ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

bootmod3: CustomROM release - Map Switching, Flex Fuel, AntiLag, New Map Editor...

The most comprehensive bootmod3 software update is finally here and we're delighted to share it with everyone!

Multiple features have been in development since mid 2020, many of which have been demo-ed to public throughout the time we were developing them. In December 2020 we completed development on the pre 2019 software S55s. We decided to finish 2019+ support as well and release it all together. It has endured a considerable delay from the initially planned release but we’ve managed to cover everything and in the process add even more functionality to the Map Editor and cover testing more extensively.

Our first release of the bootmod3 CustomROM is now ready for the S55 engine vehicles while we continue to work on adding these features to other vehicles in the bootmod3 lineup. Changes done for the S55 are being ported to the N55 vehicles followed by the B58.

To read about the bootmod3 CustomROM features available on the S55 engine refer to document below:

bootmod3 CustomROM Release - BMW S55 Engine

To read about the changes in the new bootmod3 Map Editor, refer to this document:

bootmod3 Map Editor Release

For Tuning Tables overview for Map Switching, Flex Fuel and AntiLag refer to this document:

bootmod3 CustomROM Tuning - S55 Engine

We've made Stage 1 and 2 OTS maps available that enable all of the features in CustomROM:

Stage 1 FlexFuel AntiLag MultiMap
Stage 2 FlexFuel AntiLag MultiMap

Dyno graph of the above mentioned OTS Stage 2 (mods: downpipes and 70% octane in the tank) also attached. This map scales from pump gas Map Slots 1-4 to Flex Fuel with the presence of the Zeitronix ECA2 CANBus board and a Continental Flex Fuel sensor.

At the moment the update is up on the Web (bootmod3.net) and you'll need the updated OBD Agent for flashing which downloads automatically as an update.

For anyone looking to convert an existing map to custom ROM to get the AntiLag feature added with its default values which, given the level of the hardware setup on your car, may not be ideal for what you're looking to accomplish and in that case dialing in any feature in CustomROM should be done with your custom tuner of choice.

Outside of that, all of the features in CustomROM including various steering wheel controls for map switching, antilag, checking ethanol content in-dash on the RPM gauge (no laptop or app needed), are explained at length. As with all of our features, we always continue to improve all aspects of the system as well as our OTS maps and you can be sure there'll be more to follow!

For any questions at all please email our support@protuningfreaks.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
F80_Greg135.50
irunalot1515.50
f80fan15.00
FSociety3810.00
tinpot73.50
      03-10-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

This seems so confusing to me!?!

A.) What is a "Custom ROM" - In my day, it was a specialized (physical - outboard) Read Only Memory chip.
I gather this is Not what is being referred to here?!?

All of the images you provide are post- or once you already have all the maps available to you.

The primary question for me remains:

"HOW DO I (for lack of a better term) "UPLOAD" THE 4 MAPS - "of my choice" (... as I was told)??

How do I get these in the car in order to be even being able to start playing with the Cruise Control switches?!?

Ok., so there's something about "converting" them. How is this done? Is there a separate tool/app. for this?

I need a "step by step" from, Step 1 - Signing in the the "BM3" App.

The instructions are definitely Not, "Comprehensive"!

[Edit:] More so, for those of us that don't have a Custom Tune (or "Tun-er") at our disposal and purchased "BM3" for just that reason!?!

Last edited by Trevorstein; 03-10-2021 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-10-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP 6MT

I just tried the antilag after converting my map to the new ROM map. Antilag did not work. Did 3200rpm in 3rd gear, held the cruise control flip switch in the first up position for a few seconds and mashed the throttle. Nothing happened, rpm just went up like normal without additional boost building up. What am i doing wrong?
      03-10-2021, 09:24 PM   #4
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A to B.

Sub'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
I just tried the antilag after converting my map to the new ROM map. Antilag did not work. Did 3200rpm in 3rd gear, held the cruise control flip switch in the first up position for a few seconds and mashed the throttle. Nothing happened, rpm just went up like normal without additional boost building up. What am i doing wrong?
Try to do it from a dig to verify if it holds at 3k rpm...

