ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
M4lifestyle
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

In order to get the best results to launch the car (fastest 0-60) when do you guys shift to 2nd gear? Like at what rpm or km/h etc.

I didnt turn on Sport + mode today and when I try to switch to second gear in high 1st gear rpm, the car is not smooth at all. Just want to see when most of you switch to second gear. I have many years driving manual experience but seems the M4 behaves slightly diff... or maybe im still not use to the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
barnsdale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT AY

Agreed the 6MT is not super smooth from 1-2nd I’ll be interested to see what other say.

I owned a 135i with PPK stage 1 tune and it was also super notchey from 1-2.

Was interesting because off the line I felt other cars always had a quicker start but then 2-3 and 3-4 I completely blew them away...same goes for the M4.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
M4lifestyle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsdale View Post
Agreed the 6MT is not super smooth from 1-2nd I’ll be interested to see what other say.

I owned a 135i with PPK stage 1 tune and it was also super notchey from 1-2.

Was interesting because off the line I felt other cars always had a quicker start but then 2-3 and 3-4 I completely blew them away...same goes for the M4.
I guess if we are up against dct or any auto tranny, 1-2 gear we fall behind for sure... just maybe our second gear is long enough to make it up?

I am almost the slowest car all the time from red light to 20km/h unless i push the car uncomfortably. Interested for more input
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am4zinlyfast View Post
In order to get the best results to launch the car (fastest 0-60) when do you guys shift to 2nd gear? Like at what rpm or km/h etc.

I didnt turn on Sport + mode today and when I try to switch to second gear in high 1st gear rpm, the car is not smooth at all. Just want to see when most of you switch to second gear. I have many years driving manual experience but seems the M4 behaves slightly diff... or maybe im still not use to the car.
For fastest acceleration in sports plus i would shift north of 5 to 6K rpm range from 1st to 2nd and agreed clutch release can be pretty tricky from 1-2 , its pretty difficult in this car to have a smooth release in higher rpm in sports plus mode only, other modes its fine.
      05-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Assuming good traction, the S55 power curve suggests that shifting 1st to 2nd at redline (7500RPM - 57km/h - 36mph) will result in the best acceleration.

Can you describe further what you mean by "not being smooth"?

Not being in Sport+ means that the rev-matching is activated, where the ECU could be playing tricks on you fiddling with the engine RPM.

Further, are you driving with DSC or MDM activated? If so, the system will intervene during hard 1-2 shifts making for a balky upshift. The same happens with DCT in the more aggressive Drivelogic modes.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
F1fan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

I have experienced this, too.. I usually drive in Sport + with MDM and noticed that, unless I really get after it, the 1st gear acceleration is very slow compared to every other car on the road (including minivans!). Once I am in 2nd and above, its no contest, but first gear is quite slow.

Also, when I try to shift to second under hard acceleration, the car seems to want to "hold" onto first, and it snaps out and into second with lots of jerkiness. It requires more force to shift from 1st to 2nd than any other gear combination. Maybe this is the "notchiness" others describe, but its not pleasant. This behavior only exists on the 1st to 2nd shift.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

To stay in boost you want to go to redline. I think it’s a matter of getting used to the car. I’ve noticed on the 1-2 shift it’s smoothest when consciously making sure clutch is fully pressed to the floor while shifting. And take traction control fully off.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

The main reason for everyone's posted scenarios is ultimately traction. 1st to 2nd blow because to keep up acceleration with an Automatic you have to give it a decent amount of gas which upsets the car in these gears. You have to be more liberal in releasing the clutch and allowing it to modulate how much power is delivered. Obvs more wear on the clutch, but something has to bear the load. ( I am not saying fry your clutch)

As for the launch you must be in MDM (pref EURO MDM). Full traction the car will cut throttle. Traction fully off you will most likely lose traction but not always...which leads to tire temp being another very important factor.

To launch smoothly get in and around 3k start progressively flooring it. Once you hit redline. Bang into second and dump the clutch. The car will 90% wiggle in the back but the MDM will catch it and one it grips it is quite a rush. Yesterday it was 80 degrees here in the northeast and I remembered why I love my car. Once you learn to modulate throttle you can really open up its potential. But always remember traction will always be a limiting factor in this car.

So tire temp is a huge factor when launching as well as throttle modulation.

Also to poster above me...if your not gonna legit be launching the car off the line then try sport its more forgiving. If you want to shift into second quickly you have to do it at 4.5-5k min or the car will drop out its ideal powerband.

Nonetheless, I get burned daily at all stops, since most people floor their cars at any given opportunity
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fan View Post
I have experienced this, too.. I usually drive in Sport + with MDM and noticed that, unless I really get after it, the 1st gear acceleration is very slow compared to every other car on the road (including minivans!). Once I am in 2nd and above, its no contest, but first gear is quite slow.

Also, when I try to shift to second under hard acceleration, the car seems to want to "hold" onto first, and it snaps out and into second with lots of jerkiness. It requires more force to shift from 1st to 2nd than any other gear combination. Maybe this is the "notchiness" others describe, but its not pleasant. This behavior only exists on the 1st to 2nd shift.

I think 1st gear has been tamed down a bit in later models to help get the power to the road.

Also, I noticed that when I accelerate hard in 1st gear all I get is traction control and no movement. xD
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
Negtvions
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP

I find that shifting from first to second is smoother at around 4500rpm.
Appreciate 1
Sodhi1671.00
      05-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Not trying to threadjack, but what RPM's you guys shifting for consistent smooth upshifts (1st to 2nd) in Sport + for normal driving (not launching). Like others have stated, I find it difficult to consistently get no "bucking" shifts.

