EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #45
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Desmond, you come off as a troll in this thread. Realize that.

You are calling people idiotic for paying an extra 4% or so on a vehicle.

4%.

Unless you cut coupons, drive gently to conserve gas, and shop at K-mart for clothes...

You probably waste a ton of money.

These people who are willing to pay MSRP are also waiting money for a perceived value; most notably the newness of the vehicle to the market.

You bought a 3rd year m3 and got a good deal on it; there's no comparison. By the time you bought it, 30,000 others existed. It was no longer the hot item to have. People put value on that perceived status. And ultimately, are willing to pay ~4% higher on the cost of the vehicle to get it.

Put another way: When I'm 70 years old, I probably won't remember the extra $2k I threw at an M3. But I'll remember having a brand new 2015 m3 when it first came out.

(Now, that being said, I plan on trying to do something like USAA discounted m3 through ED delivery) we'll see
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #46
messm6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post

4%.

Unless you cut coupons, drive gently to conserve gas, and shop at K-mart for clothes...

These people who are willing to pay MSRP are also waiting money for a perceived value; most notably the newness of the vehicle to the market.

You bought a 3rd year m3 and got a good deal on it; there's no comparison. By the time you bought it, 30,000 others existed. It was no longer the hot item to have. People put value on that perceived status. And ultimately, are willing to pay ~4% higher on the cost of the vehicle to get it.

Put another way: When I'm 70 years old, I probably won't remember the extra $2k I threw at an M3. But I'll remember having a brand new 2015 m3 when it first came out.

(Now, that being said, I plan on trying to do something like USAA discounted m3 through ED delivery) we'll see
Do you think BMW will honor the USAA program for the new F80 M3? I'm hoping to utilize this as well but no word yet from BMW. Thanks for your input..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #47
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Is My Constant View Post
My car is 2010, so it was 2 years old when I bought it. Hardly outgoing

Sorry, am I getting the way of M4 drooling dream?
Quote:
What are you talking about? I ordered a brand new M3 in 2010 from Germany. My point was, the M3 was hardly an outgoing model in 2010. It had been in production for 2 years. They continued to make them for 3 more years and I still managed to get 1k below invoice.
I'm confused.

First your car was 2 years old when you bought it, then you said you ordered it brand new in 2010 from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #48
Desmond Is My Constant
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3, 997, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I'm confused.

First your car was 2 years old when you bought it, then you said you ordered it brand new in 2010 from Germany.
I meant to say the M3 as a model was 2 years old.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #49
Desmond Is My Constant
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post

4%.

Not sure invoice pricing in the new cars but I saved around 9k on a 78k msrp car, thats about 11-12%, 3 times your number and its significant. Its the cost of full coverage insurance for 4 years in my case.

You are also exaggerating. BMW did not sell 30,000 M3s in 2 years not to mention I hardly saw M3s in 2010 (I could go on without seeing one for months), heck even now its not THAT common.

I understand the whole exclusivity argument. My point was exactly that. Some people may not know that the prices of these cars first year is extremely inflated and may not know about the benefits of waiting a little bit.

And someone said there are 200 pre-orders? How is that such a high number? 200 people in 320 million?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #50
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Not sure invoice pricing in the new cars but I saved around 9k on a 78k msrp car, thats about 11-12%, 3 times your number and its significant. Its the cost of full coverage insurance for 4 years in my case.

You are also exaggerating. BMW did not sell 30,000 M3s in 2 years not to mention I hardly saw M3s in 2010 (I could go on without seeing one for months), heck even now its not THAT common.

I understand the whole exclusivity argument. My point was exactly that. Some people may not know that the prices of these cars first year is extremely inflated and may not know about the benefits of waiting a little bit.

And someone said there are 200 pre-orders? How is that such a high number? 200 people in 320 million?
And his point was you bought a car 3 years after it was introduced so it's not like you pulled off some coup to get a good deal on your car. That just simply will not happen in the first model year.

And do you honestly think people don't know MSRP is an inflated price? Guess what, most people buying an M3/4 are not buying this as their first car. You're not opening anyone's eyes on a car enthusiast website.

So good for you, you got a great deal 4 years ago. No one cares. I'm getting my M4 almost $7k below MSRP and I won't even have to negotiate to get it there.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #51
Desmond Is My Constant
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
And his point was you bought a car 3 years after it was introduced so it's not like you pulled off some coup to get a good deal on your car. That just simply will not happen in the first model year.

And do you honestly think people don't know MSRP is an inflated price? Guess what, most people buying an M3/4 are not buying this as their first car. You're not opening anyone's eyes on a car enthusiast website.

So good for you, you got a great deal 4 years ago. No one cares. I'm getting my M4 almost $7k below MSRP and I won't even have to negotiate to get it there.
How?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #52
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Today is the first Day of the rest of my life. YOLO!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #53
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Desmond, I piss money on useless shit all the time, toys, clothes, suits, dinners and paying msrp couldn't matter to me one bit. Some people are after deals, all I want is what I want. You saved money? Man, good for you. I make enough to feed my 401k to the fullest and company matches ever dollar, I put 20 percent of my income in to stock, another 20 percent in savings. After all of these years one thing I learned is to never judge anyone :-) I am not going to wait two year to fucking save 4k, I spend that shit on a 4 day get away!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #54
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Not here to argue. Posted my experiences over several years of buying (and always specially ordering) similar cars. Seems like what I said upsets you somehow, I was just trying to help others save money. No car is worth paying MSRP. It's like paying the list price for a house. Surely in orange county some rich person with a hole in their pocket will pay it, but 95% of the people won't.

