Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Brakes clicking or clanging

I have a 2016 M3 I bought 3 months ago. It has 10k miles on the odometer.
When I drive slowly and gradually press the brake pedal, I can notice that there is some dead pedal travel and then I hear a clang when the brakes engage.
Is that normal? I have never had such experience with my previous cars - sure there has been some pedal travel before the brakes start acting, but there has never been such a click or clang.

Maybe I'm getting paranoid, because I have some intermittent clunk from the front passenger wheel while going over rough pavement and I have been trying to pin point what the issue is.

The dealer did some work to take care of a clicking noise while steering due to a bad strut and some mounting brackets and since I've started listening closely, there are all kinds of noises that are bugging me.

I'm planning to do a couple of track days in 3 weeks and I don't want this thing to fall apart on me.

On top of that I got the valvetronic motor clicking upon door unlocking a couple of times since I bought the car and today I got a drivetrain malfunction message after some hesitation at engine start.

I have an appointment for a couple of days from now, but I'm thinking of calling them today to take me in earlier.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
Rippermcgee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Have you figured out the brake pedal clunk? I’m having the same issue currently
Appreciate 0