Last edited by 11LMBiSTT; 03-10-2021 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Is car warmed up with oil above 160F? PTF has a few safeties built in.
      03-10-2021, 09:34 PM   #6
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Quote:
Is car warmed up with oil above 160F? PTF has a few safeties built in.
Yah fully warmed up, 205F coolant and 207F oil.
Attached Images

03-10-2021, 10:01 PM   #7
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
This seems so confusing to me!?!

A.) What is a "Custom ROM" - In my day, it was a specialized (physical - outboard) Read Only Memory chip.
I gather this is Not what is being referred to here?!?

All of the images you provide are post- or once you already have all the maps available to you.

The primary question for me remains:

"HOW DO I (for lack of a better term) "UPLOAD" THE 4 MAPS - "of my choice" (... as I was told)??

How do I get these in the car in order to be even being able to start playing with the Cruise Control switches?!?

Ok., so there's something about "converting" them. How is this done? Is there a separate tool/app. for this?

I need a "step by step" from, Step 1 - Signing in the the "BM3" App.

The instructions are definitely Not, "Comprehensive"!

[Edit:] More so, for those of us that don't have a Custom Tune (or "Tun-er") at our disposal and purchased "BM3" for just that reason!?!

ROM (read only memory) but its actually writeable during flashing, confuse everyone even more now? ROM is just an abbreviation typically used in the tuning world to represent software, instead of data (aka calibration, aka tables).

We have a lot explained on the Wiki in detail with screenshots and videos but in a nutshell, you have two OTS maps to pick from, Stage 1 and 2.

The new Stage 1 FlexFuel AntiLag Multimap contains 4 switchable map slots each of which represents a Stage 1 map for the octane described in the map's description:

Map1: ACN91 octane
Map2: 91 octane
Map3: 93 octane
Map4: CS stock power map

They're preset, just like any prior OTS map we had so far.

If you flash this new Stage 1 'multimap' OTS you'll be able to use map switching to switch among the 4 map slots at any time while in the car using the steering wheel without any further reflashing (instructions posted in the link in the first post, along with videos). AntiLag is enabled in all four map slots and if that's your thing, you can trigger it at any time in any map by holding the UP button (1st position) on your Cruise Control buttons, left side of the steering wheel, and then pressing on the Accelerator Pedal going WOT which builds boost and you let go of the Cruise Control UP button to take off with boost on tap.

Flex Fuel is enabled on all 4 map slots in both of these OTS maps. Regardless of the map slot you're in, if you have the Flex Fuel sensor connected in the car to its CANBus (email us for instructions if needed) the DME will see ethanol % content and in realtime adjust your aggression higher the higher your ethanol content is in the tank, making more power and torque than any of the 4 Map Slots do when running without the Flex Fuel sensor connected. The same story goes for the Stage 2 map.

Combining existing/old OTS maps into a multimap is not something currently supported and why the new OTS maps are offered instead. However, any existing map can be converted to a CustomROM one to enable the AntiLag feature on it.

Any further details please email us at support@protuningfreaks.com and we'll do our best to help answer them.

Quote:
Best to email us and we'll review it with you

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 03-10-2021 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 4
F80_Greg135.50
sly1types426.50
f80fan15.00
FSociety3810.00
      03-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #8
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

"Combining existing/old OTS maps into a multimap is not something currently supported"

Is that just not in atm or not coming at all? Only these bundled maps?
I've been envisioning being able to do the following since the announcement.

Map1: Stock Map
Map2: CS stock power map
Map3: ACN91 octane stg1
Map4: Valet Mode (which was mentioned as coming)
Appreciate 7
gspannu198.50
cbertels1212.00
terahertz162.50
r0wr583.00
TouringM3617.00
      03-10-2021, 10:26 PM   #9
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I sent over an email describing all the steps i did and antilag did not work. Hoping for a reply soon, not sure if i missed a step. Has anyone here successful been able to convert over a custom tune, flash, and get antilag working? Thanks in advance
      03-10-2021, 11:45 PM   #10
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

[EDIT: When you restart your car the ethanol% resets, so you need your laptop again! I had mine. Whew!]

