Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #1321
Nickolka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Silverstone II, MT

Guys,

I've been driving with GFHB enabled for quite a while now (pmooiweer's F80/F82 coding for Euro HBA) and I see some high beam leaking onto the cars in front of me. Today I drove behind a truck and tried switching back and forth between the regular low beam and HBA and I could see the whole back of the truck light up dimly in HBA mode. I also see the right high beam moving to the right away from the truck, but there is still a bit of light leaking onto the truck in front. Basically the whole back of the truck becomes uniformly lit

Is this something that's expected or there is more to the GFHB that we have discovered so far for 2018 LCIs?

Last edited by Nickolka; 07-22-2018 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #1322
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolka View Post
Guys,

I've been driving with GFHB enabled for quite a while now (pmooiweer's F80/F82 coding for Euro HBA) and I see some high beam leaking onto the cars in front of me. Today I drove behind a truck and tried switching back and forth between the regular low beam and HBA and I could see the whole back of the truck light up dimly in HBA mode. I think I also see the right high beam moving to the right away from the truck, but there is still a bit of light leaking onto the truck in front. Basically the whole back of the truck becomes uniformly lit

Is this something that's expected or there is more to the GFHB that we have discovered so far for 2018 LCIs?
Unless the camera isn’t seeing the truck, GFHB should create a light tunnel with inner high beams switching off and outer high beams swiveling towards the sides of the road. The light pattern on the truck in front of you should be the same between low beams and GFHB. Have you tried flipping between low beams and GFHB while following traffic, preferably a truck?

I’ve only had one instance (that I noticed) with GFHB not creating a tunnel, and that was in heavy rain; I chalked that up to a camera detection issue. Also, I use GFHB frequently and have never had oncoming traffic flas their high beams, which, besides the light tunnel test, is another indicator that the system is working.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #1323
Atlantis M3tallic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Has anyone coded the Adaptive LED lights using the BimmeCode app?

It has expert mode but I don't know what settings to change, does anyone have instructions for it?

Previous: F10 550i M Sport - Alpine White - Vossen CV4 Graphite / H&R Sport springs / Active Autowerke Down pipes & Exhaust / BMS Stage 1 / M-Performance Front Splitter /DTM CF Diffuser

Last edited by Atlantis M3tallic; 03-10-2018 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #1324
candidgoat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Guys,

I've been driving with GFHB enabled for quite a while now (pmooiweer's F80/F82 coding for Euro HBA) and I see some high beam leaking onto the cars in front of me. Today I drove behind a truck and tried switching back and forth between the regular low beam and HBA and I could see the whole back of the truck light up dimly in HBA mode. I think I also see the right high beam moving to the right away from the truck, but there is still a bit of light leaking onto the truck in front. Basically the whole back of the truck becomes uniformly lit

For what it's worth, I have a 2018 f80 with pmooiweer's coding as well, and I often notice that there is some light leakage onto cars in front of me when using GFHB mode. I don't think it's enough to dazzle -- I don't get people flashing at me, anyway -- but it just doesn't seem to be making as sharp of a tunnel as I would expect. The coding is definitely working in other respects (I see drivers' side high beam deactivation when there is oncoming traffic, and the outer lights swivel to avoid the car ahead, etc.).

What camera do you have? I don't have the KAFAS2 module, so I wonder if that's related in any way.

Last edited by candidgoat; 03-12-2018 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #1325
Nickolka
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by candidgoat View Post
For what it's worth, I have a 2018 f80 with pmooiweer's coding as well, and I often notice that there is some light leakage onto cars in front of me when using GFHB mode. I don't think it's enough to dazzle -- I don't get people flashing at me, anyway -- but it just doesn't seem to be making as sharp of a tunnel as I would expect. The coding is definitely working in other respects (I see drivers' side high beam deactivation when there is oncoming traffic, and the outer lights swivel to avoid the car ahead, etc.).

What camera do you have? I don't have the KAFAS2 module, so I wonder if that's related in any way.
Mine comes with KAFAS2 (CAFD_00001148_000_030_001)

>>I often notice that there is some light leakage onto cars in front of me when using GFHB mode

That's exactly my case as well. GFHB mode work well enough not to dazzle people but there is some light leaking onto the cars in front. So it is not exactly a black tunnel, but a dimly lit one.

