Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-30-2021, 12:57 AM   #1
Imnotjacob22
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Probably not-so-smart solution to crank hub?

Would it be possible to just glue it to the shaft with red lock tight? And if not just please explain why to me. I mean you're not "obligated" to but it would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 01:52 AM   #2
Cboy
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW F87 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotjacob22 View Post
Would it be possible to just glue it to the shaft with red lock tight? And if not just please explain why to me. I mean you're not "obligated" to but it would be appreciated.
Why not use the tried and true crank bolt capture plate?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 02:16 AM   #3
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Because that assumes the bolt backing out is the problem, which is questionable. The interface is a diamond-sintered friction disc which slips, but there’s not any good evidence that the issue is only that the bolt loosens.

Just how much torque do you think loctite is good for anyway?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
Imnotjacob22
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Because that assumes the bolt backing out is the problem, which is questionable. The interface is a diamond-sintered friction disc which slips, but there’s not any good evidence that the issue is only that the bolt loosens.

Quote:
Quote:
Because that assumes the bolt backing out is the problem, which is questionable. The interface is a diamond-sintered friction disc which slips, but there's not any good evidence that the issue is only that the bolt loosens.

Red 271 Loctite can handle 3,000 psi, but I'm not sure how that translates to torque
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 06:57 AM   #5
Imnotjacob22
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because that assumes the bolt backing out is the problem, which is questionable. The interface is a diamond-sintered friction disc which slips, but there's not any good evidence that the issue is only that the bolt loosens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy View Post
Quote:
I honestly didn't know there was a 100 dollar solution, everything was lookin like at least 800 just for the part.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:26 AM   #6
ThatBoostedKid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
2018 Audi TTRS  [9.00]
Quote:
Hey bro sorry to thread hijack I can't respond to your message about the seats as your PMs are closed
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 04:04 PM   #7
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
You need to install a capture plate at a minimum, in my opinion.

The loctite might provide a bit more security than the stock friction disk but most likely not.
You are up against shearing forces along with vibration.
You would be attempting to bond two pieces of metal together with an adhesive, so a couple areas of concern.
You cannot be sure that it is bonded well to the parts.
The surfaces are smooth, and oily. Loctite might disintegrate over time from vibration and exposure to chemicals and heat.

If you actually were at a point to where you could loctite a hub to the crank shaft, you're already 1200$ into labor minimum at that point you should just pony up the extra money and buy a high quality aftermarket hub and have it installed.

Also yes, the bolt can and will loosen, There is no locking mechanism to it other than the torque and friction in the threads.
Appreciate 1
ntg442891.50
      08-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #8
Imnotjacob22
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Quote:
You need to install a capture plate at a minimum, in my opinion.

The loctite might provide a bit more security than the stock friction disk but most likely not.
You are up against shearing forces along with vibration.
You would be attempting to bond two pieces of metal together with an adhesive, so a couple areas of concern.
You cannot be sure that it is bonded well to the parts.
The surfaces are smooth, and oily. Loctite might disintegrate over time from vibration and exposure to chemicals and heat.

If you actually were at a point to where you could loctite a hub to the crank shaft, you're already 1200$ into labor minimum at that point you should just pony up the extra money and buy a high quality aftermarket hub and have it installed.

Also yes, the bolt can and will loosen, There is no locking mechanism to it other than the torque and friction in the threads.
Labors not *too* much of an issue thankfully. I have a shop and experience mechanic on hand, so I was just wondering if there was any way to no pay almost 1k to hot rod worry free. I probably won't go the cheap route but damn man lol
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 04:52 PM   #9
Alexander13.
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Ind.

Quote:
Labors not *too* much of an issue thankfully. I have a shop and experience mechanic on hand, so I was just wondering if there was any way to no pay almost 1k to hot rod worry free. I probably won't go the cheap route but damn man lol
Why don'v you just V the hub, crank gear, crank and lay a nice weld in there if you want a cheap option and labour isn't an issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #10
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander13. View Post
Quote:
Why don'v you just V the hub, crank gear, crank and lay a nice weld in there if you want a cheap option and labour isn't an issue?
How about drill 4 holes all the way through the hub-washer sandwich…
leave the drill bits in the holes as pins…
add a big washer and loctite it all together. That should work for at least 350HP right?