Last edited by ByeFelicia; 05-02-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #12
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
Not trying to threadjack, but what RPM's you guys shifting for consistent smooth upshifts (1st to 2nd) in Sport + for normal driving (not launching). Like others have stated, I find it difficult to consistently get no "bucking" shifts.
Do you experience jerk when engaging the clutch on 2nd? On clutch in on 1st gear you have to be very quick with the feet. Release the gas too soon and it'll jerk. Release too late and it'll rev in neutral delaying the next gear. There's a good amount of rev hang in these cars too. If shifting at 3k rpm you have to wait for the rpm to drop to almost 1500. The drivetrain is very stiff so it punishes you for inaccurate clutch work. Sport+ exaggerates this more because of the on/off nature of the throttle
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #13
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Do you experience jerk when engaging the clutch on 2nd? On clutch in on 1st gear you have to be very quick with the feet. Release the gas too soon and it'll jerk. Release too late and it'll rev in neutral delaying the next gear. There's a good amount of rev hang in these cars too. If shifting at 3k rpm you have to wait for the rpm to drop to almost 1500. The drivetrain is very stiff so it punishes you for inaccurate clutch work. Sport+ exaggerates this more because of the on/off nature of the throttle
Happens when disengaging the clutch after its already in 2nd gear. It's the release of the clutch. Either im too fast or too slow.

I try to shift 2500-3

Ive been told from a friend, no gas at all when upshifting to 2nd. So my feet isn't on the gas at all.

Trying to drive in sport + most of the time to get the hang of a no nanny manual.

Yes im learning lol
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Happens when disengaging the clutch after its already in 2nd gear. It's the release of the clutch. Either im too fast or too slow.

I try to shift 2500-3

Ive been told from a friend, no gas at all when upshifting to 2nd. So my feet isn't on the gas at all.

Trying to drive in sport + most of the time to get the hang of a no nanny manual.

Yes im learning lol
If shifting at around 3000 rpm you need to wait for the revs to drop to around 1500-1700 to engage the clutch. Likely you aren't waiting long enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #15
M4lifestyle
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is definitely what I wanna know too. Cos 95% i am just dd my car and I just dont want to be slower than a minivan at a red light lol.

This indeed is happening cos this is my first week with the M4..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #16
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

What i've experienced unlike any other MT car i've driven, in 1st you can let off the clutch without giving it any gas and it will start rolling by itself. Whereas im used to having to give it slight gas to get it going. (for smooth DD off the line)

For a smooth transition into 2nd when launching you're going to have to feather both the clutch and gas in order to be able to get a smooth engagement. More so feathering clutch and just letting gas back to about 45-65% then slowly and consistently stepping down on the gas.

Not sure if that makes sense but it's a practice of simultaneously basically burning a little bit of clutch to get the smooth engagement of clutch and giving it gas. (it's either the clutch taking the hit or drivetrain)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:12 PM   #17
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
I find coming off just above idle and rolling into it works best. Shifting from 1-2 will cause the back end to wiggle a bit in Sport+ with traction control off. I never powershift and rarely take it to redline. There's enough power in S55 to shift below redline and still have fun.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #18
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
What i've experienced unlike any other MT car i've driven, in 1st you can let off the clutch without giving it any gas and it will start rolling by itself. Whereas im used to having to give it slight gas to get it going. (for smooth DD off the line)
Ditto. I've even tried rolling uphill / parking garage ramps without any throttle and it will pull itself up effortlessly. It's amazing how quickly it will get up to speed without any throttle.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #19
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

I find you just have to be smooth/deliberate in the 1-2 shift, especially at full chat, to get it right. Too fast and it's bucking bronco time, too slow and you fall out of the power band. When you do get it right (and I'll be honest it's once every 5-10 tries for me) it's a fricking fantastic feeling. Mostly because I've finally beaten that damn Toyota Sienna to the next stop light.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #20
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am4zinlyfast View Post
This is definitely what I wanna know too. Cos 95% i am just dd my car and I just dont want to be slower than a minivan at a red light lol.

This indeed is happening cos this is my first week with the M4..
With you there, i've been experimenting and 2500 seems to be a 3/4 of the time smooth RPM to shift. Will have to chalk it up to practice and more practice.

But yeah, off the red light im def the slowest too but more so trying to be smooth rather than fast for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:44 PM   #21
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post

For a smooth transition into 2nd when launching you're going to have to feather both the clutch and gas in order to be able to get a smooth engagement. More so feathering clutch and just letting gas back to about 45-65% then slowly and consistently stepping down on the gas.

Not sure if that makes sense but it's a practice of simultaneously basically burning a little bit of clutch to get the smooth engagement of clutch and giving it gas. (it's either the clutch taking the hit or drivetrain)
Strange every MT I've ever driven operated no differently then the f80. Feathering the clutch gets 1st to partially engage without gas making low speed maneuvering easier. It could be brand specific I guess my experience is limited to BMW, Nissan, Toyota, and Honda MT's
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 12:02 AM   #22
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
Strange every MT I've ever driven operated no differently then the f80. Feathering the clutch gets 1st to partially engage without gas making low speed maneuvering easier. It could be brand specific I guess my experience is limited to BMW, Nissan, Toyota, and Honda MT's
honda, nissan and toyota all require some gas or the car will die. I can disengage clutch completely on the F80 and it will not die.
Appreciate 0