Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-09-2018, 03:02 AM   #1
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP M4 / Z3 2.8

DCT “Transmission Temperature Warning”

Tonight I was driving down the freeway cruising around 80mph and I get a message “transmission temperature warning” it says lower the speed if possible. After 10 seconds it went away and came back again for another 10 seconds then it was gone for good.

Has anyone else experience this?

I have 2015 m4 DCT. Sounds like a software issue (hoping)
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Some people that tracked their M reported something similar, the DCT stores tons of info and stats like DME, so if you are a DIYer type you can look and query the temperature stats to see if it’s an isolated issue, and also use ISTA to diagnose for fun.

IMHO, best schedule an appointment with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ahh okay I bought my car certified used.. damn haha previous owner! I’ll get it check by dealer
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

had the same problem, but when was on drag race using a launch
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTR View Post
had the same problem, but when was on drag race using a launch
Did u have to get it fix?
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Stop by dealer...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
ross22
Private
Rep
Drives: N54 + S55

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Some people that tracked their M reported something similar, the DCT stores tons of info and stats like DME, so if you are a DIYer type you can look and query the temperature stats to see if it’s an isolated issue, and also use ISTA to diagnose for fun.

IMHO, best schedule an appointment with your dealer.

What tool can we use to read the transmission fluid temperature? I got the warning while drag racing. I'm thinking of adding some additional cooling, however I want to see where the ranges are and if any additional cooling would really help versus upgrading the clutches.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross22 View Post
What tool can we use to read the transmission fluid temperature?
If you read the above thread I linked you'll know which tool, but don't waste your time, it's an advanced BMW tool that most don't know how to use. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
ross22
Private
Rep
Drives: N54 + S55

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
If you read the above thread I linked you'll know which tool, but don't waste your time, it's an advanced BMW tool that most don't know how to use. Sorry!
Thanks, I've been on the hunt for a good diagnostic tool/adaptation reset tool. I may have to bite the bullet and buy a shop quality scanner. I bought the BavAuto ($700) for my E9x platform, sadly it won't work on the F8x platform.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross22 View Post
Thanks, I've been on the hunt for a good diagnostic tool/adaptation reset tool. I may have to bite the bullet and buy a shop quality scanner. I bought the BavAuto ($700) for my E9x platform, sadly it won't work on the F8x platform.
Well tool32 and ISTA is free :, and combined they do everything you can imagine. ISTA is what is used by BMW techs. I have not found anywhere in ISTA where DCT temp is reported but it could be there (maybe in ECU functions), hence why I used tool32. You guys gotta read and search a bit ...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #11
jamestechman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I was getting the transmission temperature warning on my 2015 m4, took it to an indy shop, ran codes, check for common things and they said they couldn't identify the issue. I was dreading going to the delearship you know the same spiel, try to replace the sensor, try this and that and after so called process of elimination and countless money its gets fixed (hopefully). So at that point I knew I had to replace the air filter was getting dirty. I bought the car used and it came with an AFE cold air intake with oiled filters. When the filters came in, I started working on it. Lo and Behold I noticed that on the passenger side of the air intake valve, the clamp camp off so the valve was displaced. Because of this, it wasnt pulling in enough air in the engine. This made sense because the symptoms I was seeing was that the warning was going on when I was at low gear and under 30 miles but would go away once I picked up speed or if I was driving in sports mode. So moral of the story, this warning can happen for a variety of reasons and not due to an actually temperature. In my case, it was just throwing the transmission temperature as a generic fault code because it didn't know how to identify the issue.

The bad thing is that, the issue started cropping up again after a few months out the blue. I checked the intake value and its sealed tight. The car is very jerky because of the cold air intake, its been like since the beginning when I purchased the car and the previous owner mentioned to get it tuned. I think I need a DCT software reset or an engine and plan to take it into the stealership.
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #12
whoismorggan
Bimmer Nut + Software Dev
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3 Premium +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestechman View Post
I bought the car used and it came with an AFE cold air intake with oiled filters. When the filters came in, I started working on it. Lo and Behold I noticed that on the passenger side of the air intake valve, the clamp camp off so the valve was displaced. Because of this, it wasnt pulling in enough air in the engine. This made sense because the symptoms I was seeing was that the warning was going on when I was at low gear and under 30 miles but would go away once I picked up speed or if I was driving in sports mode. So moral of the story, this warning can happen for a variety of reasons and not due to an actually temperature. In my case, it was just throwing the transmission temperature as a generic fault code because it didn't know how to identify the issue.
I've been having this warning come up. Both before I installed the VRSF intake and after. I'm not sure if it would be intake related. On my previous car, a '13 BMW 328i, it would throw a "Drivetrain Malfunction" as a catch-all error sporadically.

