Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Potential Driveline Slack?

Guys,

I am experiencing what seems to be a weird situation in my DCT M4.

I normally only drive the car in manual mode and have been using it that way since i bought it, I primarily drive is sport or sport plus with drivelogic 2.

It seems anytime I let off depending on how far i have buried the throttle it feels like something under the car is thudding/moving? Does this sound like slack in the drivetrain? Any idea what it can be?

Before anyone mentions, if i do let off the throttle slowly i do not experience it, and yes that is how to drive a manual but regardless is it normal for the abrupt lift off to cause that constantly?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:46 PM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Movement in the rear diff. If it is slight probably normal if excessive a worn or torn bush.

If you search there are threads about the same discussion.

Search for "thud" rear diff M4 etc
      01-27-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
F36Baker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Guys,

I am experiencing what seems to be a weird situation in my DCT M4.

I normally only drive the car in manual mode and have been using it that way since i bought it, I primarily drive is sport or sport plus with drivelogic 2.

It seems anytime I let off depending on how far i have buried the throttle it feels like something under the car is thudding/moving? Does this sound like slack in the drivetrain? Any idea what it can be?

Before anyone mentions, if i do let off the throttle slowly i do not experience it, and yes that is how to drive a manual but regardless is it normal for the abrupt lift off to cause that constantly?
This is the bushing that supports the diff. This is a picture of mine and what it looked like. I was getting the thud sound. You have to get it replaced.

Get under your car and look to see if yours is cracked. It will be on the driver side it's hard to miss.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

I have something similar , after hard driving (I have new bushings on my diff ) my driveway is uphill and sometimes when I reversing I hear loud thud on the back then I’m trying to go I’m forward and reverse again and it’s nothing . What this could be ?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiasz17azs View Post
I have something similar , after hard driving (I have new bushings on my diff ) my driveway is uphill and sometimes when I reversing I hear loud thud on the back then I’m trying to go I’m forward and reverse again and it’s nothing . What this could be ?
Would not worry about it, any incline or decline you have to bury the brakes in and even then you do get a thud from the transmission shifting.

What i have learned is these M cars make a lot of noise.
Appreciate 0