BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #1
zyce
Modster
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435i

F82 M4 blue smoke - turbo’s replaced + vid

Hi Guys ,
so some months ago i had a lot of blue smoke comming out of the exhaust and both turbo’s got replaced with original ones.
Now ive noticed when the car is idling a bit and i give it Some gas there is a puf of light blue smoke comming from the exhaust i… i think there is another problem somewhere but hard to locate … anyone Els who had the same problem ?
Oil and coolant Lvls are fine aswell …
Running stage 2 with Bootmode and catless downpipes , car also has eventuri intakes and michimoto oil catch can.

I’m thinking of 3 things Right now …

-valve stem seals
-pvc valve failure
-piston rings(worst case)

Or anyone with suggestions On How to find the cause of this ? Should i do a compression test of the pistons ?

Here are 2 small clips of How it looks…

https://files.fm/u/b64uavdx9

Kinde frustrated ngl
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #2
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

It takes sometime for all the oil to burn off from exhaust due to leaking turbos.
That's the first thing that comes to mind but do check pcv or an O2 sensor slowly fouling..
Check level in catch can, if full it will have some carryover. Check for engine codes too.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 05-01-2022 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #3
zyce
Modster
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
It takes sometime for all the oil to burn off from exhaust due to leaking turbos.
That's the first thing that comes to mind but do check pcv or an O2 sensor slowly fouling..
Check level in catch can, if full it will have some carryover. Check for engine codes too.
Seems i almost need to add 1 litre of oil to the car soon on the display screen.
I cleaned the catch can 5 days ago it was halfway full.
My mechanic Is Also thinking Its the valve stems so im either Going to sell the car or do the crankhub and seals but the problem for the seals u need to remove the head wich I dont really wanne do tbh , the problem is not that bad yet so i stil got some time to think About What i’m Going to do with it i guess
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #4
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

My Turbo 1 cyl 1-3 make oil in charge pipe 1, noticed also after a lot of idling blue smoke coming out from exhaust so I decided to replace it with a new one! New one worked for me 4k km, after that again oil and smoke. So I ordered upgraded turbos with bearings and better seals. I am also on stage2 but custom by CJ. I have also catch can and my catch can is empty every time, only water I find inside, no oil. You can check also if oil is present in charge pipe 1.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #5
sinth
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29003950

I created this thread a month back. It looks like this is a soon to be common issue with valve stem seals

Costly job too
Appreciate 1