GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

Camber plate is "binding"

Yesterday I had vorschlag camber plates installed on my M4 zcp. I'm on stock springs and we set the the camber to -2.2 after an initial setting where we learned we had to roll back the aggressiveness because of the stock springs.

My installer test drive the car and says it's binding/unbinding doing u-turn for example. And he doesn't really know what the problem is.

To me the steering after the install became in-concise and pulled to the right a little. The installer tells me, he thinks that's a symptom of the binding.

Vorschlag claims all the camber plates bearings are tested before they are mailed out. They test every plate as they pack and ship them.

Any ideas on what I should do next? Vorschlag says it's not the bearing. Installer says the alignment was done/checked/rechecked.

Next step might be to go back to OEM camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

If the steering pulls to either side, it is not aligned. You can run -4 and it still should track straight
Appreciate 1
NYG10728.00
      10-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
If the steering pulls to either side, it is not aligned. You can run -4 and it still should track straight
I think the suggestion is that it is aligned until it binds which unsettles the alignment.

According to vorschlag, on OEM springs you can't go more than -2.2 or the camber plate interferes with the spring. Or the spring interferes with the camber plate.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
I think the suggestion is that it is aligned until it binds which unsettles the alignment.

According to vorschlag, on OEM springs you can't go more than -2.2 or the camber plate interferes with the spring. Or the spring interferes with the camber plate.
That's odd. Haven't used those plates, just the GC ones, but I've been going to -3 on stock suspensions for many many years
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Really? Is that the answer from Vorshlag or the installer? According to their website here: https://vorshlag-store.com/products/...es-oem-perches

Quote:
With this design you can easily adjust camber track side and the total adjustment is up to 2.5° of added negative camber over stock.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      10-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post
Really? Is that the answer from Vorshlag or the installer? According to their website here: https://vorshlag-store.com/products/...es-oem-perches
Exactly, 2.5 added to stock, so it can do at least -3 as stock is around -1
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I know with Vorshlag plates (and really should apply to any plate with a lot of travel) you can move the adjuster so far over that the spring will contact the shock tower under compression, but that's at much higher levels of camber than -2.2deg.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0