Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

"Best" Tune for 6MT?

Disclaimer: I have a F82 ZCP 6MT that is primarily used as a daily driver with some spirited weekend driving and maybe 1-2 track days a year.

Ask: I'm looking for a "set it and forget it" tune that will get me 500whp. I know its not THAT much more than stock, but that's the number I want to reach. I don't want to be sending files back and forth for custom tuning. I've done that with other cars, and I'm at a point where I just want simplicity. The options I've found to be the most popular are Carbahn and BM3. I like the reliability of Dinan and Carbahn, and that their tune seems to have less low end torque to possibly be safer for the stock clutch. BM3's torque curve seems to be a bit more linear, at least from what their graph reads. Which is truly "best" based on my needs?

TLDR: What's the best reliable tune that will get me to 500whp that will allow me to retain the stock clutch?
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

get BM3. If the tuner doesn't have an app, then you will get caught in the back and forth and become an afterthought like I did with Alpine.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
get BM3. If the tuner doesn't have an app, then you will get caught in the back and forth and become an afterthought like I did with Alpine.
Thanks, but I'm looking for more of a substantial response/recommendation. BM3 might be the easiest tuning option, but it doesn't mean its the best. I was listening to Steve Dinan on The Smoking Tire and he seems to have been taking jabs at BM3's tuning formula. He doesn't call them out specifically, but the way he was describing the tuner, BM3 definitely fits the bill. Anyway, I'm looking for information as to why BM3 might be the better reliable option other than its the common choice. High HP/TQ numbers looks great, until your car blows up...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

I would go with bootmod because of the ease of use and functionality it provides. I also really like the ability to get a custom tune remotely as well share and review logs.

Example. Being able to use your phone and switch maps instantly or make changes to boost reduction in different gears, change burble and adding flex fuel maps.. Oh and they now have throttle sensitivity adjustments. The platform just gets updated and gets better and better.

The tunes you get from bootmod "off the shelf" are very good and reliable. They may not be the most powerful out there but, they are safe based on the shear number of users running their tunes.

Stage 2 and a midpipe will get you around 480whp ish and adding a catless downpipe will hit that 500whp you are looking for on 93 octane.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 07-26-2022 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
I would go with bootmod because of the ease of use and functionality it provides. I also really like the ability to get a custom tune remotely as well share and review logs.

Example. Being able to use your phone and switch maps instantly or make changes to boost reduction in different gears, change burble and adding flex fuel maps.. Oh and they now have throttle sensitivity adjustments. The platform just gets updated and gets better and better.

The tunes you get from bootmod "off the shelf" are very good and reliable. They may not be the most powerful out there but, they are safe based on the shear number of users running their tunes.

Stage 2 and a midpipe will get you around 480whp ish and adding a catless downpipe will hit that 500whp you are looking for on 93 octane.
Thank you. I haven't seen too much info on here regarding upgraded clutches. Maybe because most people get DCT? Will the stock clutch pack hold? I've had tunes for other cars where they just crank up the low end torque to where you're slipping off the rip.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 01:31 PM   #6
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

You can also contact Alex from Alpine (https://alpinemss.com) here at BP.

If you don't want to do it yourself he can remote and do it for you and check that everything is okay and whatnot. Can recommend his services
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 01:40 PM   #7
deeLow
DOPE
Rep

I'm in the same boat as you with 6MT. I don't need anything crazy but I've already gotten used to the power and the mod bug is itching me hard 😁.

How do people feel about MHD? Coming from an ESeries car with MHD, I had good experience with the app and the tune and am curious if the F8X crowd likes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 01:51 PM   #8
coldsoup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3

Hey Javi,
Do you have inspection/emissions where you live? If so, your options may be limited. I'm in the same predicament as you.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
I'm in the same boat as you with 6MT. I don't need anything crazy but I've already gotten used to the power and the mod bug is itching me hard 😁.

How do people feel about MHD? Coming from an ESeries car with MHD, I had good experience with the app and the tune and am curious if the F8X crowd likes it.
At least from what I've gathered on this forum, BM3 > MHD based on the OTS tune options, features, and customer support. I'm not trying to go full race car. Just a bump from stock that won't require me to worry about my clutch or have to change the way I drive too much. Aka, I don't want to be breaking traction all the time, because the tune is mainly a low end torque spike.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 01:57 PM   #10
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsoup View Post
Hey Javi,
Do you have inspection/emissions where you live? If so, your options may be limited. I'm in the same predicament as you.
Yes, I do. I have no desire to go into Stage 2 territory where I need to be worried about having to swap downpipes/midpipes come inspection time. I've done that, and it gets old.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:14 PM   #11
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Easiest way to break 500 RWHP is to run a E85 tune. Youll just need colder plugs.

