Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #89
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

i think a few points worth mentioning for folks interested in HPDEs (tangential to the OP). you have to figure out the level of instruction and structure that you like, and select accordingly. i would rank in order of most structure to least:
-BMW GGC CCA
-HoD
-SpeedSF
-ETD

I've only driven with these orgs, and so there is probably a big gap btwn HoD and SpeedSF of orgs that I'm missing. I mostly do HoD (25+ events) because i like the low car counts, and the pre-gridding before each run group goes out.

The SpeedSF events I attended (maybe 3 or 4 total) seemed to have a higher incident rate, but my sample size is small. I really, really liked the coaching I got w/ SpeedSF (I was able to get a lot faster and smoother), because the coach took the time to figure out what I needed to work on, and get me comfortable w/ his input.

I only did two ETD events, and there was a fatal incident at one of them, and haven't been back (the incident wasn't ETD's fault, I just didn't like the overall atmosphere of the events). I have friends who really like ETD, it just wasn't for me.
      03-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #90
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i think a few points worth mentioning for folks interested in HPDEs (tangential to the OP). you have to figure out the level of instruction and structure that you like, and select accordingly. i would rank in order of most structure to least:
-BMW GGC CCA
-HoD
-SpeedSF
-ETD

I've only driven with these orgs, and so there is probably a big gap btwn HoD and SpeedSF of orgs that I'm missing. I mostly do HoD (25+ events) because i like the low car counts, and the pre-gridding before each run group goes out.

The SpeedSF events I attended (maybe 3 or 4 total) seemed to have a higher incident rate, but my sample size is small. I really, really liked the coaching I got w/ SpeedSF (I was able to get a lot faster and smoother), because the coach took the time to figure out what I needed to work on, and get me comfortable w/ his input.

I only did two ETD events, and there was a fatal incident at one of them, and haven't been back (the incident wasn't ETD's fault, I just didn't like the overall atmosphere of the events). I have friends who really like ETD, it just wasn't for me.
Fatalities are few and far between... there has to be a correlation with the less than desirable atmosphere and the tragic outcome. Care to elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #91
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I actually have the OP as the only member I ignore🤔 it's not just me!?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #92
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I actually have the OP as the only member I ignore🤔 it's not just me!?
Nope. I’ve one member on my ignore list and it takes an inordinate amount to get there. He is not the one.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #93
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Fatalities are few and far between... there has to be a correlation with the less than desirable atmosphere and the tragic outcome. Care to elaborate?
https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...ck-by-race-car

I don't think it had anything to do with the track organization, it was a tragic incident regarding a corner worker going onto the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:17 AM   #94
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
For those very new to HPDEs, I would recommend BMW CCA anywhere as first choice, then followed by PCA anywhere. Both organizations have formal instructor training and approval. They also have instructors and classes in all groups... not just novice. So in advance, they really teach you advance techniques (including the rain line, if its raining which was really neat for me).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #95
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Nope. I’ve one member on my ignore list and it takes an inordinate amount to get there. He is not the one.
sorry for the delayed reply. earlier that day, in advanced group (i was in intermediate), there was contact between an E46 M3 and a radical, and the radical took a lot of damage. there was no debrief nor discussion of the incident (you are pretty much left to your own devices). i like in HoD how after any incident, it will get discussed in the debrief session after each session. if possible, i'd like to learn as much as possible about what caused any incident.

again, this isn't for everyone: i have friends who absolutely hate the debriefs, driver intros, etc.
      03-30-2021, 11:31 AM   #96
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
Quote:
sorry for the delayed reply. earlier that day, in advanced group (i was in intermediate), there was contact between an E46 M3 and a radical, and the radical took a lot of damage. there was no debrief nor discussion of the incident (you are pretty much left to your own devices). i like in HoD how after any incident, it will get discussed in the debrief session after each session. if possible, i'd like to learn as much as possible about what caused any incident.

again, this isn't for everyone: i have friends who absolutely hate the debriefs, driver intros, etc.
I like debriefs at least one a day. You get to clear the air and it keeps people honest and polite lest they be called out in the download. This past weekend we had a debate that the car pointing by (I was in high intermediate that day) is to stay on the racing line and the car passing is to go off line. One driver kept insisting that going off line is dangerous because it's not the optimal line for going fast. He argued the car slowing down should go off line because it's less risky. I think a lot of us were just saying "just slow down". Take the off line at the appropriate speed. No one is forcing you to maintain pace off line. I really don't get the egos about having to slow down. Yes it sucks you didn't get a clean lap but there is no trophy at the end of the day.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #97
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I like debriefs at least one a day. You get to clear the air and it keeps people honest and polite lest they be called out in the download. This past weekend we had a debate that the car pointing by (I was in high intermediate that day) is to stay on the racing line and the car passing is to go off line. One driver kept insisting that going off line is dangerous because it's not the optimal line for going fast. He argued the car slowing down should go off line because it's less risky. I think a lot of us were just saying "just slow down". Take the off line at the appropriate speed. No one is forcing you to maintain pace off line. I really don't get the egos about having to slow down. Yes it sucks you didn't get a clean lap but there is no trophy at the end of the day.
A good driver should be able to drive anywhere on track. My definition of a good driver is not one that is able to follow "the line" to perfection, it is one that is able to make the best of any potential situation.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-31-2021 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 3
jmg18658.50
Suds1597.00
kpaso183.00