BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Closed Thread

06-20-2022, 09:32 PM   #23
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
At the end of the day, the G8X is simply a better car in every regard when it comes to the act of driving.
Oh it's a better car for sure in regards to outright speed and certainly putting the power down. What really stuck in my mind was just how well the G82 Competition put down the power to the rear wheels. Almost no wheel spin and off like a rocket (couldn't even imagine how strong the AWD version must pull). But that's another reason I didn't like the car, it felt like a super balanced heavy computer of a car. When I went looking again for an F8x car, I purposely searched for a 2015 model because that year wants to put you in a tree if you're not paying attention. I adore the wheel spin for days whenever you want it and the wild characteristics the car lost with the Competition and other models of F8x. The super torque down low and questionable traction on the 15s is bliss.

I just wish I could get the carbon buckets in the F8x for sub $6k and I'd be the happiest motorist ever.
Appreciate 1
Prossx290.00
      06-20-2022, 10:25 PM   #24
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
It just isn't true that the G8x is the better driving car. The E9x would likely win that contest as far as overall driving experience. Depending on what you're doing and the mods the car had, the G8x might have an edge or the F80/E90 could win the day or at least be the equal. True, if you enjoy the car then that's the right car for you but the idea that the G8x is some massive improvement in performance or styling is false. The G8x is a sideways to downward move for the M3/4 in multiple ways. From the automatic transmission to the boring engine bay, there are many details about the G8x that leave a lot to be desired in what could have been.

To the G8x styling fans, what do you make of the styling on the door? Doesn't it bother you that the line on the bottom of the doors just ends at the mid point of the rear door? Where's the equivalent version of this on the F8x/E9x? Sure, it's all a matter of taste on if you like this or not but can we admit this is at least unusual compared to the F8x/E9x.
I think what was implied that the G8X is the better performing car, not necessarily the better driving car in terms of that analog connected feeling. I would rank the E9X over both, the G8X in 2nd and the F8X in 3rd for driving feel. The F80 would be the wildest (pre-Comp, which I also owned), and the G8X would be the most capable.

The door line is an interpretation of the lower rocker panel line on the E92 that sweeps up and directs the eye to the rear wheel arch:

Imagine that line going continuously... IMHO I don't think it would look good.

Previous generation M3/4 inspirations are present in the G8X, only in a different design language, translated into a more striking interpretation. Understandably, I can see how it can be excessive if the mind's eye is accustomed to the traditional aesthetic. It took me some time, but one can see it if they allow themselves. This is one of the reasons I can appreciate what BMW did. It's rare that evolution is so drastic. I almost have to applaud them for daring to do it, even if not everyone is pleased.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:27 PM   #25
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Ahahahahah!!! My ‘16 base was pita to launch straight. It was worse than having an open rear diff. But entertaining! Yes! 3 F80s later I’m still happy with the CS. I have to get camber plates on so that it will turn but bmw nailed it. It looks timeless and nothing is overdone.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:42 PM   #26
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Ahahahahah!!! My '16 base was pita to launch straight. It was worse than having an open rear diff. But entertaining! Yes! 3 F80s later I'm still happy with the CS. I have to get camber plates on so that it will turn but bmw nailed it. It looks timeless and nothing is overdone.
My '16 was a bucking bull with the rear end! Lots of fun but definitely a handful on the track!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1851.50
      06-20-2022, 11:57 PM   #27
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
It just isn't true that the G8x is the better driving car. The E9x would likely win that contest as far as overall driving experience. Depending on what you're doing and the mods the car had, the G8x might have an edge or the F80/E90 could win the day or at least be the equal. True, if you enjoy the car then that's the right car for you but the idea that the G8x is some massive improvement in performance or styling is false. The G8x is a sideways to downward move for the M3/4 in multiple ways. From the automatic transmission to the boring engine bay, there are many details about the G8x that leave a lot to be desired in what could have been.

To the G8x styling fans, what do you make of the styling on the door? Doesn't it bother you that the line on the bottom of the doors just ends at the mid point of the rear door? Where's the equivalent version of this on the F8x/E9x? Sure, it's all a matter of taste on if you like this or not but can we admit this is at least unusual compared to the F8x/E9x.
I think what was implied that the G8X is the better performing car, not necessarily the better driving car in terms of that analog connected feeling. I would rank the E9X over both, the G8X in 2nd and the F8X in 3rd for driving feel. The F80 would be the wildest (pre-Comp, which I also owned), and the G8X would be the most capable.

The door line is an interpretation of the lower rocker panel line on the E92 that sweeps up and directs the eye to the rear wheel arch:

Previous generation M3/4 inspirations are present in the G8X, only in a different design language, translated into a more striking interpretation. Understandably, I can see how it can be excessive if the mind's eye is accustomed to the traditional aesthetic. It took me some time, but one can see it if they allow themselves. This is one of the reasons I can appreciate what BMW did. It's rare that evolution is so drastic. I almost have to applaud them for daring to do it, even if not everyone is pleased.
That would mean the G8x has two rocker panel type lines one above the other, just one is dark and not seen as well. Not sure what to think about that 🤔
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tacoma944.50
      06-21-2022, 12:08 AM   #28
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
But that's another reason I didn't like the car, it felt like a super balanced heavy computer of a car.
This is what we all need to consider as cars move into the future. Super heavy computer car isn't better if driving is what you're about. It's one reason I hate Tesla. Sure, they do the electric car great but they suck in regards to sheer driving pleasure. Not to mention their interiors are trash. Since the G8x is likely the last all ICE M3/4, where does the driving element go from here? If the future of sports cars is just a Tesla with different styling, then count me out. I'll take an ICE car that takes some amount of skill to drive over super heavy computer car.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17346.00
      06-21-2022, 02:17 AM   #29
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:

