Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

04-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #89
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillie9284 View Post
I agree a heavier wheels would definitely change how a car would feel. However we are referring to the factory wheels. I am sure BMW engineered the wheels right to match the weights or get real close between the 18 and 19' wheels.
Ah, sorry. I missed that information. As you say the factory wheels are quite light as 19" too so not really an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #90
Phillie9284
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM F80, TR F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwu View Post
May not be possible but it was the biggest thing I noticed when I switched to the e92 19" GTS wheels. They were definitely much heavier. I didn't expect to notice anything but when I stepped on the gas, it didn't feel as fast as the stock 18s. Then again the shop i went to could have put the wheels on at an incorrect camber bcuz i noticed the left rear wheel definitely didn't look the same as the right. It could dragging but I can't say.
Yea Im was just referring to the stock 18' and 19' on the f8x. Other wheels and tires and other factors could make you feel what you felt. My original statement is only true for the stock wheel and tire specs.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 05:34 AM   #91
Spirit of Universe
Rep
Drives: Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post

Well despite the beautiful looks, I did not like the drive. It was noisy (19" wheels?). Even in full comfort mode, the road noise would not disappear and I was expecting the M suspension would make it smoother and quieter (for family duty).

So what should I do now? Should I drop 19" wheels that apparently give looks but take away any remaining comfort level? Should I drop the M suspension due to I did not notice any improvements over standard suspension?
IMHO 18" are only real choice for car that will be driven daily or more often than on weekends for few turns or on track.
I consider two sets of 18", one for street races (whatever this means) plus tracks (Michelin stock tyre) and one for daily drives (same wheels plus Conti Extreme 265/40 + 285/40).
Comfy set is much smoother and quiter (tried it on friend's M3) almost like different car without big compromise. It is less aggresive in steering character, but exactly what is needed for 99% of driving.
To be clear, it still remains very sport character car, but without annoying feel that car will fall apart on bad roads (and I got this feel on stock 19").
Visually I find 18" nicer than OEM 19", so absolutely win-win situation.
Appreciate 2
davem3fan185.50
dovaro129.50
      10-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #92
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

I had the 19's 437s on my M4...Had Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car...35s for the sidewall...Now, with the 18's that come with the M4, the sidewall is now 40 and runs sooooo much smoother. I can actually drive the car in sport +. I honestly feel like I have more grip with a 40 size sidewall. The noise level has dropped on the freeway, and the dampening of the bumps is so much better. More rubber...more dampening. I feel less on the road and the steering feel is so much better...I love it. I love the look of the thicker tire too...looks like those twin turbo lambos, or 1000hp + GTRs. I'm thinking about getting Toyo R888. Those tires with 18s look like you have a disgustingly fast car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #93
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

I m the op. It's been almost a year since I own the car - beautiful 16 m3 black on black with black 19 wheels, adaptive suspension, and yes DCT.
I love the car but I don't LOVE it. I don't know why but I think it is because of DCT. The turbos and DCT make this car like a healthy nutritious breakfast that is good for you, but don't you want/LOVE bacon egg and cheese? Get my point?
Funny part is my wife is scared to death to drive my car so should have gotten manual...
P.s. Next car will be manual or electric. Turbo with DCT is like ecar anyway,.,,
      08-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #94
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

I have 18s with passive and my friend said his 19s with adaptive ride similarly in Sport. He said Comfort is softer but barely. They both ride hard though.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #95
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
The turbos and DCT make this car like a healthy nutritious breakfast that is good for you, but don't you want/LOVE bacon egg and cheese? Get my point?
to me, the F80 feels in no way a "healthy nutritious" breakfast.

you know that white powder on top of those strawberries and pancakes?

yeah. cocaine. doused in that shit. that's what the F80 feels like.

so either your tolerance for blow is abnormally high, or you need to graduate to some hardcore shit my friend. or slip some crack in your bacon egg and cheese sandwiches.

i don't know where i'm going with this post.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 3
      08-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #96
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Lol at above

So my car is almost exactly 2 years old now and I'm still driving on OEM 18" rubber with about 17-18k miles on them (23k total miles, but some winter driving on winter tires).

I've been trying to figure out why the 18s don't ride softer than the 19s and I think I finally figured it out - load rating. Forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

The 19" oem FRONT BMW tire has a notably lower load rating than the 18" BMW front tire.

I mention this because I've driven 18s and 19s and there truly is very little difference between the two in terms of ride quality - despite the 19s having notably less side wall.

I have considered a number of options for my 18 including moving to conti DWs because I'd like a bit more ride comfort/lower noise and am willing to exchange a small amount of traction for it. However, I noticed Conti DWs in the size I was considering have a 20% higher load rating in front and ~10% higher in rear than stock. So I might actually lose ride comfort, and they may actually have as stiff of sidewalls
Appreciate 2
davem3fan185.50
ecf34304.00
      08-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #97
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi
Quote:
The turbos and DCT make this car like a healthy nutritious breakfast that is good for you, but don't you want/LOVE bacon egg and cheese? Get my point?
to me, the F80 feels in no way a "healthy nutritious" breakfast.

you know that white powder on top of those strawberries and pancakes?

yeah. cocaine. doused in that shit. that's what the F80 feels like.

so either your tolerance for blow is abnormally high, or you need to graduate to some hardcore shit my friend. or slip some crack in your bacon egg and cheese sandwiches.

i don't know where i'm going with this post.
U must be a turbo fan. I come from NA cars and dont like turbos. I see the benefits but see my allegory above - too good to be fun that what is is. Perhaps turbo +manual would make more sense in this car and this is my fault to go with DCT.
      08-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #98
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
U must be a turbo fan. I come from NA cars and dont like turbos. I see the benefits but see my allegory above - too good to be fun that what is is. Perhaps turbo +manual would make more sense in this car and this is my fault to go with DCT.
i understand what you're saying, but it's just something that i personally disagree with. everyone has their preferences i suppose.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0