I might be wrong but it might have something to do with the M1-M15 parameters no longer existing in 2018s FLE (LHM in 2015). These used to control lighting intensity for each LED ( as per this post be dmnc02 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...postcount=1105 ). With these controls BMW engineers could make as black of a tunnel as they wanted. In the case 2018s, assuming they can no longer control each led, all BMW left to play with is regular lightning profiles LmmIdxXX_

LmmIdx00_Intensity
LmmIdx00_TimeOn
LmmIdx00_TimeOff
LmmIdx00_Priority
LmmIdx00_RampType
LmmIdx00_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx00_Active

and they indeed do. If you look at the settings, they use TimeOn/TimeOff 3/1 PWM cycle (LED 75% of time on, 25% of time off) for HBA2 and 1/3 for HBA1 PWM cycle (LED 25% of time on, 75% of time off). So HBA1 is dimly lit, while HBA2 is brightly lit.

Could then the leeking light that we are seeing is just the dimly lit HBA1?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #1326
candidgoat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

>>I often notice that there is some light leakage onto cars in front of me when using GFHB mode

That's exactly my case as well. GFHB mode work well enough not to dazzle people but there is some light leaking onto the cars in front. So it is not exactly a black tunnel, but a dimly lit one.

I might be wrong but it might have something to do with the M1-M15 parameters no longer existing in 2018s FLE (LHM in 2015). These used to control lighting intensity for each LED ( as per this post be dmnc02 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...postcount=1105 ). With these controls BMW engineers could make as black of a tunnel as they wanted. In the case 2018s, assuming they can no longer control each led, all BMW left to play with is regular lightning profiles LmmIdxXX_

LmmIdx00_Intensity
LmmIdx00_TimeOn
LmmIdx00_TimeOff
LmmIdx00_Priority
LmmIdx00_RampType
LmmIdx00_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx00_Active

and they indeed do. If you look at the settings, they use TimeOn/TimeOff 3/1 PWM cycle (LED 75% of time on, 25% of time off) for HBA2 and 1/3 for HBA1 PWM cycle (LED 25% of time on, 75% of time off). So HBA1 is dimly lit, while HBA2 is brightly lit.

Very interesting -- I'll have to do some digging when I get home tonight. But is the implication that even euro cars have the same light leakage that we do? Or is it just that we're missing whatever new setting took over the old parameters?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:28 AM   #1327
Nickolka
Canada
Rep

Quote:

LmmIdx00_Intensity
LmmIdx00_TimeOn
LmmIdx00_TimeOff
LmmIdx00_Priority
LmmIdx00_RampType
LmmIdx00_ErrorImpact
LmmIdx00_Active

Actually, I am likely totally off as for Blendfreies_Fernlicht_Idx HBA1 seems to be configured for 0% intensity. It uses LmmIdx04 in ECE config

LmmIdx04_Intensity: 00
LmmIdx04_TimeOn: 01
LmmIdx04_TimeOff: 03
LmmIdx04_Priority: 0A

So the fact that they play with TimeOn / TimeOff PWM duty cycle is likely irrelevant when light intensity is at 0%

On a side note, has anyone tried playing with the TimeOn / TimeOff settings for regular modes?

In most of the cases in LmmIdx_(01,02,03,05) for LBA1/2 and HBA1/2 the parameters TimeOn and TimeOff are set to the same values (1==1, 3==3) and not 00, which seems to imply 50% duty cycle for the LED array. Could it mean that we are running our low and high beams not at the maximum brightness?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #1328
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Not sure about the leakage you guys may be seeing; I have not experienced that. Except for the outer high beam pattern (with outer high beams swiveling towards the sides of the road), I don't see beam pattern differences between low beams and GFHB when following another vehicle. The height of the beam pattern is what matters.

I have KAFAS2 and my build is July 2017. To make sure this isn't caused by newer software versions, I've checked for differences between the CAFD versions for my car against PSdZDATA version 63.3.003 (using CAFD Tool) and don't see any that pertain to GFHB. None of the FDL settings for KAFAS2 and FLE have changed and FEM_BODY only contains a couple of differences for what I think are convenience locking default settings .

