Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #133
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yo!

Thanks to this thread and a few others I decided to install the V1 in front of my 2015 base f80. I really wanted to go full CO's, but I thought better of it and decided to go with the Eibach front spring only set up. I am really glad I did.

FWIW, my car has just over 85k miles, and I believe the shocks are the stock units. They are in good shape, albeit dirty. No leaks, and the shafts are clean. I came from a B16 equipped EDC M240ix, and the M3 felt super soft in comparison to the CO equipped M240. I figured I needed to replace the struts/shocks due to age. But, as I got used to the M chassis over time I realized the stock suspension was actually freakin' amazing for a mostly weekend car.

Fast forward to the install. The install has to be one of the easiest I have ever done. Taking my time it took me 4 hours, and most of that was on the first strut as I figured out what needed to be removed.

I now have some miles in on these springs, and I love the look and the performance. The cool thing is they brought some life back to my suspension. And I am debating installing the rears now. I think the initial "soft" feeling I felt when the car was new to me (3 months, 2600mi) was possibly the old springs vs. the shocks.I do get the Eibachs are a stiffer spring, but I am willing to bet new OEM springs would have made a tangible difference as well.

Lastly, I did NOT cut the bump stops, and I think in hind sight I should have. Or at least got the Dinan/OEM shorter bumps. I have def felt the bumps on some larger dips and such, but it has not been violent or a hard hit.

What is the consensus on stock vs cut or shorter bump stops on the V1 Eibachs?

Thanks a ton for any help!

josh
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #134
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36/7 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
Yo!

Thanks to this thread and a few others I decided to install the V1 in front of my 2015 base f80. I really wanted to go full CO's, but I thought better of it and decided to go with the Eibach front spring only set up. I am really glad I did.

FWIW, my car has just over 85k miles, and I believe the shocks are the stock units. They are in good shape, albeit dirty. No leaks, and the shafts are clean. I came from a B16 equipped EDC M240ix, and the M3 felt super soft in comparison to the CO equipped M240. I figured I needed to replace the struts/shocks due to age. But, as I got used to the M chassis over time I realized the stock suspension was actually freakin' amazing for a mostly weekend car.

Fast forward to the install. The install has to be one of the easiest I have ever done. Taking my time it took me 4 hours, and most of that was on the first strut as I figured out what needed to be removed.

I now have some miles in on these springs, and I love the look and the performance. The cool thing is they brought some life back to my suspension. And I am debating installing the rears now. I think the initial "soft" feeling I felt when the car was new to me (3 months, 2600mi) was possibly the old springs vs. the shocks.I do get the Eibachs are a stiffer spring, but I am willing to bet new OEM springs would have made a tangible difference as well.

Lastly, I did NOT cut the bump stops, and I think in hind sight I should have. Or at least got the Dinan/OEM shorter bumps. I have def felt the bumps on some larger dips and such, but it has not been violent or a hard hit.

What is the consensus on stock vs cut or shorter bump stops on the V1 Eibachs?

Thanks a ton for any help!

josh
I have front and rear V1s on and have been on some pretty bumpy, uneven roads. Stock stops are fine.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      12-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #135
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubacca View Post
I have front and rear V1s on and have been on some pretty bumpy, uneven roads. Stock stops are fine.
Thank you very much....

josh
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #136
_Timm3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I had V1's installed last year, but for some reason it doesn't seem that the rear lowered at all. I'm super happy with the ride quality though. Slightly stiffer than stock and rarely scrape my front lip.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-30-2022, 07:43 PM   #137
BananaSlug
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mk7 GTI → F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Timm3 View Post
I had V1's installed last year, but for some reason it doesn't seem that the rear lowered at all. I'm super happy with the ride quality though. Slightly stiffer than stock and rarely scrape my front lip.
I think that's perfect for daily driving. I wouldn't want the rear lowered more than stock.
bmwbrad22249.00
      03-31-2022, 03:30 PM   #138
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral White F82 ZCP 6pd

Quote:
Are you running spacers as well? The drop looks perfect and the wheels look perfectly flush. Loving this look.

2011 Blk M3 ESS VT2 625/ES Race *Sold*
2018 MW F82 ZCP 6spd *Sold*
2021 Audi S5 SB
Appreciate 1
_Timm334.00
      03-31-2022, 03:44 PM   #139
_Timm3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
Quote:
Are you running spacers as well? The drop looks perfect and the wheels look perfectly flush. Loving this look.
Yes, running 15mm front and 20mm rear. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 06:11 AM   #140
BWT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Does anyone know what the suspension travel (from kerb weight resting position to bump stop) is for the ZCP OEM set up? I’m in Australia and to keep the car legal for registration and insurance, the car can’t be lowered by more than one third of the OEM suspension travel. I think the V1’s drop the front by 20mm and rear by approx 10mm which means that the OEM travel needs to be more than 60mm front and 30mm rear for it to be legal.

I had my car in for service this week and I asked the dealership but they did not know which surprised me.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 08:44 AM   #141
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
Does anyone know what the suspension travel (from kerb weight resting position to bump stop) is for the ZCP OEM set up? I’m in Australia and to keep the car legal for registration and insurance, the car can’t be lowered by more than one third of the OEM suspension travel. I think the V1’s drop the front by 20mm and rear by approx 10mm which means that the OEM travel needs to be more than 60mm front and 30mm rear for it to be legal.

