proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #177
JovanUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 F83 CP, '18 M140i SHA.

can someone confirm if f87 m2 race display wheel is compatible with f20 m140i? dealer has fitted but it cuts out after 10 seconds. sometimes doesn't even power on, but when it does, it turns off shortly after. they said was working fine yesterday, and installation is correct.

i wanted this one as it has the nicer carbon trim.

"If it depreciates, lease it. If it appreciates, buy it."
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #178
ultramanrx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can someone show me how to put the electronic steering in a mode that RPM light stay come on when it reached to RPM I set in for? When I turn it on and pumped up my RPM, none of the light came on. Maybe I didn't set it up right? Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #179
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramanrx View Post
Can someone show me how to put the electronic steering in a mode that RPM light stay come on when it reached to RPM I set in for? When I turn it on and pumped up my RPM, none of the light came on. Maybe I didn't set it up right? Thanks for the help!
Go to setup mode. Scroll to the icon with a + and up arrow. Set the target RPM. Long press the left button to save and go back to previous menu.

Set the wheel to sport or race mode for the LEDs to light up when you are at the target RPM.

Heres a short video of it set to 4000RPM and set to Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 12:38 PM   #180
B5toE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 M235

I have this wheel installed and it was working great.

Just flashed BM3 with an OTS map this morning and the wheel no longer lights up. I don't even get the initial lights when starting the vehicle; any suggestions?

*edit* restarted the car two more times and it started working normally

Last edited by B5toE92; 08-01-2021 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 03:47 AM   #181
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I had this installed into my pre-LCI 435i and after all I was a bit disappointed about quality and function for the price of the wheel.
The alcantara had looked pretty used after few months at the two buttons to activate display/LED chains, the display and the LED'S had refused working at temperatures inside of the car above 45°C and most annoying was to got forced to push one of the two buttons every 10 minutes to keep the display at work.
This being said, I wont buy this again for that price.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #182
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
Hey buds –

I kept my Electronic Wheel connected to my wiring harness, but for some reason in its new wagon home i haven't been able to get it to light up / power on.

I have three thoughts, and i'd love any input or expertise from folks here who have effed around with theirs fighting power-on issues....

1. Loose wire (power, CAN, Ground, wtf knows)
I have checked just about everything - need to re-check ground – but again, i didn't separate anything when i ported over the wiring harness, so....

2. My steering column switch isn't properly passing power?
Here's what i mean. Since my M3 now has a hatch and rear glass, i needed to get a different set of steering column stocks so i can operate the rear wiper.

This switch / stocks hasn't yet been coded to the car, so i'm wondering if that could be the problem, and the FRM perhaps isn't allowing the electronic wheel to be connected and active through this small component? (It does intercept the cable harness and "convert it" to the wheel plugs.

3. Did I "fry" the control module?
You know that little plastic / rubber control module that looks like a mini-skateboard ramp? Well, i had placed that under the mat, and i'm sure it laid on the metal floor.

I looked at the instructions and they specifically say NOT to let it contact bare metal.
Could it be that i some how fucked this thing? Seems like a shitty design to me since it's basically intended to go under the carpet, but this is me griping while actually just wanting to find a solution, so i'm going to shut it.

Thanks buds, hope somebody here has an idea.

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 03:43 AM   #183
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

To get your problem right: You had changed your car and had taken the wheel with you... correct?
Had you taken the OEM harness for the wheel 1:1 from car to car?
Had you changed to a LCI car, because the FEM wiring is at 2 points different to pre LCI?
Is the black box module for the wheel still ok?
When you got already trouble with transferring contact from the wheel to the car and vice versa my tip goes to the little black box. You couldnt bypassing the box so a test aside of it is impossible.
But normally the performance wheel hadnt to code extra into the car, as delivered from BMW its plug and play.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:01 PM   #184
ihatecfinch
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I just did an install in my m235i and it’s not powering up.

I got it to power up for a second when I bumped a connector on the steering wheel. Then it would power up when the green connector in the steering wheel was unplugged and plugged back in then turn off then that stopped working.

Bumped the wires on the passenger side and again the wheel lit up then back off. I took everything back apart and checked every single connection and tested the wires on both sides. Now no matter what I wiggle nothing happens but I can confirm everything is wired correctly.

Just seen a few people experiencing similar issues so I figured I would see if anyone who had experienced this found fixes for the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 05:08 AM   #185
E92cannon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 in Mineral White

Can anyone help ?

The wheel is installed properly (as far as i can see) and nothing is working the only thing i can see is that at the point you pin the blue and red/blue wire into the 18 and 19 pin in the grey plug all the instructions show there is already wires in there but my car hasn't got any?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 04:04 AM   #186
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92cannon View Post
Can anyone help ?

