GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Favorite CF Splitter for Daily/Track Use

Trying to decide on a carbon fiber splitter for my F80. Originally wanted to go with a Vorsteiner GTS lip but even with PPF and sliplo I'm worried I'll crack it on a kerb while tracking. I'm on stock suspension, moving to MP HAS soon so I'm not even close to lowered.

What CF splitters do y'all like to run on a car you track occasionally? If you could go back in time would you get a CS or Vorsteiner lip and PPF the whole thing for chip prevention + sliplo? Would it survive a few years of novice tracking, assuming no big mishaps? Or would you get a cheaper CF repro or the ABS MP lip and use it sacrificially?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

I know I'm not answering your question right now but I feel like I really need to say this so that you don't suffer the way I did. I seriously don't mean to derail your thread I just know first hand what will happen with that setup.

I had the MP HAS on my M4CS. Do not waste your money if you plan on kicking some ass on the track. You may think that right now you're a novice driver and you'll take it easy for a few years but that's highly unlikely considering how driver friendly the F8x is at the limit and how much you'll love doing it. The spring rates on the HAS are no more useful than the stock springs. At the very least you will be 1000000000000x better off with a single adjustable kit. SYT_Shadow speaks highly of MCS and so does Bimmerworld but I never got a chance to put a good suspension to give you my honest opinion.

With a good alignment (probably even with the stock alignment), you'll notice that the car has an extreme oversteer bias - not understeer. You need to tackle that before you add more downforce to the front of the car but before you add downforce to the car, you need to stiffen the suspension. There's too much travel on the HAS/Stock springs.

See below for what MP HAS with Toyo RRs looks like and how much roll/movement in the suspension you will see. I'm avoiding curbing as much as possible because of how much it unsettles the car. I'm the gray M4 in front of camera car.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-05-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I know I'm not answering your question right now but I feel like I really need to say this so that you don't suffer the way I did. I seriously don't mean to derail your thread I just know first hand what will happen with that setup.

I had the MP HAS on my M4CS. Do not waste your money if you plan on kicking some ass on the track. You may think that right now you're a novice driver and you'll take it easy for a few years but that's highly unlikely considering how driver friendly the F8x is at the limit and how much you'll love doing it. The spring rates on the HAS are no more useful than the stock springs. At the very least you will be 1000000000000x better off with a single adjustable kit. SYT_Shadow speaks highly of MCS and so does Bimmerworld but I never got a chance to put a good suspension to give you my honest opinion.

With a good alignment (probably even with the stock alignment), you'll notice that the car has an extreme oversteer bias - not understeer. You need to tackle that before you add more downforce to the front of the car but before you add downforce to the car, you need to stiffen the suspension. There's too much travel on the HAS/Stock springs.

See below for what MP HAS with Toyo RRs looks like and how much roll/movement in the suspension you will see. I'm avoiding curbing as much as possible because of how much it unsettles the car. I'm the gray M4 in front of camera car.]

I will forever regret that you @NYG weren't able to try the CS with even 1W MCS suspension... it's such a huge difference.

Would still be slower than your current ride, but the way the F8X comes together with sticky tires and suspension/BBK is such a magical experience. "One must forego the self to attain total spiritual creaminess, and avoid the chewy chunks of degradation"
Appreciate 3
NYG10571.50
RSXDC5704.00
irunalot1515.50
      05-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I will forever regret that you @NYG weren't able to try the CS with even 1W MCS suspension... it's such a huge difference.

Would still be slower than your current ride, but the way the F8X comes together with sticky tires and suspension/BBK is such a magical experience. "One must forego the self to attain total spiritual creaminess, and avoid the chewy chunks of degradation"
That's why I don't want the OP to screw up like I did. I know what that chassis is capable of now and it would be a shame to waste money on the MPHAS when for a little more he can have one of the fastest cars on the track that he isn't fighting at every single corner.

The only way the MP HAS makes sense is if OP plans on doing one/two track days a year just for fun and dailying the rest of the time. The presence of testosterone in our body makes that option seem extremely unlikely.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-05-2021, 01:37 PM   #5
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
I definitely appreciate the small thread detour - I'm trying to keep my EDC suspension settings. In your opinions, what's the move if I don't want to lose EDC on a 1W/2W full coil setup? Bilstein/Tractive?
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspaulsen View Post
I definitely appreciate the small thread detour - I'm trying to keep my EDC suspension settings. In your opinions, what's the move if I don't want to lose EDC on a 1W/2W full coil setup? Bilstein/Tractive?
I'd honestly be full of shit if I gave you a recommendation on something I've never driven on. So the scope of my experience is just Stock vs MPHAS.

Part of my decision was warranty and EDC. In retrospect, it probably was the right decision for warranty sake but I never really felt like the stock dampers were that great for street driving. The car felt sporty on the street and not sporty enough on the track. If I was out of warranty, I wouldn't mind losing EDC but again that's just food for thought. If you find the ride comfortable and don't want to compromise it for the street then it's completely understandable.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspaulsen View Post
I've heard of Tractive and it sounds really cool, but haven't seen lots of actual track reviews from fast people that use it.

If you really want to keep EDC you can go to Bilstein B16 which is an intermediate street/track kit.

I would lose EDC and go to 1W MCS, which is great on the street and transforms the car on track. My CS is under warranty and I don't have any concerns about the EDC removal, that has nothing to do with blowing an engine up.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I've heard of Tractive and it sounds really cool, but haven't seen lots of actual track reviews from fast people that use it.