I had my car in for service this week and I asked the dealership but they did not know which surprised me.
So little late in answering, not sure if you're still in the market.

In terms of inches, it's really where the full suspension drop would be. In this picture take 'before' the springs were installed - fully compressed would be somewhere between the 24" mark and the 24.5" mark on this tape measure. From this, the full stock suspension travel on the front would be between 3.375" and 2.875"

Considering the .7" drop, you would be looking between 79% travel on the high side, to 75% travel on the low side.

Personally, I think the drop is subtle enough not to question it. The Eibach springs are also black, so they do not stand out. I'd be shocked if any inspection agency would catch this. I doubt they would look until the tire started getting into the wheel well.

Mine is the V2 drop.
Attached Images

04-24-2022, 08:26 AM   #142
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Here's mine with V2 front springs and V1 rear springs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bmwbrad22249.00
      04-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #143
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

^ That's money! Must be perfect for a daily.

If having kid(s) in the back seat wasn't a concern, i'd go this route.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 12:13 AM   #144
///Msports180
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 C63

I have these in my 14 F80, have noticed more bottoming out than with stock springs. As in hit good bump and it will hit the bump stops. Same roads, same speeds but now hitting the bump stops. Only negative, otherwise perfect.
Attached Images

04-26-2022, 05:58 PM   #145
BWT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
So little late in answering, not sure if you're still in the market.

In terms of inches, it's really where the full suspension drop would be. In this picture take 'before' the springs were installed - fully compressed would be somewhere between the 24" mark and the 24.5" mark on this tape measure. From this, the full stock suspension travel on the front would be between 3.375" and 2.875"

Considering the .7" drop, you would be looking between 79% travel on the high side, to 75% travel on the low side.

Personally, I think the drop is subtle enough not to question it. The Eibach springs are also black, so they do not stand out. I'd be shocked if any inspection agency would catch this. I doubt they would look until the tire started getting into the wheel well.

Mine is the V2 drop.
Thanks ShopVac. That's what I thought too but came across this this article which indicates that lowering of 35mm will hit the bump stop and the rest of the travel will be with absorption by the bump stop.

https://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/fo...ct-suspension/

Think I'll go ahead with it anyway - as you mentioned, the drop using V1's would be subtle.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 06:52 PM   #146
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EezyBeezy View Post
^ That's money! Must be perfect for a daily.

If having kid(s) in the back seat wasn't a concern, i'd go this route.
Thanks

I have kids in the back seat. No issues.

I did rub a little with a trunk full of luggage and a heavy bag of tools, and kid in the back seat. It would probably rub with adults in the back.

The ride is nice and smooth. I drove it daily for a year or so.
Appreciate 1
EezyBeezy266.50
      05-19-2022, 01:12 AM   #147
GritsNGravy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Comp Package

ZCP Spring recall? Eibach V2 front - rear spring recommendation

Anyone know if there was a recall on the ZCP springs I missed? (Skip below for photos)

What Happened -
Other week I released the E-brake and hit the gas to drive away from front of my house, there was a loud pop (like the e-brake was stuck/released). Then came loud crunching, so i went 2 feet then reversed back in. Upon investigation the right rear was totally down. Took the wheel off and found the spring had like popped out. (Photo below)

Researched and ordered Eibach V2 springs (was gonna do friends reco swift, but my daughter rides in the back and live in New England (CT)), received last week and installed. Decided to do all the springs on the full car, not just the rear. Rear right spring (main problem at first) the spring was broken in 2 places and there was rust indicating been an issue - and upon doing the left rear the spring literally like collapsed as I opened it up. The spring was broken in 3 places (I had thought it was fine), and again looked like there was rust.

Front springs were fine, apart from a destroyed boot cover.

I have a 2018 M3 ZCP with 29K miles, I do about 2-3 K a year max (bought car June 2019 with like 14K miles or something). So, honestly I don’t drive much. I only really drive my daughter to and from school (15 minutes each way) and random rare trip to Vermont when it in the wife’s suv.

My friend who helped me do the spring install showed his mechanic friend the springs, he recommended bring up with BMW and check on any recalls.

The most concerning part is the fact that I must have been driving around with shattered/rusted/whatever springs without knowing, which could have been disastrous in morning as I do take highway some days for a small stretch.

Side note - on the Eibach V2 springs:
- Drop is great in the front, but WAYYY to low for my tastes in the back and looks off. Unless my rear is lower than usual, I can’t even fit fingers (which look like other peoples online). Just too low, need to raise the rears.
- I have some rubbing when i turn fully right (photo attached). I have 666’s and I do have spacers on.

Now for fixing the rear height (I can take photos tomorrow), since I don’t have the option to re-use my rear springs does anyone have any rear spring recommendations to raise the rear and look good with Eibach V2’s…?

If you read all this, your awesome.

Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 04:22 PM   #148
ItsPapa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

If anyone's got a some Euro Springs laying around that they want to get rid off, message me!

This thread made me decide to go with Euro/V1 over the US/V2.
Appreciate 0