The wheel is installed properly (as far as i can see) and nothing is working the only thing i can see is that at the point you pin the blue and red/blue wire into the 18 and 19 pin in the grey plug all the instructions show there is already wires in there but my car hasn't got any?
Are you sure that you have the correct issue and harness for your car?

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #187
Assassins
Rep
Drives: F30 320D

Name:  5D2DDFE8-8E4E-48F7-8F7F-DE8B119F3ED1.jpeg
Views: 860
Size:  291.2 KBHey Guys, I have also a problem with the Display. It doesn’t show the temperature and rpm. I did the harness by myself. I can control the display menu, I set also all settings but it doesn’t work.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 05:11 AM   #188
jeroenvereijken
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassins View Post
Attachment 2889762Hey Guys, I have also a problem with the Display. It doesn’t show the temperature and rpm. I did the harness by myself. I can control the display menu, I set also all settings but it doesn’t work.

Hi, i have exact same issue also -48 show (So no info send to it ?0

I try on fem both PT-CAN positions and none of it works.

Did you ever solve this problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 11:16 PM   #189
wknd_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ MG ZCP F82

Great write up, I did this myself a couple of weeks ago. I’m not a mechanic by an means but with some patience and guts anyone can do it. My only mistake was, I didn’t adjust the steering wheel column all the way out so I couldn’t take the plastic apart
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 07:13 PM   #190
rapindrive
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition LCI

Today I installed my steering wheel very meticulously step by step and it doesn't turn on, I don't know what else to look at
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 07:16 PM   #191
rapindrive
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
To get your problem right: You had changed your car and had taken the wheel with you... correct?
Had you taken the OEM harness for the wheel 1:1 from car to car?
Had you changed to a LCI car, because the FEM wiring is at 2 points different to pre LCI?
Is the black box module for the wheel still ok?
When you got already trouble with transferring contact from the wheel to the car and vice versa my tip goes to the little black box. You couldnt bypassing the box so a test aside of it is impossible.
But normally the performance wheel hadnt to code extra into the car, as delivered from BMW its plug and play.
I have an LCI and it won't turn on. What part of the manual changes?

18 y 19 FEM no?

Last edited by rapindrive; 09-11-2022 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 03:45 AM   #192
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapindrive View Post
I have an LCI and it won't turn on. What part of the manual changes?

18 y 19 FEM no?
Sorry for the late reply:

In some special cases it could be happen at the F82 the FA-Can signals are not adressing the signals at PIN 18 and PIN 19 from CON2 (A173*2B), but at PIN 35 and PIN 36 from CON7* (A173*7B).
The pinning is going equal like described for CON2, but PIN 18 is PIN 35 (CON7*) and PIN 19 transformes to PIN 36 (CON7*).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 02:04 AM   #193
Bru.smart
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30

Does any one have the pin out on module’s conector please?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 07:52 AM   #194
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru.smart View Post
Does any one have the pin out on module’s conector please?
You mean from FEM2 to the module?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 09:00 PM   #195
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Is anyone still having issues with their wheels not turning on, or working consistently? I ask because I believe I may have found potential causes for this, after reading through a few wiring diagrams and functional descriptions of power supply in ISTA. I have an F87, but a lot of this will apply to the F80 as well.
Appreciate 1
2sl0w1.50
      04-30-2023, 12:37 AM   #196
PAAA
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: M2, Ariel Atom 3, Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Is anyone still having issues with their wheels not turning on, or working consistently? I ask because I believe I may have found potential causes for this, after reading through a few wiring diagrams and functional descriptions of power supply in ISTA. I have an F87, but a lot of this will apply to the F80 as well.
Yes, please !
I'd like some help, I wired everything according to the 2016 manual (con2 and X5*1B wiring) in my F87 M2C but the wheel display and leds stay off...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 01:51 AM   #197
PAAA
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: M2, Ariel Atom 3, Porsche 911

Just a quick note to warn everyone about my mistake :
The culprit was the connector for the wiring loom to the wheel control unit that I hadn't inserted all the way in.

BE CAREFUL WHEN PLUGGING THE CONNECTOR TO THE WHEEL CONTROL UNIT (the little box that comes with the wheel and has to be plugged into the wiring loom).
The connector has a lever moving 90° that locks into place when inserted.
You want to have the lever fully perpendicular to the plug insertion direction when inserting it or it will give you the impression it has clipped into place but the plug will not be inserted all the way in, and will not make contact !
Appreciate 1
ashmostro1251.00
      05-20-2023, 04:16 AM   #198
thebadboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i f30

Hello, I received the steering wheel for my M2 Competition but there are no assembly instructions.
There is only the manual.

Someone would like to give me the assembly plan that corresponds to my car or tell me if in ISTA+ I can find the assembly instructions.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0