Driveability is all subjective. Dont be an idiot and smash the gas pedal to WOT... That will light up the tires or cause the rear end to break loose. You need to ease into it slowly.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:23 PM   #12
jibarra
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Easiest way to break 500 RWHP is to run a E85 tune. Youll just need colder plugs.

Driveability is all subjective. Dont be an idiot and smash the gas pedal to WOT... That will light up the tires or cause the rear end to break loose. You need to ease into it slowly.
You mean almost 600 rwhp. Every E85 tuner out there is between 570-600whp with ease.

OP, I have a Stage 2 E85 tune from Cary Jordan, and a 93 stage 2 OTS from BM3. The power curve it has is plenty and on logs you can see that its very safe, while reviews have shown that its just about 500rwhp. I honestly think you can't go wrong with the OTS tune on BM3, as ProTuningFreaks have taken so much data to make sure that these OTS tunes work for all, that it's almost like an OEM design.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2022, 02:28 PM   #13
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
Thanks, but I'm looking for more of a substantial response/recommendation. BM3 might be the easiest tuning option, but it doesn't mean its the best. I was listening to Steve Dinan on The Smoking Tire and he seems to have been taking jabs at BM3's tuning formula. He doesn't call them out specifically, but the way he was describing the tuner, BM3 definitely fits the bill. Anyway, I'm looking for information as to why BM3 might be the better reliable option other than its the common choice. High HP/TQ numbers looks great, until your car blows up...
hey man doesn't seem like you are racing your car so why care. they are all the same shit. regardless of what anyone says. the "best" doesn't exist
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:44 PM   #14
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I track my 6MT F80 about 1-2 times a month and am currently using the OTS Stage 2 Tune with Bootmod3. I was on Stage 1 for a couple years but added catless downpipes so upgraded to Stage 2.

The biggest thing for me that increased drivability on street and especially on track was doing torque reduction. On Stage 1 I did 20/10/10 on gears 1-3 and on Stage 2 I'm doing 20% reduction on gears 1-3. Spinning tires is fun but putting down power on turn exit is more fun for me. The 20% reduction gives you a linear torque curve similar to the GTS/CS levels of power, just a bit more. I leave 4-6 uncapped for the straights on track. Very manageable power IMO and goes really well with the GTS steering/diff that I've got coded in also.

Regardless of what tuner you go with, bootmod3 is the platform most use. I'd suggest trying it out for a low entry fee and playing with the torque reduction and other parameters to your taste. Then you can pay for a custom tune if you still feel the need. But it's definitely the platform that's going to fit your need of "set and forget". The insane OOTB bootmod3 torque curve is what Steve was referring to. It's fun in its own way but doing torque reduction completely changes the power surge to a more linear/NA feel. I love it!
      07-26-2022, 03:05 PM   #15
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
I track my 6MT F80 about 1-2 times a month and am currently using the OTS Stage 2 Tune with Bootmod3. I was on Stage 1 for a couple years but added catless downpipes so upgraded to Stage 2.

The biggest thing for me that increased drivability on street and especially on track was doing torque reduction. On Stage 1 I did 20/10/10 on gears 1-3 and on Stage 2 I'm doing 20% reduction on gears 1-3. Spinning tires is fun but putting down power on turn exit is more fun for me. The 20% reduction gives you a linear torque curve similar to the GTS/CS levels of power, just a bit more. I leave 4-6 uncapped for the straights on track. Very manageable power IMO and goes really well with the GTS steering/diff that I've got coded in also.

Regardless of what tuner you go with, bootmod3 is the platform most use. I'd suggest trying it out for a low entry fee and playing with the torque reduction and other parameters to your taste. Then you can pay for a custom tune if you still feel the need. But it's definitely the platform that's going to fit your need of "set and forget". The insane OOTB bootmod3 torque curve is what Steve was referring to. It's fun in its own way but doing torque reduction completely changes the power surge to a more linear/NA feel. I love it!
Awesome response! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I was going to pair whatever tune I decided on with the GTS package from bimmer-remote too. The torque reduction feature seems promising. No point in having all that power if you can't put it down. Like I sad in a previous reply, I'm not drag racing light to light. Stage 1 with some torque reduction seems like the ticket, until I want more. I don't have much free time for the track, but hopefully that changes next season. Thanks again for the great feedback. I gave you a follow in IG too.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #16
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
6MT driver here. I'm all in on the BPM Sport tune for manual cars. In particular the GTS tune is smooth and linear.

You will have to email back and forth twice or so but other than that you do the install on your computer.

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #17
CYANiDE
First Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0i M Sport

I'm on BM3 with a custom FlexFuel tune from HCP. Making a fair bit more than you are looking to be at for about 4K miles and stock clutch is still working great.

BM3 + FlexFuel would be my recommendation if you have find E85 easily. 500whp is basically a BM3 Stage 1 tune.

