a lighter chassis enough, other than maybe fuel economy. For now, I think I'd rather keep a heavier more luxurious and faster car, in which I can enjoy it's Bang & Olufsen sound system and more luxurious appointments on a daily basis. If I want to take it to the track so I can enjoy fighting the weight and listening to the epic sound track of a straightpiped Twin Turbo V8 that sounds like a Ferrari above 5,000rpm, then it's worth it to me.

Is this enough flame for you guys?

Just remember we're all on the same team.

Last edited by RPiM5; 08-20-2014 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0