Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

Next Few Track Oriented Upgrades Suggestions?

Hey Guys
So, have tracked my f80 plenty. Looking for some suggestions on what some of you have done with your car that you noticed made an impact at the track, ie roll bar, seats, harnesses, brake kits, suspension, etc.
Here is what I run currently:
Stock Engine, Bootmod3 Stage 2 OTS Tune, Akrapovic Down Pipes
Replaced bushings on front sway
MCS One Way Setup
TC Kline Plates
Front Adjustable Endlinks
Brake Fluid and Track Pads
Race Tires and Wheels
Schroth Quick Fit

That's pretty much it. My front brakes are pretty discolored, so was thinking brake kit, maybe some type of aero, or additional suspension upgrades

Appreciate the thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

You've got some good work already in the car but IMO the next upgrade is an easy pick.

BBK for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That was what I have been thinking. So damn expensive, but they hold up to the abuse better and pads and fluid likely last longer. Any suggestions. I see Essex AP kit is pretty popular
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      10-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #4
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

This week I am installing Girodiscs and Racing Brake SS pistons + high temp seals/boots. Some people have had success with this so I figured I'd give it a whirl.
I am probably delaying the inevitable.

How are you using the Quick Fit with OEM seats?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
This week I am installing Girodiscs and Racing Brake SS pistons + high temp seals/boots. Some people have had success with this so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

I bought some giro discs but haven't installed them yet, figured I'd sell them if I went with a bbk

So, the schroth quick fit is pretty cool. I just drape the shoulder belts over the seats before I get in so they don't fall down. I fold some polishing rags to place between the belt and the seat so they don't wear on the leather. The only problem with the quickfit is that it doesn't have a connection point between the legs - so the the lap belt portion will ride upwards when tightening everything. But I really how it fits, how easy it is to install for a track weekend and how well it holds me in the seat
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalsMan View Post
That was what I have been thinking. So damn expensive, but they hold up to the abuse better and pads and fluid likely last longer. Any suggestions. I see Essex AP kit is pretty popular
I had 9660s and they were life changing. Highly recommended.

My only issue with them is that if you have calipers that are the same between different models of cars, Essex will refuse to sell you the mounting bracket for the other car and will make you buy a new BBK. That's enough of a reason for me to not use their calipers again but they are excellent.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current, G80 Comp - IOMG, Form

I've been putting off BBK on my F80 and went with Girodisc as an interim solution. So far, I have no complaints other than the baby shit green / brown color of my front calipers. I live in TX so no issues with snow / salt - are there any other reasons why 9660 couldn't be used for daily + track use?

To OP - how do you like the MCS 1WNR? If I keep F80, that might be my next move…
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #8
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_M3 View Post
I've been putting off BBK on my F80 and went with Girodisc as an interim solution. So far, I have no complaints other than the baby shit green / brown color of my front calipers. I live in TX so no issues with snow / salt - are there any other reasons why 9660 couldn't be used for daily + track use?

To OP - how do you like the MCS 1WNR? If I keep F80, that might be my next move…
Snow isn't anything to worry about.

The only thing you want to pay attention to is debris/fine particles getting built up around the piston since there's no dust boots. If you give it a quick clean with compressed air when you swap pads, you shouldn't ever have issues.

Just consider if you want to go 9668 or 9660. The 9668 can use a 1" thick pad and the 9660 uses an 11/16" thick pad.

I went with the 9660 to reduce overall thermal mass on the system to help keep temps down. I haven't seen anyone complain about temperature issues using 9668s though.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
The_Werm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 6MT Nardo grey

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I did the rear toe arms for easier alignment and more rear camber and the car feels more balanced.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #10
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, the BBK are pretty pricey for a weekend warrior, but if they add to the confidence, safety, allow you to brake deeper etc, I may be interested

Love the MCS setup - had JRZ two ways prior and couldn't get them dialed in the way I wanted, seemed pretty bouncy to me. These are great, great quality, customer support is great and easy to adjust. I may move up to the 2 way to get more adjustablility later down the line, when I want to spend more time dialing it in and keeping some data on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #11
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
BBK AP9668 and MCS 1w were the 2 best mods done on F82 and easy to sell when you move on

Edit, after wheels/tires and camber plates

Last edited by fanatic1; 10-05-2021 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Add
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #12
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

OP what tires do you typically run? Also generally agree that brakes appear to be the next step. The other option might be upgraded cooling if necessary.

