Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

04-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Can bus mapping

What do I need to find out what CAN channels are for the different sensors in an F82?

I am thinking about a data acquisition device like racecapture pro and it seems relatively simple to program to log data directly from the CAN bus. This will give me access to data that isn't available through OBDII.

Ista/p will provide the information?

Caveat - I pretend to know what I'm doing. In reality I have no clue.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
hakcar
**on hiatus**
Rep
Drives: F82

That's old (from an E90) but some of the info is still relevant (although not all the speeds).

This book is pretty awesome, and may be helpful, especially the parts about SocketCAN, message filtering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
@Woodengun , CAN is old albeit still supported and used protocol. If you have the know how, DoIP, UDS,... over enet is the way to go !
Appreciate 1
hakcar62.50
      05-03-2017, 03:20 AM   #4
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakcar View Post

That's old (from an E90) but some of the info is still relevant (although not all the speeds).

This book is pretty awesome, and may be helpful, especially the parts about SocketCAN, message filtering, etc.
K-CAN2 isn't shown.

There were some diagrams attached to some posts in various forums, but I am not getting a search hit.

Ista/p should provide the information, iirc.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 04:44 AM   #5
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
K-CAN2 isn't shown.

There were some diagrams attached to some posts in various forums, but I am not getting a search hit.

You mean ISTA/D, but maybe ISTA/P also...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
hakcar
**on hiatus**
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
K-CAN2 isn't shown.

Yes, you're correct.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GCinFLA284.00
      05-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #7
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

You need the CAN signal ID to map to racecapture.

Craig Smith has some good reverse engineering videos on YouTube under opengarages.

I have ordered a CAN network device so I can run cansniffer and will post back when I figure this out.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
...I have ordered a CAN network device so I can run cansniffer and will post back when I figure this out.
That racetrack/pro is a cool box with extensibility capabilities! You will be swimming in a sea of packets and even if use the technique of creating an action and monitoring/sniffing the CAN traffic, it will take you a long long time to figure out non basic stuff.

It all depends if you are looking for standard stuff or some non standard CAN channels you can use for track (I saw your post there). None of the commercial boxes do anything special, like brake pressure data. Read this thread and this post.

Note: as you see above and attached pic, there are many flavours of CAN buses and others, OBD exposes CAN hi/lo, but not sure if that provides access to all the other internal can busses...it should but food for thought. And what about flexray?

Once you get to the fun part and you think you found the packets for some action, or if you are looking for some specific channel that you either want to stream or monitor, let me know and I can provide you with the UDS payload data that I think is also used in CAN so at least you aren't "blind". I have never done anything with CAN but I noticed the payload data is the same at least in the one case I've seen some can data in this thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-07-2017 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
...I have ordered a CAN network device so I can run cansniffer and will post back when I figure this out.
That racetrack/pro is a cool box with extensibility capabilities! You will be swimming in a sea of packets and even if use the technique of creating an action and monitoring/sniffing the CAN traffic, it will take you a long long time to figure out non basic stuff.

It all depends if you are looking for standard stuff or some non standard CAN channels you can use for track (I saw your post there). None of the commercial boxes do anything special, like brake pressure data. Read this thread and this post.

Note: as you see above and attached pic, there are many flavours of CAN buses and others, OBD exposes CAN hi/lo, but not sure if that provides access to all the other internal can busses...it should but food for thought. And what about flexray?

Once you get to the fun part and you think you found the packets for some action, or if you are looking for some specific channel that you either want to stream or monitor, let me know and I can provide you with the UDS payload data that I think is also used in CAN so at least you aren't "blind". I have never done anything with CAN but I noticed the payload data is the same at least in the one case I've seen some can data in this thread.
Thanks for the input. My CANAct should be delivered this week and I will post my findings.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep

I did a quick test logging CAN packets and there is not much to report. I see very little broadcast traffic on the CAN bus through the OBD port and I suspect this has to do with the multiple busses in the car. I need to learn more about CAN and where to tap directly into the bus(s) before proceeding.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Where are you mounting the racecapturepro?

I'm thinking about gutting the cupholder area and mounting mine in that space.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #12
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun View Post
Where are you mounting the racecapturepro?

I'm thinking about gutting the cupholder area and mounting mine in that space.
Was planning to make a bracket to have it sit in the cubby under the armrest, there is a lot of space there.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Has anyone made progress with mapping CAN id-s ? I'm also considering racecapture and this old thread is the best resource I found so far.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #14
SafariEdition
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I'm gonna go ahead and bump this too, in hopes that during the lockdown someone has gotten bored and looked into this. I know we can tap into the CAN through the module behind the passenger side kickplate, but have been struggling to find anything that anyone has done on the F8X cars. I have the Racecapture and want to get as much useful data as possible, and OBDII is slow enough that almost nothing is useful from there.
      08-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #15
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I have a 2011 E92 and my friend has a 2016 F83. On his car, I have tried using my code reader (Foxwell) and laptop, both using ODBII but I can't seem to read anything. I have used these tools and software (ISTA/D, INPA, NCS Expert, etc) on my car, but I can't even identify his car. Is the pin configuration different? Do I need an adapter or something?
      12-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #16
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

By know, from all my tests and info found, I know that the OBDII port is filtered and you can't get any CAN BUS traffic from it, you will need to tap into the PT-CAN wires, where ever you find it convenient.

I plan to install my RC somewhere in the armrest area, so will probably tap PT-CAN wires from the gear shifter ( I have AT gearbox ) and power from the 12V lighter socket.

I'm still hoping that someone already found the ID's tough, or most of them anyways.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #17
calubi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Has anyone figured out basic ids? I'm also interested in being able to capture CAN data for track logging.
Appreciate 0