[img]http://www.bimmerpost.com/images/m3post4.jpg[/img]

That would mean the G8x has two rocker panel type lines one above the other, just one is dark and not seen as well. Not sure what to think about that 🤔
The e92 has three rocker panel lines. There is no objective limitation on how many lines there can be. To me, the G82 has a horizontal "wing", a surface/color change, and the crease in question. Both are, to me, attractive executions of design.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
But that's another reason I didn't like the car, it felt like a super balanced heavy computer of a car.
This is what we all need to consider as cars move into the future. Super heavy computer car isn't better if driving is what you're about. It's one reason I hate Tesla. Sure, they do the electric car great but they suck in regards to shear driving pleasure. Not to mention their interiors are trash. Since the G8x is likely the last all ICE M3/4, where does the driving element go from here? If the future of sports cars is just a Tesla with different styling, then count me out. I'll take an ICE car that takes some amount of skill to drive over super heavy computer car.
Ironically, the G80 gives slightly more feedback and driver connection than the F80 (even my M3 CS). So I don't think I can agree that it feels like a super heavy computer. Or maybe I just don't know what is meant by that analogy. To me, the G80 is more telepathic. I adjust my inputs and it behave more how I want it to and with more poise. If that's a computer car, then I guess the analogy is correct. I like it. It's fun on the track. That's not to say it's not a handful, because it still is. It's just that steering with the throttle seems more intuitive (DSC OFF) in my G82 than my F80. I suppose it could be the X-Drive, but I've heard the same praise on the RWD as well. It's hard to complain about grip. That was the biggest weakness of the F80. So maybe it's makes up for the weight.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #30
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
At the end of the day, the G8X is simply a better car in every regard when it comes to the act of driving. But I cannot fault you for moving back to the F, and I picked the E9X as the winner in that test.
Well... at the real end of the day, the G8x is a faster car, more power more stable at the limit. It's also heavier with more road isolation. Outside of 0-60 and lap times, the G8x is not the most fun to drive. Chris Harris is one of the most respected car journalists among car enthusiasts and looking at the 2 videos below when he's driving the F80, he's having a blast using adjectives like "stupendous." But when he's driving the G80, he likes it but there's no emotion and you can clearly tell the difference in the fun factor he's getting from both cars.

So, I don't agree with the assertion that "the G8X is simply a better car in every regard." From a driving perspective, it's better in some areas (like speed/power) but not in other area (like fun to drive), and from my view it's clearly not better from a looks perspective.
Appreciate 3
65fastback1132.50
cotmfk2023.50
      06-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #31
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Quote:
At the end of the day, the G8X is simply a better car in every regard when it comes to the act of driving. But I cannot fault you for moving back to the F, and I picked the E9X as the winner in that test.
Well... at the real end of the day, the G8x is a faster car, more power more stable at the limit. It's also heavier with more road isolation. Outside of 0-60 and lap times, the G8x is not the most fun to drive. Chris Harris is one of the most respected car journalists among car enthusiasts and looking at the 2 videos below when he's driving the F80, he's having a blast using adjectives like "stupendous." But when he's driving the G80, he likes it but there's no emotion and you can clearly tell the difference in the fun factor he's getting from both cars.

So, I don't agree with the assertion that "the G8X is simply a better car in every regard." From a driving perspective, it's better in some areas (like speed/power) but not in other area (like fun to drive), and from my view it's clearly not better from a looks perspective.
On paper, it's the best M3 ever made. It's the fastest, most capable, most comfortable. This isn't debatable.

What IS debatable is how it feels, or how it makes you feel. That's why I ranked the E90 first, even though it's the slowest and least capable.
      06-21-2022, 03:34 PM   #32
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
[QUOTE=MachinesWithSouls;29033918]
Quote:
Quote:
What IS debatable is how it feels, or how it makes you feel. That's why I ranked the E90 first, even though it's the slowest and least capable.
Least capable…
Attached Images

06-21-2022, 04:28 PM   #33
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Fun is also subjective. Having owned and tracked 2 F80's already, the G82 offers a new experience and new challenges to in learning a new car. Not to say the F80 wasn't fun, but I'm really enjoying the G82 and having more fun than I was a year ago in my F80. I also think the new bold look is more fun to photograph and look at, if not maybe because it's so polarizing and new. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by jmg; 06-21-2022 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2023, 10:42 PM   #34
nfstoddard
Rep
Drives: G80

G80
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 09:17 AM   #35
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

For me - personally - I'm really just sad about the G8x. It's most likely the last generation of M3 with ICE, and I'm really not interested in buying it. Of course the front end is bad, but that's just the tip of the iceberg for me. It's also so frustrating to me that the banhammer came down so quickly and hard on so many of us for basically no reason.

I'm happy others like it.