EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-20-2022, 09:28 PM   #23
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thicsilverf30 View Post
So it was the thermostat and not the oil temperature sensor? My f80 m3 literally stays on 160 degrees all the way left of gauge all the time it's annoying. I can't even measure my oil sometimes due to it
Thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 07:11 AM   #24
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

That gauge in the instrument cluster does not measure your motor oil temperature. It measures your coolant/engine temperature.

Reason why I know is because my coolant thermostat was stuck open and that gauge in our instrument cluster never moved to the right at all. Effectively with it stuck open, the coolant flow never stopped and was over cooling the car which never allowed it to fully warmed up. Causing poor gas mileage and bogging. But yes, better than being stuck closed, which would result in overheating, as some shops told you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:35 AM   #25
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
Thermostat.
Which thermostat? I have one person telling me it's the coolant thermostat that's staying open and concocting the engine and oil.... then I have others saying it's the oil thermostat?

I need to know which so I can replace. My coolant Temps are like 200-210 most the time and oil is always like 160 or even 140 in sport and sport plus..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #26
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post
That gauge in the instrument cluster does not measure your motor oil temperature. It measures your coolant/engine temperature.

Reason why I know is because my coolant thermostat was stuck open and that gauge in our instrument cluster never moved to the right at all. Effectively with it stuck open, the coolant flow never stopped and was over cooling the car which never allowed it to fully warmed up. Causing poor gas mileage and bogging. But yes, better than being stuck closed, which would result in overheating, as some shops told you.
Oil temp is engine temp. I feel like oil temp takes lot longer to reach 220 after a fresh oil change. When I'm due for oil change, I notice it would reach 220 pretty quick.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:50 AM   #27
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

OKAY SO YOUR COOLANT THERMOSTAT WAS STUCK OPEN..... WHAT WAS YOUR OIL AND COOLANT TEMPS EACH??

WAS COOLANT TEMP REALLY COLD LIKE 180? AND YOUR OIL LIKE 150? I THOUGHT THE GUAGE ON THE DASH IS LITERALLY OIL TEMPERATURE AS IT SAYS THE OIL SYMBOL IN IT.

How did you diagnose this?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:06 PM   #28
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
Thermostat.
Please see the photos... car is constantly like 140-160 degrees on oil and coolant is like 200 something.

I can replace either part but I am hearing it's the coolant thermostat and then I heard it's the oil thermo. Is the oil gauge on dash controlled by the coolant?

Won't let me upload photo. I'll try in next post
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #29
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Please see pictures. Need will stay there for like 2 seconds at like 165/170
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:13 PM   #30
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Please see pictures. Need will stay there for like 2 seconds at like 165/170
I think you're right. Coolent temp is at 210 and oil temp is at 165
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 01:02 PM   #31
Jeremy Billiel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmunk View Post
Quote:

Oil temp is engine temp. I feel like oil temp takes lot longer to reach 220 after a fresh oil change. When I'm due for oil change, I notice it would reach 220 pretty quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmunk View Post
Quote:

What are you talking about? Oil temp and engine (coolant) temps are not the same thing
      06-27-2022, 02:05 AM   #32
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Everyone's an expert
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 02:15 AM   #33
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

OKAY SO YOUR COOLANT THERMOSTAT WAS STUCK OPEN..... WHAT WAS YOUR OIL AND COOLANT TEMPS EACH??

WAS COOLANT TEMP REALLY COLD LIKE 180? AND YOUR OIL LIKE 150? I THOUGHT THE GUAGE ON THE DASH IS LITERALLY OIL TEMPERATURE AS IT SAYS THE OIL SYMBOL IN IT.

How did you diagnose this?
Motor oil temps fluctuated normally. So during normal driving it would hover between 200-225F while coolant and engine temps never exceed 153F when the thermostat was stuck open. I also received the following DTC code ID2008 "Characteristic field thermostat: is stuck open".
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 11:34 AM   #34
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Motor oil temps fluctuated normally. So during normal driving it would hover between 200-225F while coolant and engine temps never exceed 153F when the thermostat was stuck open. I also received the following DTC code ID2008 "Characteristic field thermostat: is stuck open".

