BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Lowering car on coilovers requires adjustable sway bar end links

Ok guys, technical question.. When you lower car on coilovers, I noticed that the length of the front toe link (from swaybar to the shock mount) increases, thus at static loaded state the swaybar is now under load.. So is it correct to assume that when installing coilovers an adjustable set of sway bar end links is a *must* ?

note - like an idiot i was saying "toe links" above, I edited it to say "sway bar end links" which is what I meant! Sorry!

Last edited by w00tw00t; 05-09-2017 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Better but not required.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

not sure, when I was installing my coilovers, I inserted my coilover into the front carrier, started jacking it up, then when the shock sway link mount reached the length of the sway link, I inserted the sway link, kept jacking up,.. it was another 1" before my coilover reached the top position.. basically it resulted in tons of pressure on that poor little stock sway link.. That's when I removed the shock and am now about to order adjustable sway links..

Last edited by w00tw00t; 05-09-2017 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

If the ride height is equal side to side it doesn't matter. There will be no preload on the swaybar. It will turn the same left and right.

If the ride height is not equal between the sides (If the car were corner balanced for instance) then there will be a preload on the bar. The result will be a car that turns differently left to right. Once direction at turn in it will unload the bar to neutral, then start loading it. The other direction it is already loaded slightly and effects of the sway bar will be instant.

This is where adjustable sway bar links come into play. You can set the bar to a neutral position.
Appreciate 1
w00tw00t408.00
      05-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
If the ride height is equal side to side it doesn't matter. There will be no preload on the swaybar. It will turn the same left and right.

If the ride height is not equal between the sides (If the car were corner balanced for instance) then there will be a preload on the bar. The result will be a car that turns differently left to right. Once direction at turn in it will unload the bar to neutral, then start loading it. The other direction it is already loaded slightly and effects of the sway bar will be instant.

This is where adjustable sway bar links come into play. You can set the bar to a neutral position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post

Ok that makes sense! Thank you !!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Yup, the sway just twists a bit.
Appreciate 1
w00tw00t408.00
      05-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 - Ferrari Red

Are they required if you are just using camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 12:00 AM   #8
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccondo View Post
No, sway bar end links aren't "required" for anything really. They're just nice to have when trying to remove any slight bind on the sway bar after corner balancing.

OP's been saying toe links, which are different, and are already adjustable from the factory (but have nothing to do with the sway bar).
Appreciate 1
MadZarBMR714.00
      05-09-2017, 06:39 AM   #9
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccondo View Post
No, sway bar end links aren't "required" for anything really. They're just nice to have when trying to remove any slight bind on the sway bar after corner balancing.

OP's been saying toe links, which are different, and are already adjustable from the factory (but have nothing to do with the sway bar).
Dammit sorry I meant swaybar end links. So stupid of me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post

JRZ, Ohlins, MCS, etc. dampers tend to have shorter strut bodies and lower sway bar mounting tab locations compared to the stock strut body. Shorter end links are needed to maintain the stock sway bar geometry (i.e., torsional stiffness) on shorter strut bodies. Without shorter end links, the sway bar ends will sit too low (angled down) and, therefore, have its effective moment arm (torsional stiffness) reduced.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
JRZ, Ohlins, MCS, etc. dampers tend to have shorter strut bodies and lower sway bar mounting tab locations compared to the stock strut body. Shorter end links are needed to maintain the stock sway bar geometry (i.e., torsional stiffness) on shorter strut bodies. Without shorter end links, the sway bar ends will sit too low (angled down) and, therefore, have its effective moment arm (torsional stiffness) reduced.
Right.

The links needed could be longer or shorter depending on your particular setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #12
F82K2S0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G82/MG F82/AW E92

I have a extra set of adjustable swaybar end links by Dinan for sale great price if your interested, still in plastic wrap new.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #13
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
You're right, however the static displacement is negligible in comparison with the overall range of motion.

Also, the JRZs sway bar mounting bracket point is offset upwards to maintain similar geometry:
Appreciate 2
w00tw00t408.00
jacobe92619.00