There may be people out there who have never sat in an M car, maybe some just got a new job (or a good bonus), they may not know how this works and may get fooled into thinking you have to pay MSRP to buy an M car (or order one). Well, you don't. The only reason is if you want to drive the car the first 6 months after it is released - which is a fair point (but debatable).
In SF, we pay 20-30% above list price for homes... This thread is pointless. There will clearly be cases in 12-24 months when people will pay below MSRP. But those who want the car now are willing to pay the premium..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #55
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:

The MSRP on your m3 was $78k? That's ludicrously jacked up on options then. I just went on BMWconfig and spec'd out a 2011 m3 coupe WITH EVERY SINGLE OPTION and it's MSRP was $75.6k. That's every single option including the competition package, not available in 2010. Not sure how you got one with an MSRP of $78k. Must've paid for extra rip-off options on it.

Anyway, invoice on a 2011 m3 coupe with every single option is $70k. So if you paid $69k for a $75k m3, that'd be $6k off. Or about an 8% discount from MSRP

In 2010, the model year of your vehicle, BMW had sold over 30,000 m3 coupes and sedans since 2008. By the end of the run, they sold over 66,000.

The point is this: If you want to own 1 out of 1,000 of something in the world, you pay full price. If you want to own 1 out of 30,000, you can expect a discount. If you want to own something when it's brand new, the cream of the crop, you pay full price as an early adopter. If you want to own a 3 year old model of a proven, mass-produced vehicle, you can get a discount.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #56
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Why you guys don't wait one year, buy a cpo m3 10-15 k below MRSP with double the warranty!?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #57
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
Why you guys don't wait one year, buy a cpo m3 10-15 k below MRSP with double the warranty!?
Good suggestion. Why don't you wait a year and be happy. Let me buy when I want however.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #58
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Dealers make up all kinds of crap to justify their greed, making the case that because the M3/4 is a good value therefore they need to run the price up is just stupid. The great thing is there are plenty of BMW dealers in the USA and you can buy from any of them. Not a chance I will ever do business with a dealer who demonstrates overt greed like the one the OP spoke with.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:34 AM   #59
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Hate to chime in, but.....

I purchased my 08 E90 in Aug/Sept of 08 and it was not difficult at all for me to obtain invoice pricing (over $8k off of MSRP) At the time the hype on the new gen v8 M3 was huge just like it is now with the f80.

Release dates are about the same as the last M3 so I am confidently hopeful invoice pricing will be had by the end of summer, just like last time.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #60
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Its very simple. As long as demand is super high and allocations are super low of course you are going to see higher prices. Its the way things work.

Once the hype dies down a little and allocations go up for each dealer then yes there is a chance that you can start to negotiate lower prices.

when we were selling e9xM's at close to invoice it was the last 3 years of the run and allocations were very easy to come by so we didn't mine hooking up everyone. However if me as a dealer only get say 2 a month why would we sell them any cheaper then MSRP? Im sure everyone can understand this point. Now marking up over MSRP well thats another story and I can't comment on that. We won't be doing that but like I have said in other threads dealers def will do this and a lot of them. Why? bc people will pay it.

Now those of you who think you are going to be getting these new M's close to invoice, invoice, or below invoice are IMO going to waiting a while and may never happen for at least a few years but who knows! I can't answer that bc there is still no pricing and no allocation info out whatsoever for us dealers from BMW.

Prices and negotiations will always vary dealer to dealer. Thats the beauty of having so many dealers to pick from. There will be dealers Im sure who offer the car below MSRP at launch and there will be dealers who offer the car 20k over MSRP. As a buyer you have the choice to who you buy from so there really is no reason for anyone to get upset at any dealer? Just pick another dealer if you don't like the price you get.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #61
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumphoto View Post

I purchased my 08 E90 in Aug/Sept of 08 and it was not difficult at all for me to obtain invoice pricing (over $8k off of MSRP) At the time the hype on the new gen v8 M3 was huge just like it is now with the f80.

Release dates are about the same as the last M3 so I am confidently hopeful invoice pricing will be had by the end of summer, just like last time.
I think purchasing the car right when the market took a dump and the recession hit had more to do with that...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #62
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
Cause I don't like e90m sorry drove it and didn't like the lack of tq and the heavy pig feel it had (my opinion and don't want to offend current fanboys) so I will spend on a car that I know it will be silly fast and plenty of tq to feel right away :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #63
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumphoto View Post

You bought an 08 in 08 (a year later almost) during a recession.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #64
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Deal View Post
Cause I don't like e90m sorry drove it and didn't like the lack of tq and the heavy pig feel it had (my opinion and don't want to offend current fanboys) so I will spend on a car that I know it will be silly fast and plenty of tq to feel right away :-)
I think what he means is to wait a year and buy a used CPO 2015 f8x m3
      01-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #65
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I think what he means is to wait a year and buy a used CPO 2015 f8x m3
That makes too much sense why would I do that?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #66
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Is My Constant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post

How?
BMW Military buyer program. Same way I bought my last BMW
Appreciate 0