Well..... I have just changed out my oil thermostat with a brand new OEM unit.... installed and drove 100 miles.... still the same issue. Car won't read anything above 165 degrees.... always in the 130 to 160 range even after hard driving for an hour....

What do I do? What's next... this is literally ridiculous I can't get my oil temp up. BRAND NEW OEM thermostat from BMW as well
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 09:32 PM   #35
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmart Parking Lot View Post
UPDATE: Scroll down a few posts and you will see a long post.

For some reason the average running temperature is much lower than my previous 2015 M4 (non ZCP). I just got a 2018 ZCP and it's running much cooler even when it's fully warmed up (50 min of driving and over 50 miles). I've tried Efficient and Sport mode and I've also tried driving it hard but it doesn't change anything.

Please see the picture. The white arrow is where it is at when I'm driving and it's fully warmed up. The red line is where it is at when I come to a stop and I'm idling at a red light fully warmed up. The green arrow is where my 2015 used to be when it was fully warmed up (driving and idling).

I'm at the dealership and they're telling me it's no big deal since it's not overheating. There's got to be something wrong. What's wrong with it?

Can anyone else chime in? I replaced oil thermostat and still have the same issue...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 09:33 PM   #36
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well..... I have just changed out my oil thermostat with a brand new OEM unit.... installed and drove 100 miles.... still the same issue. Car won't read anything above 165 degrees.... always in the 130 to 160 range even after hard driving for an hour....

What do I do? What's next... this is literally ridiculous I can't get my oil temp up. BRAND NEW OEM thermostat from BMW as well
You need to change out your coolant thermostat like I said earlier. Not your motor oil thermostat. Coolant thermostat looks like this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 03:20 AM   #37
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmart Parking Lot View Post
UPDATE: Scroll down a few posts and you will see a long post.

For some reason the average running temperature is much lower than my previous 2015 M4 (non ZCP). I just got a 2018 ZCP and it's running much cooler even when it's fully warmed up (50 min of driving and over 50 miles). I've tried Efficient and Sport mode and I've also tried driving it hard but it doesn't change anything.

Please see the picture. The white arrow is where it is at when I'm driving and it's fully warmed up. The [COLOR="Red"]red[/COLOR] line is where it is at when I come to a stop and I'm idling at a red light fully warmed up. The [COLOR="SeaGreen"]green[/COLOR] arrow is where my 2015 used to be when it was fully warmed up (driving and idling).

I'm at the dealership and they're telling me it's no big deal since it's not overheating. There's got to be something wrong. What's wrong with it?

So, is this gauge the coolant temperature gauge, or the oil temperature gauge? I see some different responses.
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #38
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
So, is this gauge the coolant temperature gauge, or the oil temperature gauge? I see some different responses.
It's oil... you can see my digital read oit read the same... thats oil
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2022, 09:29 PM   #39
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You need to change out your coolant thermostat like I said earlier. Not your motor oil thermostat. Coolant thermostat looks like this.
Where is this located and how do you change it?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 10:14 PM   #40
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
It's oil... you can see my digital read oit read the same... thats oil
I saw your post and figured that, but just needed some clarification.
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 08:50 PM   #41
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Replaced oil/coolant sensor on front near oil housing... still no change. Wtf
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 12:33 PM   #42
Judd
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

I'm pretty sure my oil thermostat is stuck open also. Letting the vehicle sit and it will read 85c-95c, when driving it will drop down to 70-75c on hot summer days. On colder days in in eastern canda my engine oil temp will never exceed 75c.

Does anyone have a decent video/Guide on how to actually change out the thermostat. He see lost of videos on the Mosselman unit.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #43
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping Cart Comp

Quote:
Replaced oil/coolant sensor on front near oil housing... still no change. Wtf
Replace the entire oil thermostat
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 08:12 AM   #44
Judd
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judd View Post
I'm pretty sure my oil thermostat is stuck open also. Letting the vehicle sit and it will read 85c-95c, when driving it will drop down to 70-75c on hot summer days. On colder days in in eastern canda my engine oil temp will never exceed 75c.

Does anyone have a decent video/Guide on how to actually change out the thermostat. He see lost of videos on the Mosselman unit.

Thank you
Repalced my Engine oil thermostat, situation normal. It's not the engine coolant thermostat.
Appreciate 0