Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-12-2024, 01:12 PM   #111
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
For the last 8-9 months I've been working on and off on a solution for this. A prototype is currently being tested.

Main points are:
1. Completely new LPFP bucket design in aluminum, which will hold 30+% more fuel

2. Upgraded venturis for higher flow and replenishment of the bucket

3. Added an additional pick-up point on the driver's side, with a surface area much wider than a fuel pump sock

4. Lift pump for the additional pick-up point remains on the passenger's side and is still controlled by the DME (The DME will PWM the lift pump up and down with respect to engine load, OR can set it to whatever static duty cycle you want with easy to use software)

5. Billet top hat. No drilling will be necessary and no more burnt connectors.

A more detailed post here (ignore the ugly fuel lines, will be upgraded later):
Wow this looks like this could be the ultimate solution!
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 1
-Eidos488.00
      02-12-2024, 01:21 PM   #112
Beyond_Ill
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
For the last 8-9 months I've been working on and off on a solution for this. A prototype is currently being tested.

Main points are:
1. Completely new LPFP bucket design in aluminum, which will hold 30+% more fuel

3. Added an additional pick-up point on the driver's side, with a surface area much wider than a fuel pump sock

4. Lift pump for the additional pick-up point remains on the passenger's side and is still controlled by the DME (The DME will PWM the lift pump up and down with respect to engine load, OR can set it to whatever static duty cycle you want with easy to use software)

Looks very well put together. I'm particularly intrigued by the use of AN fittings on the hat, torqbytes controller, and hydramat. Can't wait to hear more once you're closer to finalizing the prototype.
Appreciate 1
-Eidos488.00
      02-12-2024, 02:56 PM   #113
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:

Main points are:

Ooooohhh... fancy... Looks to be some good work there
Appreciate 1
-Eidos488.00
      02-16-2024, 07:50 PM   #114
Alexander13.
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Ind.

Quote:

Main points are:

Just gave you a follow on Instagram. This looks to be the business
Appreciate 1
-Eidos488.00
      02-24-2024, 10:24 AM   #115
jfritz27
Major
Rep

UPDATE: Ok, since doing the BW starve kit install I've had issues with my fuel gauge acting weird. Just after the install I filled up at pump, and the gauge only went to ~3/4 full. Got around today to opening things back up again, and it did seem like perhaps one of the wires from the BW kit was maybe snagging or interfering with the float, so I moved it around and best I can tell, the float seemed to be free (though once you have everything packed back inside the tank, it is difficult to get a proper view of how things are sitting in relation to each other). I went back to pump and filled up, and still having the same issue (though "better", in that it's now maybe only 1/8 off of full). Right when I got home I disconnected the battery, thinking this might force some kind of "reset" or recalibration, but unfortunately gauge is still off.

Pwurz or anyone else, any ideas? Maybe float is still getting interfered with, but not sure what else to do... Can anyone comment if there is a preferred configuration for the routing of the BW hose and wires once inside the tank? Mine is laying/running on the front side of the pump (towards front seats), as that seemed to be the natural way it wanted to go based on where it ties in to the main pump and the location of the wiring bulkhead, which is towards the front. But maybe it should be forced around the back side? The BW instructions don't comment on this in any way.

Thanks all

Last edited by jfritz27; 02-24-2024 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 10:34 AM   #116
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
UPDATE: Ok, since doing the BW starve kit install I've had issues with my fuel gauge acting weird. Just after the install I filled up at pump, and the gauge only went to ~3/4 full. Got around today to opening things back up again, and it did seem like perhaps one of the wires from the BW kit was maybe snagging or interfering with the float, so I moved it around and best I can tell, the float seemed to be free (though once you have everything packed back inside the tank, it is difficult to get a proper view of how things are sitting in relation to each other). I went back to pump and filled up, and still having the same issue (though "better", in that it's now maybe only 1/8 off of full). Right when I got home I disconnected the battery, thinking this might force some kind of "reset" or recalibration, but unfortunately gauge is still off.

Pwurz or anyone else, any ideas? Maybe float is still getting interfered with, but not sure what else to do... Can anyone comment if there is a preferred configuration of how to try to route the BW hose and wires? Mine is laying/running on the front side of the pump (towards front seats), as that seemed to be the natural way it wanted to go based on how you tie it to the main pump and the position of the wiring bulkhead, which is towards the front. But maybe it should be forced around the back side? The BW instructions don't comment on this in any way.

Thanks all
That's an install issue that can be corrected. Hopefully Phil chimes in, and I guess they need to update the instructions.