See attached for a spreadsheet that I used to decode light configurations (remove the .pdf extension before opening). See the tabs for Intensity, TimeOn, TimeOff for differences between US and ECE settings. My FDL cheat codes incorporate the values shown in the first tab.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F80 GFHB FLE Coding - US to ECE.xlsx.pdf (74.5 KB, 452 views)

Last edited by pmooiweer; 03-14-2018 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: added attachment
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #1329
candidgoat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
Not sure about the leakage you guys may be seeing; I have not experienced that. Except for the outer high beam pattern (with outer high beams swiveling towards the sides of the road), I don't see beam pattern differences between low beams and GFHB when following another vehicle. The height of the beam pattern is what matters.

I have KAFAS2 and my build is July 2017. To make sure this isn't caused by newer software versions, I've checked for differences between the CAFD versions for my car against PSdZDATA version 63.3.003 (using CAFD Tool) and don't see any that pertain to GFHB. None of the FDL settings for KAFAS2 and FLE have changed and FEM_BODY only contains a couple of differences for what I think are convenience locking default settings .

See attached for a spreadsheet that I used to decode light configurations (remove the .pdf extension before opening). See the tabs for Intensity, TimeOn, TimeOff for differences between US and ECE settings. My FDL cheat codes incorporate the values shown in the first tab.
Thanks much. Mine is a July 2017 build as well, so software probably isn't the issue.

Agreed that the height of the beam pattern is the issue -- last night on the way home, I was behind an SUV and switched between GFHB and low beams, and the GFHB setting clearly illuminated up to the rear window (the low beam setting didn't hit higher than the bumper). That said, the light on the car in front of me when using GFHB wasn't as bright as the high beams usually are, so perhaps the problem is that the inner lights are erroneously retaining their high beam height setting?

I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't in applying the codes, because I've cleared the custom VO coding, recoded the relevant modules to default and reapplied the euro coding, all of which didn't seem to make a difference. Admittedly I haven't tried your non-VO cheat sheet -- maybe I should try that next.

Nickolka, I'll try to take a picture of the light leakage next time I'm out -- you'll have to tell me if it's the same thing that you're seeing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #1330
Nickolka
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks much. Mine is a July 2017 build as well, so software probably isn't the issue.

Agreed that the height of the beam pattern is the issue -- last night on the way home, I was behind an SUV and switched between GFHB and low beams, and the GFHB setting clearly illuminated up to the rear window (the low beam setting didn't hit higher than the bumper). That said, the light on the car in front of me when using GFHB wasn't as bright as the high beams usually are, so perhaps the problem is that the inner lights are erroneously retaining their high beam height setting?

I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't in applying the codes, because I've cleared the custom VO coding, recoded the relevant modules to default and reapplied the euro coding, all of which didn't seem to make a difference. Admittedly I haven't tried your non-VO cheat sheet -- maybe I should try that next.

Nickolka, I'll try to take a picture of the light leakage next time I'm out -- you'll have to tell me if it's the same thing that you're seeing.
Overall GFHB is working well for me too. I even tried experimenting with it by following and then also driving towards my wife's SUV while on the phone with her. She said that my headlights in GFHB mode looked a lot brighter in her side view mirrors, but ok in the rear view one. When coming towards her, she said that she could see the lights dim when GFHB activated but could still tell they were high beams. That's what intrigued me to experiment more, as I was not completely sure that GHFB mode was fully coded

I tried following a cargo truck that had a white back on a 3 lane divided highway. When switching between GFHB and regular low beams I could see the whole back of the truck dimly light up, not just the lower portion that's close to the bumper but the whole thing. So I doubt it could be solved by adjusting the vertical position of the High Beam ights

candidgoat, if you try following a cargo truck or an 18-wheeler you should be able to see what I am seeing. Maybe try switching between all three modes - Low, GFHB and regular High Beams.