If you really want to keep EDC you can go to Bilstein B16 which is an intermediate street/track kit.

I would lose EDC and go to 1W MCS, which is great on the street and transforms the car on track. My CS is under warranty and I don't have any concerns about the EDC removal, that has nothing to do with blowing an engine up.
Is this the kit?

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...amper-Set.html

Does rear rebound adjustment require dropping the strut?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Is this the kit?

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...amper-Set.html

Does rear rebound adjustment require dropping the strut?
That is the kit. Note that does not include the springs/camber plates.

The rebound/compression (in that kit they are tied together somewhat IIRC) is adjusted at the top of the shock. You have to jack up the car to put your arm in there, or remove the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #10
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
That is the kit. Note that does not include the springs/camber plates.

The rebound/compression (in that kit they are tied together somewhat IIRC) is adjusted at the top of the shock. You have to jack up the car to put your arm in there, or remove the wheel.

How can you reach the top of the rear shock?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
How can you reach the top of the rear shock?
Inserting your arm between the top of the tire and the shock when it's jacked up, or removing the rear wheel to gain access
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #12
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

@rborane you flipped your MCS to adjust from the bottom, right?
rborane240.00
      05-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #13
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Running MCS 1w and love them. On the rear, you can install either adjuster at the top or at the bottom (inverted shock). Some shops prefer the adjuster at the bottom, mine are at the top and my arm fits easily in there with the Jack partially up, but this will depend somewhat on tire size.

The ride compliance with the adjuster set full soft is damn close to EDC soft, but this is really dependent on spring rates.

The biggest problem for me, seems like I usually do my first session with Settings full soft, dohhhhhh
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11421.00
NYG10571.50
jmg18493.00
      05-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #14
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I run these ebay CS style carbon splitters! They are actually nicer than one I ordered off XPH lol. They fit gud enough for track day. I'm due for a replacement soon starting to have to many Gorilla tape patches lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15240454736...oAAOSwUKxYgrRA
Appreciate 1
drroc413.00
      05-05-2021, 10:17 PM   #15
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
I run these ebay CS style carbon splitters! They are actually nicer than one I ordered off XPH lol. They fit gud enough for track day. I'm due for a replacement soon starting to have to many Gorilla tape patches lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15240454736...oAAOSwUKxYgrRA
You sir are a gentleman, thanks for bringing us back on topic
Appreciate 2
NYG10571.50
jmg18493.00
      05-06-2021, 12:03 AM   #16
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Running MCS 1WNR here with the adjuster on the bottom (inverted rear strut) to make adjustments easy, and with Vorshlag camber plates and 600 lb front / 900 lb rear Eibach springs. I can't say enough good things about the 1WNR kit.

Bimmerworld has the following kit available which they have put together due to the demand of a pieced together quality coilover kit for the F8X. Reach out to Phil at Bimmerworld and he will set you up properly.

Street rates on the below link I believe they use 500/800. Not sure what the track performance rates are. I run 600/900.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...-M2-M3-M4.html
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
fanatic11018.50
      05-06-2021, 02:19 AM   #17
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

For a front splitter on a car that sees track use you're going to want something unobtrusive. I myself opt to the 3D Design style front lip. I'm all for buying authentic but for something as "consumable" as a front lip saving money is probably more important

Other options could be M Performance, Vorsteiner or "V" Style, and the CS front lip.

For protection all I use is some 3M body molding trim. I put it on the bottom of the lip and it's basically like cheap sliplo. I've also seen these splitters more and more: https://eurocustomspr.com/collection...3-m4/splitters

Off topic.. I've currently got KW V3 with GC Plates. I decided to track this year on what I've got and spend money on seat time. I'm going to hit my 4th track day this year next week -- If this pace keeps up I'm going to upgrade to some MCS 1WNR at the end of the year So great to hear the positive feedback.
      05-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #18
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Does anyone make a polyurethane splitter? GT3s run non carbon splitters as it is just a consumable item.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      05-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #19
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Running MCS 1WNR here with the adjuster on the bottom (inverted rear strut) to make adjustments easy, and with Vorshlag camber plates and 600 lb front / 900 lb rear Eibach springs. I can't say enough good things about the 1WNR kit.

Bimmerworld has the following kit available which they have put together due to the demand of a pieced together quality coilover kit for the F8X. Reach out to Phil at Bimmerworld and he will set you up properly.

Street rates on the below link I believe they use 500/800. Not sure what the track performance rates are. I run 600/900.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...-M2-M3-M4.html
It's definitely a fantastic kit. I didn't know they had a 'all inclusive' option on the website, that's great
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #20
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
Does anyone make a polyurethane splitter? GT3s run non carbon splitters as it is just a consumable item.
I'm sure they exist but you need stiffness in order to develop the loads and establish an efficient load path. If your wing/splitter is deflecting under load, you are getting less downforce. Polyurethanes are insanely flexible.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #21
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Avus Blue ZCP M3

Would the Lightweight lip work?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:10 PM   #22
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRobert View Post
Would the Lightweight lip work?
Those are plastic iirc should be fine if they are chassis mounted, but I'm not sure they are. The bumper has too much flex with that much torque placed upon it with a splitter especially at triple digit speeds.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0