I like the v-weld idea too…

Anyone want to see if Krazy-Glue works?

Sorry, I couldn't resist the sarcastic comments above. A CBC is a good solution for up to 600 HP range, others may say higher but I'm cautious.
      08-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #11
Imnotjacob22
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It sounds interesting, but I'm just gettin started out in the mechanic world, what does v'ing the crank mean?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 06:36 PM   #12
Imnotjacob22
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
add a big washer and loctite it all together. That should work for at least 350HP right?

Sorry, I couldn't resist the sarcastic comments above. A CBC is a good solution for up to 600 HP range, others may say higher but I'm cautious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That's all fair man, appreciate the insight
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:56 PM   #13
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It sounds interesting, but I'm just gettin started out in the mechanic world, what does v'ing the crank mean?
It's how you weld big plate steel, by having each edge beveled, butt those 2 ends to make the V, and lay the weld bead inside the V. Think battleships. We were joking. Just buy the Insane Performance 1-piece hub, put a CBC on top, and your S55 is almost bulletproof.
      08-30-2021, 08:09 PM   #14
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Running stock power levels? Don’t do anything until your warranty is up, then and only then, run your tune and throw on a CBC if you’re spooked about SCH. $100 and a couple hours on a Saturday and then call it a day. FWIW I threw blue loctite on my pulley bolts when installing the CBC. The CBC just acts to stop the crank bolt from losing torque, and therefore avoiding the loss of lateral pressure that is crucial for the friction washer to remain effective. I believe this is ultimately what you are trying to achieve with the red loctite idea.

Running higher than OE power (FYI GTS is OE power)? Well that’s your prerogative - go full fix if it makes you feel better, I know I would for sure if I’m tuning for big power. Just please, please, please don’t come back and start talking about SCH like it’s an “Achilles heel” (looking at you, iNfLuEnCeRs) and everyone’s engine is going to explode without their shop’s CH “fix”
      08-30-2021, 08:13 PM   #15
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Interesting idea. I never thought about welding the CH. I think that would work.
      08-30-2021, 08:16 PM   #16
Imnotjacob22
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Running stock power levels? Don't do anything until your warranty is up, then and only then, run your tune and throw on a CBC if you're spooked about SCH. $100 and a couple hours on a Saturday and then call it a day. FWIW I threw blue loctite on my pulley bolts when installing the CBC. The CBC just acts to stop the crank bolt from losing torque, and therefore avoiding the loss of lateral pressure that is crucial for the friction washer to remain effective. I believe this is ultimately what you are trying to achieve with the red loctite idea.

Running higher than OE power (FYI GTS is OE power)? Well that's your prerogative - go full fix if it makes you feel better, I know I would for sure if I'm tuning for big power. Just please, please, please don't come back and start talking about SCH like it's an "Achilles heel" (looking at you, iNfLuEnCeRs) and everyone's engine is going to explode without their shop's CH "fix"
No it's an amazing car by all means and when you rip and roar in a car, you're going to find the weakest link
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7609.00
      08-30-2021, 08:21 PM   #17
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
No it's an amazing car by all means and when you rip and roar in a car, you're going to find the weakest link
Oh yah, you can rip and roar on these things all day, every day and they are solid. The GT4 race cars use the exact same CH and they don’t have any systematic CH issues. Apex & Lichtfield also only run a CBC on their track built cars that are regulars on the N’Ring. The problem only really arises with consistency when the car is tuned beyond the limits of the CH design, at which point, it’s prudent to pay for a CH fix. I run stock so I’ll never get to that point, but it’s seemingly around the 600 +- 50hp mark based on feedback from forum members here