Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #45
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Researching aero... Would adding the flat splitter on the stock bumper without a "lip" be enough to balance out a wing?
You need the dam to get the splitter as low as possible.

The most effective way to create underbody downforce is to establish a LONG clean streamline all the way to the diffuser. In order to get the velocity of the air fast enough to create significant low pressure is to limit how much cross sectional area the air has to move through.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #46
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Hey Guys,

I have the APR lower lip and its definitely functional, it creates a high pressure area in front of the bumper and closes off all openings under the front bumper.

Much more improvement than a CS or M Performance lip

Agreed that the extension that APR sells allows you to extend the lip even more (kind of like the GTS) and would better suit a big adjustable wing but i've had it on the track it really tucks the nose well on its own.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:25 AM   #47
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Hey Guys,

I have the APR lower lip and its definitely functional, it creates a high pressure area in front of the bumper and closes off all openings under the front bumper.

Agreed that the extension that APR sells allows you to extend the lip even more (kind of like the GTS) and would better suit a big adjustable wing but i've had it on the track it really tucks the nose well on its own.
My real question is "Will the APR lip and splitter be enough to balance out the giant GT-250 wing I will put on the back?" Guess I'll find out! Aero is winter's project.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:28 AM   #48
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Guys,

My real question is "Will the APR lip and splitter be enough to balance out the giant GT-250 wing I will put on the back?" Guess I'll find out! Aero is winter's project.
Pretty sure we will all end up moving to the Bimmerworld splitter they are developing, the one that makes more downforce than the gt4 part. That should pair very well to a rear wing!
      09-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #49
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Pretty sure we will all end up moving to the Bimmerworld splitter they are developing, the one that makes more downforce than the gt4 part. That should pair very well to a rear wing!
Get in touch with Ryan at Zebulon MSC. Their splitter options and mounting hardware, are second to none if you want a motorsport parts vs show piece (not suggesting BW is a show piece, but in general).
fanatic11018.50