Don't overthink it if that's all you're looking for.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2022, 03:37 PM   #18
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
Awesome response! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I was going to pair whatever tune I decided on with the GTS package from bimmer-remote too. The torque reduction feature seems promising. No point in having all that power if you can't put it down. Like I sad in a previous reply, I'm not drag racing light to light. Stage 1 with some torque reduction seems like the ticket, until I want more. I don't have much free time for the track, but hopefully that changes next season. Thanks again for the great feedback. I gave you a follow in IG too.
Thanks gave you a follow back! That is the approach that I took, and it's been great so far. The car is definitely still very quick with torque reduction. In my experience so far this power is all you need to keep up with fast street cars on track, the rest is driver mod! Enjoy!
      07-26-2022, 04:55 PM   #19
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

You and I had the same requests for a tune. Easy answer.
Carbahn.

I saw the same smoking tire podcast and that sold me on their stage 1 tune. The tune is set it and forget it, maintains the reliability and is AWESOME. It is a OEM+ tune, same linear power addition as a stock tune but with added power, and you can really feel it. Not to mention the customer service is amazing.

I really didn’t want to tune, because of the reliability and other issues you have seen on this forum, nor did I want to mess with different fuel MAPS just because I didn’t have a certain octane of gas available, this tune addresses all of that and more.

I wouldn’t hesitate on pulling the trigger on Carbahn, I would do it again 1000 times over.
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2022, 06:06 PM   #20
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

The first tune on my F80 MT6 was BPM Sport Stage 1. I was new to tuning and was looking for advice and extra power, but also needed the (at that time) undetectable re-flash to stock. Power was great but any little changes cost me more money, including little things like burble changes.

Then I saw that Bootmod3 had most of the options I wanted to play with (burble options, cats off, no cold start) as easy drop-down boxes to change on your laptop. Then they came out with the phone app, which is very good. Now it's a no-brainer to pick BM3. I bought a used license for $350 and then went online to add the Map Pack for another $100 (that got me all maps).

Then I went crazy with drag racing, custom tunes and E85, and maxed out the F80. Then I sold the car for a F82 DCT and built it full-send.

For you I would highly recommend buying a used BM3 license for $350, and pick the Stage 2 tune for 93 octane. That gets you right under 500WHP. For this level I also suggest putting a CBC over your stock crank hub. Also download the free Stage 0+ GTS tune and try it. You might like the linear torque on that map.

Kubax86 (bimmer remote guy) did coding on both my cars. Excellent work applying CS/GTS coding to my steering, diff, trans, and his Special MDM.

Feel free to PM direct with questions.
      07-26-2022, 07:33 PM   #21
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
You and I had the same requests for a tune. Easy answer.
Carbahn.

I saw the same smoking tire podcast and that sold me on their stage 1 tune. The tune is set it and forget it, maintains the reliability and is AWESOME. It is a OEM+ tune, same linear power addition as a stock tune but with added power, and you can really feel it. Not to mention the customer service is amazing.

I really didn’t want to tune, because of the reliability and other issues you have seen on this forum, nor did I want to mess with different fuel MAPS just because I didn’t have a certain octane of gas available, this tune addresses all of that and more.

I wouldn’t hesitate on pulling the trigger on Carbahn, I would do it again 1000 times over.
That podcast is what actually lead me to starting this thread. I was pretty set on going with BM3, since it was the most widely used tuning option, but once I heard that podcast I became super skeptical. I get that the vast majority use BM3 and stand by it, but hearing a renowned pro compare his methods to that of "other" tuners definitely makes you reconsider. I'm still not sure which way I'll go, but I appreciate your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:35 PM   #22
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The first tune on my F80 MT6 was BPM Sport Stage 1. I was new to tuning and was looking for advice and extra power, but also needed the (at that time) undetectable re-flash to stock. Power was great but any little changes cost me more money, including little things like burble changes.

Then I saw that Bootmod3 had most of the options I wanted to play with (burble options, cats off, no cold start) as easy drop-down boxes to change on your laptop. Then they came out with the phone app, which is very good. Now it's a no-brainer to pick BM3. I bought a used license for $350 and then went online to add the Map Pack for another $100 (that got me all maps).

Then I went crazy with drag racing, custom tunes and E85, and maxed out the F80. Then I sold the car for a F82 DCT and built it full-send.

For you I would highly recommend buying a used BM3 license for $350, and pick the Stage 2 tune for 93 octane. That gets you right under 500WHP. For this level I also suggest putting a CBC over your stock crank hub. Also download the free Stage 0+ GTS tune and try it. You might like the linear torque on that map.

Kubax86 (bimmer remote guy) did coding on both my cars. Excellent work applying CS/GTS coding to my steering, diff, trans, and his Special MDM.

Feel free to PM direct with questions.
Those free features, especially the ability to turn off cold start is super appealing. I leave my house early in the morning, and I know my neighbors love me for it. I might take your advice and get a used license, see what's up, and switch if needed. I just hate buying the same thing twice, ya know?
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5461.50