Quote:

We run the Essex/AP kits on all our cars that see track time - no issues running them on the street around here. They are our go to for customer cars as well - put quite a few sets on lately. Would suggest considering the 9668 kit over the 9660 though - pad costs work out better over time. Awesome kits - we flog the crap out of them on the track and the performance is always there. No fade, quick pad changes, mass reduction, etc.
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      10-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #13
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:

Do you have any links on SS pistons and high temp seals? i know mine are all cracked/baked.

How well do they hold up?
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Quote:

Do you have any links on SS pistons and high temp seals? i know mine are all cracked/baked.

Racing Brake sells them. Link below. I am having mine installed this week so I can't opine yet. I'm at Lime Rock on Monday but that track is easy on the brakes. I will report back after I drive WGI Oct 22-23rd.

https://racingbrake.com/bb-43bsp.

make sure you select the high temp option (blue).

Here is a fun Mr. Wizard type video that I stumbled upon that compares heat resistance of SS vs aluminum caliper pistons.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #15
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Quote:

Racing Brake sells them. Link below. I am having mine installed this week so I can't opine yet. I'm at Lime Rock on Monday but that track is easy on the brakes. I will report back after I drive WGI Oct 22-23rd.

https://racingbrake.com/bb-43bsp.

make sure you select the high temp option (blue).

Here is a fun Mr. Wizard type video that I stumbled upon that compares heat resistance of SS vs aluminum caliper pistons.
Awesome, I might do that over the winter. Thanks for the link.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
OP what tires do you typically run? Also generally agree that brakes appear to be the next step. The other option might be upgraded cooling if necessary.

We run the Essex/AP kits on all our cars that see track time - no issues running them on the street around here. They are our go to for customer cars as well - put quite a few sets on lately. Would suggest considering the 9668 kit over the 9660 though - pad costs work out better over time. Awesome kits - we flog the crap out of them on the track and the performance is always there. No fade, quick pad changes, mass reduction, etc.
I am running Pirelli slicks - how does that change your opinion on the bbk upgrade thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #17
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

I am running Pirelli slicks - how does that change your opinion on the bbk upgrade thoughts?
Even more necessary…
      10-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #18
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Not so much on changing my thoughts on upgrading brakes - more on seeing if tire progression might be another area to look at as well. But sounds like you already have that covered

Brakes are still the thing that sticks out the most if anything might need to be addressed from that list (solid track build btw). Definitely other good benefits to a bbk besides just fade resistance - so might be worth it still even if the oem+ setup is still performing adequately. Being on slicks and with that build I would guess you are real close to outperforming the oem+ setup - but hard to say from the outside (can be very track dependent too). Here with COTA in our backyard a bbk (Essex/AP for me) is one of the first things we typically do - it is very hard on brakes. If we didn't have COTA in the mix here though a bbk would be further down the list.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #19
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not so much on changing my thoughts on upgrading brakes - more on seeing if tire progression might be another area to look at as well. But sounds like you already have that covered

Brakes are still the thing that sticks out the most if anything might need to be addressed from that list (solid track build btw). Definitely other good benefits to a bbk besides just fade resistance - so might be worth it still even if the oem+ setup is still performing adequately. Being on slicks and with that build I would guess you are real close to outperforming the oem+ setup - but hard to say from the outside (can be very track dependent too). Here with COTA in our backyard a bbk (Essex/AP for me) is one of the first things we typically do - it is very hard on brakes. If we didn't have COTA in the mix here though a bbk would be further down the list.
Appreciate the feedback! I run Nola Motorsports, Barber in Birmingham and NCM in Bowling Green. Those are the three tracks I see the most. Barber has the downhill hard 180 turn at turn 5 which is hard on the brakes, Nola and NCM both have pretty hard braking zones at turn 1 at the end of their front straights.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #20
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What kind of cooling? My F8x was a street car so I'm really interested to see if your race builds had similar (or more/different) focus for heat management.

I'm hoping to get an F8x again one day and turn it into a track only car. The oil/water cooling system in the car was amazing on my street car so the only two components that I know I'd want to tackle would be brakes and the DCT. Are there others I should be aware of?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #21
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't had any cooling issues at all. The setup is pretty safe and solid. DCT has also been solid and I haven't done a thing to it. I had my car at the dealer recently for something unrelated, asked them to change the DCT fluid because I have tracked the car frequently and they said it wasn't necessary yet
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #22
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't had any cooling issues at all. The setup is pretty safe and solid. DCT has also been solid and I haven't done a thing to it. I had my car at the dealer recently for something unrelated, asked them to change the DCT fluid because I have tracked the car frequently and they said it wasn't necessary yet
I had one track day with heat issues where my shifts were slipping. I did my fluid after that and didn't have any more issues. The DCT definitely gets hot. Was shocked to find out how much more fluid the DCT and lines need compared to engine oil.
Appreciate 0