Just rest assured, your gauge should continue to work properly
Appreciate 1
jfritz271103.50
      02-27-2024, 10:12 AM   #117
Pwurz
Rep
Drives: SpecE46, GTMore, BimmerBus

Quote:

Pwurz or anyone else, any ideas? Maybe float is still getting interfered with, but not sure what else to do... Can anyone comment if there is a preferred configuration for the routing of the BW hose and wires once inside the tank? Mine is laying/running on the front side of the pump (towards front seats), as that seemed to be the natural way it wanted to go based on where it ties in to the main pump and the location of the wiring bulkhead, which is towards the front. But maybe it should be forced around the back side? The BW instructions don't comment on this in any way.

Thanks all
Sorry I missed this. I'll work on getting the instructions updated as well. I ran the hose behind the main pump to avoid any interference with the float. This is a pretty tough shot to tell, but I inked it to try and show the path of the hose.

Apologies for the confusion on the process here!

Name:  F8X Starvation.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  398.8 KB
Appreciate 2
jfritz271103.50
g221.50
      02-27-2024, 12:59 PM   #118
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwurz View Post
Sorry I missed this. I'll work on getting the instructions updated as well. I ran the hose behind the main pump to avoid any interference with the float. This is a pretty tough shot to tell, but I inked it to try and show the path of the hose.

Apologies for the confusion on the process here!

Attachment 3397816
Cool, thanks for response Phil. That was the only thing I could think of, but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something else before I rip it out again.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 01:57 PM   #119
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Got the tank empty and opened her up again. Routed the new pump house around the back side. Fixed! It's very tight in there, and even with doing that I was skeptical it was going to work as the OEM siphon hose as well as new pump hose remain very close to the float, but if done correctly there is just enough space so there's no interference.

Last edited by jfritz27; 03-09-2024 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 02:14 PM   #120
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

Have not tackled this…seems complex/cumbersome. Maybe I am just procrastinating on this one.
For Pics / Video's visit Instagram https://www.instagram.com/ninekrpm1/
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 02:15 PM   #121
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Got the tank empty and opened her up again. Routed the new pump house around the back side. Fixed! It's very tight in there, and even with doing that I was skeptical it was going to work as the OEM siphon hose as well as new pump hose remain very close the float, but if done correctly there is just enough space so there's no interference.

Glad you got it sorted…
Appreciate 1
jfritz271103.50
      03-09-2024, 03:04 PM   #122
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post
Have not tackled this…seems complex/cumbersome. Maybe I am just procrastinating on this one.
Nah, considering what you've done to your car yourself, this shouldn't be a problem... it really was smooth sailing for 95% -- if I had the foresight to route the new house correctly around the backside would call it easy peasy. Your DIY skills are next level compared to mine for sure.
Appreciate 1
funk323154.00
      03-09-2024, 05:55 PM   #123
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post
Same.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 12:33 PM   #124
6Spd_M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I'm tackling this one today.... Really not looking forward to it....

But, thanks for sharing your experiences jfritz27 And thanks for the continued support Pwurz

Fingers Crossed!!!
Appreciate 1
jfritz271103.50
      03-10-2024, 12:44 PM   #125
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Spd_M View Post

But, thanks for sharing your experiences jfritz27 And thanks for the continued support Pwurz

Fingers Crossed!!!

Look forward to hearing your feedback/experience...

and good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:45 PM   #126
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:

Fingers Crossed!!!
You'll be fine -- the original BW instructions, other than not mentioning about the house routing, were thorough and otherwise on-point.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 05:37 PM   #127
6Spd_M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Alright!! All buttoned up! And I've gotta say... NOT BAD AT ALL

Now, I will say that hindsight 20/20, I would have done this BEFORE installing my roll bar... But it is what it is. All in all it took maybe 1.5 hours. Probably would have been smoother if the roll bar wasn't so difficult to work around.

Haven't taken it for a test run yet, but the install was so simple and smooth that I'm betting there won't be any problems.

My ONLY 'issue' (if you'll even call it that) is a small unknown if the pump is actually resting on the bottom of the tank or not. It's virtually impossible to see. I just hope I "snaked" it down the tube far enough.

As soon as I get on track I'll provide feedback! Thanks BW for the great kit!!
Appreciate 2
ninekrpm536.00
jfritz271103.50
      03-10-2024, 11:06 PM   #128
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

my feedback is that this definitely works. At my home track I consistently get fuel starve at around 2/3 tank on a certain long RH turn. After the kit installed I can run to 1/3 tank and still no starve. Did not get to test lower than that, but I am satisfied.
      03-10-2024, 11:21 PM   #129
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Alright!! All buttoned up! And I've gotta say... NOT BAD AT ALL

Now, I will say that hindsight 20/20, I would have done this BEFORE installing my roll bar... But it is what it is. All in all it took maybe 1.5 hours. Probably would have been smoother if the roll bar wasn't so difficult to work around.

Haven't taken it for a test run yet, but the install was so simple and smooth that I'm betting there won't be any problems.

