Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-18-2022, 12:54 PM   #1
Karlooch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Storing car outside for the winter

Storing my 2016 M4 outside for the winter under a car cover as I don't have a garage and am curious what peoples thoughts are? We do get a bit cold maybe -5 to -10 at absolute most out here. Any tips for storage?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlooch View Post
Storing my 2016 M4 outside for the winter under a car cover as I don't have a garage and am curious what peoples thoughts are? We do get a bit cold maybe -5 to -10 at absolute most out here. Any tips for storage?
Stored as in not driven? You will probably want to take the battery out and leave it on a charger if you can't run one there. I think covers do more harm than good. Stabilize the gas and change the oil right before you park it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I've been doing this for many years, it isn't a big deal.

I use a Noah's car cover and put it on right after washing and drying the car. It's a high quality, soft and breathable fabric. I connect a battery tender every couple of months. Also, I have several A2 traps around the car so no mice/rats decide to make the car their home.

Once the snow/ice melts off, I take the cover off and drive the car for a good drive to remove some of the moisture captured in the oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
kwikshift
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Agreed. If applicable, brush off snow, as needed. Some worry about tire flat spots but tires have come a long way. If you’re really worried you can buy tire savers or something like that as a peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #5
Karlooch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I've been doing this for many years, it isn't a big deal.

I use a Noah's car cover and put it on right after washing and drying the car. It's a high quality, soft and breathable fabric. I connect a battery tender every couple of months. Also, I have several A2 traps around the car so no mice/rats decide to make the car their home.

Once the snow/ice melts off, I take the cover off and drive the car for a good drive to remove some of the moisture captured in the oil.
Appreciate it! If I plan to start the car up once every few weeks maybe if the snow subsides and I have a window to take the cover off is a trickle charger still necessary?

I also use the Simoniz platinum car cover, think this would be adequate?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #6
Karlooch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
Stored as in not driven? You will probably want to take the battery out and leave it on a charger if you can't run one there. I think covers do more harm than good. Stabilize the gas and change the oil right before you park it.
1. Im not trying to cop out of doing the right thing but if I've only clocked like 2000 kilometres on the year and just had an oil change prior to that is a fresh one still necessary? I was going to change at 5000.

2. I do plan to start it occasionally (Maybe every few weeks) and let it run for a bit, do you think a charger is still necessary in this case?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #7
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
1. Im not trying to cop out of doing the right thing but if I've only clocked like 2000 kilometres on the year and just had an oil change prior to that is a fresh one still necessary? I was going to change at 5000.

2. I do plan to start it occasionally (Maybe every few weeks) and let it run for a bit, do you think a charger is still necessary in this case?
1) Its whatever contaminants are in the oil sitting there for months. Your call. Id make an effort to schedule your changes right before storage.

2) a battery charger is like $120. A new battery is like $2k. If it were a normal battery id risk it. If you ever start flashing your car you should have one anyways.

I've heard mixed things about just starting it. If you don't run it long enough to get up to temp and get moisture out and run the alternator long enough as well you may do more harm than good.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11736.00
      10-19-2022, 01:14 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

Same comment as ruleslawyer, starting it and running for 30 min isn't great for the engine, I wouldn't do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #9
Junaidd
Rep
Drives: Black BMW

Quote:

1. I would change the oil in the spring.

2. I wouldn't start it at all until you are ready to start driving. Plug in a trickle, over inflate the tires (45 psi) and leave it until you are ready to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 11:12 AM   #10
Karlooch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaidd View Post
1. I would change the oil in the spring.

2. I wouldn't start it at all until you are ready to start driving. Plug in a trickle, over inflate the tires (45 psi) and leave it until you are ready to drive.
Sounds good! I already ordered the Ctek one. Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0