Is the "Transmission Temperature Warning" a catch-all in the same way? Does the F80 have the same "Drivetrain Malfunction" warning?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #13
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I don't know if this issue was ever resolved, but I've been having this issue on and off for more than a year now on my 2011 135i. About 10 months ago I had the DCT fully serviced with new fluids and filters as well as new clutch pack (OEM, the theory was that they were slipping), but after a few months it came back.
New theory is that the temp sensor is faulty/failing inside the transmission itself. Problem now is that it's a $2k job, and my car is out of warranty, and I've been too lazy to schedule an appt and have to cough up that much money to replace a stupid $20 sensor.

I would say 80-90% of the time, I have no issue, but the few times it does happen, the car wants to go into a higher rpm, and downshifts to try to reduce load on the transmission (I think), and that gets really annoying. Of the recent times I've had it happen, once was I had just gotten to a nearby twisty road and I was about to start a day of casual fun cruising up there, only to get the error and downshifting a couple corners into my drive. Kept giving me the error message and chime as well as downshifting and increasing RPM even as I was coasting the car down the hill, only on the brakes. Another time I got it, I was pulling into a driveway and the car started downshifting and increasing RPMs as I'm waiting for a few people to cross in front of me. Made me look like that D-bag BMW driver revving my car at them.

Not sure if anyone else has tried to go down the sensor replacement path to try to fix the issue, but if so, please let us know if it fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #14
sagi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I don't know if this issue was ever resolved, but I've been having this issue on and off for more than a year now on my 2011 135i. About 10 months ago I had the DCT fully serviced with new fluids and filters as well as new clutch pack (OEM, the theory was that they were slipping), but after a few months it came back.
New theory is that the temp sensor is faulty/failing inside the transmission itself. Problem now is that it's a $2k job, and my car is out of warranty, and I've been too lazy to schedule an appt and have to cough up that much money to replace a stupid $20 sensor.

I would say 80-90% of the time, I have no issue, but the few times it does happen, the car wants to go into a higher rpm, and downshifts to try to reduce load on the transmission (I think), and that gets really annoying. Of the recent times I've had it happen, once was I had just gotten to a nearby twisty road and I was about to start a day of casual fun cruising up there, only to get the error and downshifting a couple corners into my drive. Kept giving me the error message and chime as well as downshifting and increasing RPM even as I was coasting the car down the hill, only on the brakes. Another time I got it, I was pulling into a driveway and the car started downshifting and increasing RPMs as I'm waiting for a few people to cross in front of me. Made me look like that D-bag BMW driver revving my car at them.

Not sure if anyone else has tried to go down the sensor replacement path to try to fix the issue, but if so, please let us know if it fixed it.

Do you have a tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #15
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

Do you have a tune?
Yeah, I had a JB4 a while ago. Removed it at some point, switched to MHD.

Do you think the tune would have something to do with it? I mean I've had the temp warning come on even in relatively short drives, 15 mins or so. Or sometimes while cruising at 35mph. Just seems weird.
I need to start logging all the time so when it comes on I can see the temp reading. I have a feeling it will shoot up real high randomly.

The other note is sometimes when I get the temp warning and higher revs etc, it'll come on for 3 seconds, then go away for a few seconds, then come back on, sometimes repeat a few times, sometimes only repeat twice. That also adds to me thinking it's a sensor going haywire. Or an electrical short on the sensor I guess too.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I got that code a few times, I also had a leak from my top mount.

Upgrading the cooler fixed both issues

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #17
sagi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Did you end up figuring out the issue?

So these temp issues really only started happening after a tune. Interesting, start by logging for sure and see when it spikes. Try going back to stock and see if it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #18
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagi View Post
Did you end up figuring out the issue?

So these temp issues really only started happening after a tune. Interesting, start by logging for sure and see when it spikes. Try going back to stock and see if it happens again.
I traded the car in awhile back and dealership took it back with no fuss. Thanks tho!
Appreciate 1
jwt679.00
      12-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
Nisse Järnet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 S55 swapped

This can be a bit tricky, since the DCT is not only using raw sensor data for all it's values, some values are calculated.
So for example if you are using tires with too much diameter difference front/rear, the DCT might think your clutch is slipping a bit and then throw a temp code, because it knows the clutch will get too hot.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #20
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
This can be a bit tricky, since the DCT is not only using raw sensor data for all it's values, some values are calculated.
So for example if you are using tires with too much diameter difference front/rear, the DCT might think your clutch is slipping a bit and then throw a temp code, because it knows the clutch will get too hot.
Just to note on this theory, I've been running a square tire setup for some time now, still get this random error.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:17 AM   #21
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I had this pop up while driving at like 60 mph on the freeway on a cool day. I think it must have been a weird glitch because it never came back, and I wasn't driving aggressively whatsoever, exactly the opposite. This was like 2 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #22
dgbattman
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 N55 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
My rears are nearly thru the tread, fronts virtually unworn…would that do it? If so, I would LOVE it to be so easy.
Appreciate 2