My ONLY 'issue' (if you'll even call it that) is a small unknown if the pump is actually resting on the bottom of the tank or not. It's virtually impossible to see. I just hope I "snaked" it down the tube far enough.

As soon as I get on track I'll provide feedback! Thanks BW for the great kit!!
Good to hear…going to give it a shot next weekend. Appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:34 AM   #130
6Spd_M
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I wanted to take a minute after some thought last night and share some photos, and some things I did that may help out anyone looking to do this in the near future.

As you can see my space was a little tight, but to be honest, this was still not a bad project at all. I was putting it off and putting it off thinking it was going to be so much worse than it actually was.

Fuel pump install by Matt Kinsey, on Flickr

Carpet lifted up:

Cover in place:

Cover lifted:

1st "challenge"... This damn fuel line. The white clip which is visible in this photo was easy to remove. But the fuel line doesn't just lift up with that clip removed. There's a secondary "lock" (also white) that has to be pulled out on the backside of the connection. This is probably easily visible on an F80 working on it from the passenger door. But on mine as I'm hanging over the roll bar, I couldn't see it immediately and it took probably a solid 5 minutes to figure out the trick with this fuel line.

Once. that's good, remove the locking ring. If you don't have the tool, BUY IT. hitting a metal ring with a metal screwdriver and hammer while fuel is leaking out of the prior mentioned fuel line... One tiny spark and your face is gone. Just buy the tool...

The pump assembly takes a little finagling to get out but again this may be easier working on a car without a roll bar or an F80 working on it from the passenger rear door.

When you do get the pump out per the BW instructions... drain all the fuel out of the pump assembly somewhere safe. I was SHOCKED how much fuel was still hiding in there every time I turned and tilted it.

Also, maybe my aviation background has be being a little anal here, but cover EVERYTHING with rags before taking a dremel to this tab. Little plastic bits are going to be everywhere and I certainly didn't want them in the fuel bowl, filters and all the other stuff. COVER EVERYTHING

Before:

After: (note that some little plastic bits still got everywhere.) Also, it's scary how quickly that tab disappears. And how flush you can get the bottom surface.

Here are three photos, 1: No Hole 2: Hole 3: with empty connector mounted

So pulling the wires through this connector is really the only area that I "deviated" from the instructions. I pulled the rubber seal out of the connector and chose to push the wires through their respective holes and then slide the rubber back into the connector. Maybe it was just me, but this seemed much easier than fighting the whole pump assembly.

Also, it is a little tight trying to push the terminated wires through this rubber piece. Whatever you do... DONT PULL on the tip, or squeeze them with pliers. Like this:

Instead, push from the bottom like this, pushing on the bottom most portion of the pin. Doing anything else will certainly damage the tip of the pin, or the crimping of the pin to the wire. PUSH the pin through like this:

After that, like I said above, I slid the rubber piece and wiring back into the connector, put the plastic nut on, and I left about 4.5" of wire protruding out of the top of the connector. This seemed to me to be the MAX amount of wire that I would want. When the pump is back in the tank and you're pinning the connectors, you definitely don't want too much wire hanging out up there.

Unfortunately I didn't take any more photos after this. The next step was to reinstall the pump assembly in the tank, and when I started to do that it started SNOWING!! I was doing all of this in my driveway, so I just wanted to get it done at that point.

All in all, from this point on the BW instructions were absolutely on point. With jfritz27 comments above about routing the pump hose it was super easy from this point on. Basically reinstall the pump (snaking the auxiliary pump to the other side of the tank. Pin your new connectors, and run the wiring to the grounding point and fuze box. Super easy.

I hope this helps anyone else looking to do this!!!
Appreciate 4
      03-11-2024, 02:38 PM   #131
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So I wanted to take a minute after some thought last night and share some photos, and some things I did that may help out anyone looking to do this in the near future.

As you can see my space was a little tight, but to be honest, this was still not a bad project at all. I was putting it off and putting it off thinking it was going to be so much worse than it actually was.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53581251544_990b402276_z.jpg[/img]Fuel pump install by Matt Kinsey, on Flickr

Carpet lifted up:

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53581147613_317d05772c_z.jpg[/img]Fuel pump install by Matt Kinsey, on Flickr

Cover in place:

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53581147483_153332f37b_z.jpg[/img]Fuel pump install by Matt Kinsey, on Flickr

Cover lifted:

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53581251464_c1f036b6b1_z.jpg[/img]Fuel pump install by Matt Kinsey, on Flickr

1st "challenge"... This damn fuel line. The white clip which is visible in this photo was easy to remove. But the fuel line doesn't just lift [...]
Thank you! Appreciate the references…next weekend it is, no more excuses
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 05:39 PM   #132
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Nice... hope to see you at NJMP again Matt. Very anxious to run through the bowl at Lightning and put this puppy through its paces
Appreciate 0