GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #89
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
No, Not just 1 particular brand.
I have Dinan stage 2 and have some friends with Dinan, ESS Etronic as well
Most have been going full flash. Some were previous JB4 owners, some were not. I doubt we'll be seeing much Dinan inquiries for backend flashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver View Post
If it was suitable for me to ship my ecu out I would have already done it. If there's some way to have a local tuner in MA/NH do the work then I'll get it done. Just can't be without the car..unfortunately it's my only one lol
If you want to have your local shop pull the DME, you can then overnight it to us, we would overnight it back in most cases the same day received.

As with the full flash tunes, updates on the ESS backend flash can be performed via OBD2 by the end user.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #90
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

So not to be an ass even tho I normally am one unintentionally... Are you just marketing a non-tested product here since you cannot provide any results from any piggy-back combo?
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #91
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
So not to be an ass even tho I normally am one unintentionally... Are you just marketing a non-tested product here since you cannot provide any results from any piggy-back combo?
I get the same feeling.
The shops on this forum are just part replacement shops.
No real tuners that fabricate their own parts, writing their own ECU files etc. They all have accounts and become "authorized dealers" that put out information that the companies they sell parts for supply.

I'd like to see the tuner from ESS on here promoting and answering questions. There was a guy named Roman that worked for ESS, he was on forums a lot but I heard from ESS that he no longer works there.
Appreciate 3
      01-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #92
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
So not to be an ass even tho I normally am... Are you just marketing a non-tested product here since you cannot provide any results from any piggy-back combo?
Given the choice, we would go full flash every time over a pigyback + backend flash. Most of our customers feel the same way, but this new option is being offered for those that prefer piggyback systems instead.

If we sold JB4s, we would most likely have dynoed and shared our results with everyone some time ago. If we ran a JB4 on our own M4, we would have dynoed in-house long ago. Most shops on forums selling tunes (or piggybacks) do not own their own dyno and rely on the manufacturer or public feedback. ESS has been Supercharging and tuning BMWs for years, they are not newcomers to the BMW market and have a very well-earned reputation. I'm happy that they have considered releasing something that has been requested for months by piggyback owners, instead of criticizing without even giving it a chance to perform.

I understand you are already in the process of parting out and selling your car, but you are more than welcome to contact ESS at 480.525.9160 if you have any specific questions concerning the Backend Flash if you feel my replies are not satisfactory.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #93
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Given the choice, we would go full flash every time over a pigyback + backend flash. Most of our customers feel the same way, but this new option is being offered for those that prefer piggyback systems instead.

If we sold JB4s, we would most likely have dynoed and shared our results with everyone some time ago. If we ran a JB4 on our own M4, we would have dynoed in-house long ago. Most shops on forums selling tunes (or piggybacks) do not own their own dyno and rely on the manufacturer or public feedback. ESS has been Supercharging and tuning BMWs for years, they are not newcomers to the BMW market and have a very well-earned reputation. I'm happy that they have considered releasing something that has been requested for months by piggyback owners, instead of criticizing without even giving it a chance to perform.

I understand you are already in the process of parting out and selling your car, but you are more than welcome to contact ESS at 480.525.9160 if you have any specific questions concerning the Backend Flash if you feel my replies are not satisfactory.
OK Cool. Just a few notes tho.

You keep mentioning JB4. I don't care if the results are JB4 , etronics, active 8, or whatever. I just want to see a before and after with this flash.

You're right it has been requested for months. You're right people like me do want it. But you're wrong if you think I'm criticizing the product or ESS. I just want to see how it works with ANY piggyback system.

Lastly don't worry about my S55 status I'll be around and have one for the long term. You're stuck w/ me
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #94
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

I would def would expect someone would jump on this already. I know for a fact there is tons of JB4 cars in Socal. Really surprised.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #95
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
OK Cool. Just a few notes tho.

You keep mentioning JB4. I don't care if the results are JB4 , etronics, active 8, or whatever. I just want to see a before and after with this flash.

You're right it has been requested for months. You're right people like me do want it. But you're wrong if you think I'm criticizing the product or ESS. I just want to see how it works with ANY piggyback system.

Lastly don't worry about my S55 status I'll be around and have one for the long term. You're stuck w/ me
Customers can go the ESS-Etronic + ESS Backend flash route, or upgrade to a full flash. Most times, we'll go the full flash route as that's simply our preferred route. Decision is always up to the customer.

We've installed a few Dinan Stage 1 tunes (we're a Dinan dealer), and they are happy with the performance the Dinan piggyback provides on their own, along with the Dinan warranty. We don't sell Active, nor see much of their product line on the West Coast, JB4 seems to be the most popular of the bunch.

We're data junkies too, this would already be on our shop M4 if we weren't going a different direction.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #96
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Any takers on this yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #97
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Any takers on this yet?
Has it even been properly explained as to what is being done to change AFR targeting? I don't get it that the vendors want to keep everything secret. Without knowing exactly what it is this is supposed to be doing I couldn't possible imagine purchasing and going through the hassle.

What tables or variables are being targeted? What is being modified? How do we know it even works as intended and is beneficial?
      07-01-2016, 04:56 AM   #98
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Any updates? Dynos? Customer feedbacks?
Appreciate 0