I was able to get E30 working on MultiMap without an Ethanol sensor. PTF Support helped.

Here's the steps on laptop:
Flash the new Stg2 MultiMap.
Go into the LiveConfig tab.
Map-switch to #3 for 93 octane.
Set the Ethanol sensor override switch.
Set the slider to 30% (or 85% for E85).
Turn off car for 10 seconds, then start.

Worked great for me!!!
Thanks proTUNING Freaks
      03-11-2021, 12:05 AM   #11
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Can anyone with a custom tune confirm they have converted over to the new Custom Rom map by clicking the button on their my maps page? I'd like to know if the issue I'm having is just with me or for all custom tunes, i have verified that OTS maps work with antilag.
      03-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #12
f93_gc
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Competition Gran C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I was able to get E30 working on MultiMap without an Ethanol sensor. PTF Support helped.

Here's the steps on laptop:
Flash the new Stg2 MultiMap.
Go into the LiveConfig tab.
Map-switch to #3 for 93 octane.
Set the Ethanol sensor override switch.
Set the slider to 30% (or 85% for E85).
Turn off car for 10 seconds, then start.

Worked great for me!!!
Thanks proTUNING Freaks

Was really hoping someone could post this as i am also running E30, thank you!
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5392.50
      03-11-2021, 03:23 AM   #13
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
I sent over an email describing all the steps i did and antilag did not work. Hoping for a reply soon, not sure if i missed a step. Has anyone here successful been able to convert over a custom tune, flash, and get antilag working? Thanks in advance
Works for me! I converted my custom and my older OTS map. Incredible work guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 03:24 AM   #14
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post
"Combining existing/old OTS maps into a multimap is not something currently supported"

Is that just not in atm or not coming at all? Only these bundled maps?
I've been envisioning being able to do the following since the announcement.

Map2: CS stock power map
Map3: ACN91 octane stg1
Map4: Valet Mode (which was mentioned as coming)
I have a similar requirement and I was thinking of a similar setup as well...

Map2: Stage 0 GTS
Map3: Stage CS+
Map4: Stage 1

Is this setup possible with the new update?
      03-11-2021, 03:43 AM   #15
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Quote:
Works for me! I converted my custom and my older OTS map. Incredible work guys!
Thanks! And antilag worked?
      03-11-2021, 03:54 AM   #16
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Early build MY 5/2014 so CS not comparable but I do run the GTS map and seems it is not listed
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 03:55 AM   #17
ghost.f82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp

This is massively underwhelming to be honest. My custom tuner is telling me that he can't simply bundle my maps (4 of them) together. I'd have to buy a fresh 'CustomROM' tune and then an extra add on for each additional slot.

This doesn't seem to me like what PTF advertised, where you could pick the map for each slot.

Shame really, was super excited.
Appreciate 4
cbertels1212.00
HyeM3464.50
      03-11-2021, 04:10 AM   #18
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! And antilag worked?
Yeah it sounds so mean car brakes loose when it kicks its so violently amazing! LOL!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 04:11 AM   #19
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Early build MY 5/2014 so CS not comparable but I do run the GTS map and seems it is not listed
Mine isn’t a CS either it works
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 04:39 AM   #20
f80fan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post

That's exactly what i envisaged.. and wanted.

Does anyone know what Multimaps are available
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:13 AM   #21
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Mine isn’t a CS either it works
I was just basing this on what PTF advises...And my bad..it was CS+

So what is the advantage of CS map over GTS map? Been running the GTS and love it. Have not tried the CS map since I was stupid and didnt read it correctly
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:19 AM   #22
Marrow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 comp & E46 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post

That's exactly what i envisaged.. and wanted.

Does anyone know what Multimaps are available
This is what we all expected it doesn't look like this is what we have got sadly.
Appreciate 1
cbertels1212.00