EDIT: Tried all three modes (Low Beams, GFHB, High Beams) myself today while driving behind an 18-wheeler at 75Mph, about 2 sec behind it on a 3 lane divided highway. Okay, there is definitely a clear difference in how bright the beam reflecting from the truck is.
Low Beam - None of the light reflects back from the swinging doors
GFHB - bottom half of the swinging doors illuminates dimly
High Beams - bottom half of the swinging doors illuminate brightly
So it's likely that I was way further from the truck in my previous experiments, when I said earlier that the whole back of the truck illuminated dimly in GFHB mode

Last edited by Nickolka; 03-14-2018 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:25 AM   #1331
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
So it's likely that I was way further from the truck in my previous experiments, when I said earlier that the whole back of the truck illuminated dimly in GFHB mode
have you tried just checking with ISTA+? There is procedure to project pattern on wall as well as calibrate.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #1332
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you didn’t use my non-VO cheat codes, are you sure you properly VO-coded your FEM_BODY and KAFAS2 modules, i.e. after removing 5AP and 8S4 from SALAPA, and then coded both FDLs using my cheat codes? It really sounds like you missed a step... You might want to simply reapply my GFHB cheat codes to your FEM_BODY, KAFAS2 and FDL modules. To be safe you could first VO code these modules back to factory settings using your original FA.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #1333
M3 Geezer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Just got remote coded by Rob at bimmer America. The Euro Spec LED headlights are amazing! If you paid for LED's you must get this done.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #1334
candidgoat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
If you didn’t use my non-VO cheat codes, are you sure you properly VO-coded your FEM_BODY and KAFAS2 modules, i.e. after removing 5AP and 8S4 from SALAPA, and then coded both FDLs using my cheat codes? It really sounds like you missed a step... You might want to simply reapply my GFHB cheat codes to your FEM_BODY, KAFAS2 and FDL modules. To be safe you could first VO code these modules back to factory settings using your original FA.
I'm pretty sure that it was done correctly - I have done all of the above twice now (that said, I don't have a KAFAS2 module) and have a bunch of other working coding as well. I think the next step is to put 5AP and 8S4 back, and try your non-VO codes. Will try that and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #1335
Nickolka
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
have you tried just checking with ISTA+? There is procedure to project pattern on wall as well as calibrate.
Don't have this sw. Should I pm you a for a link? Does it use the same enet/obd cable?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #1336
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't have this sw. Should I pm you a for a link? Does it use the same enet/obd cable?
If you don’t mind using Torrent, see https://www.bmwmvideos.com/bmw-diagn...-p-3-59-4-004/
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #1337
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/for...topics/1023698
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #1338
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Same ENET for diagnostics and procedures. ICOM for flash programming.

You can find on BF or latest on CTUK.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #1339
Topdwnz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP DCT Alpine White

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM3LES View Post
Has anyone coded the Adaptive LED lights using the BimmeCode app?

It has expert mode but I don't know what settings to change, does anyone have instructions for it?
I’m also interested if anyone has done this with the Bimmercode app. It’s not one of the standard coding choices. I also sent a message to the creator of the app. He didn’t know what I was asking about, which was kind of scary.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #1340
Nickolka
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Same ENET for diagnostics and procedures. ICOM for flash programming.

You can find on BF or latest on CTUK.
Thanks guys for the links. Got Rheingold ISTA+ 4.09.13 installed and running. Haven't tried connecting to the car yet. Assuming it is going to be ok.
Unfortunately, I have no idea where to look for that test mode for Non-glare high-bean assistant. Found a description of the system "FUB-FUB-FB-630005-K11 - Non-glare high-beam assistant - V.4" in offline mode and using my VIN but not the test procedure. Where is it, under which menu? Is there a description somewhere on how to properly do it? Do I have to be connected to the car first to see this diagnostic test?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:56 AM   #1341
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys for the links. Got Rheingold ISTA+ 4.09.13 installed and running. Haven't tried connecting to the car yet. Assuming it is going to be ok.
Unfortunately, I have no idea where to look for that test mode for Non-glare high-bean assistant. Found a description of the system "FUB-FUB-FB-630005-K11 - Non-glare high-beam assistant - V.4" in offline mode and using my VIN but not the test procedure. Where is it, under which menu? Is there a description somewhere on how to properly do it? Do I have to be connected to the car first to see this diagnostic test?
ISTA+ is relatively harmless (compared to tool32) in the wrong hands.

This procedure? It depends on the test. ABL's (procedures) are greyed out without connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 06:36 AM   #1342
Nickolka
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ISTA+ is relatively harmless (compared to tool32) in the wrong hands.

This procedure? It depends on the test. ABL's (procedures) are greyed out without connection.
Almaretto , does not look like the option is there anymore for my make/model.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0