EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Water injection woes

Hey guys! I'm in the process of turning my M2 Comp into a track car. It seems like a water only injection system might be a lightweight, easy mod to gain a solid dozen horses and radically drop temps. Having researched it a bit, I'm only running into one issue. It seems to be a massively complicated field.
That being said, for water injection only, how much will tuning for the WI matter or can we just slap it on the existing tune and call it a day? Moreover, how complicated a system will I need to use? I was looking at aquamist and there are 4 different tiers of complexity in the controller that I cannot for the life of me differentiate. Any help would be vastly appreciated.
Last thing- as regards failsafes. On our cars, which sensors is it best for the failsafe to be triggering from?

Car details:
2020 M2 competition, FBO with 1/8" meth bungs available on charge pipe. Straight pipe, manual gearbox. Plenty of other mods irrelevant to the topic. Probably at 510 horse because of crappy CA gas. Not doing e85 because I live in SoCal (no corn around me). Considering meth, seems to be highly illegal though. If I am wrong about that PLEASE tell me. Cheers guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

I'm curious if you know there are a lot of E85 stations in SoCal. A good resource to find E85 near you is with the E85 app or the Pearson Fuel App. I also live in SoCal and was surprised to see so many E85 stations near me that I didn't know about.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
I'm curious if you know there are a lot of E85 stations in SoCal. A good resource to find E85 near you is with the E85 app or the Pearson Fuel App. I also live in SoCal and was surprised to see so many E85 stations near me that I didn't know about.
Whereabouts in SoCal? I downloaded the app and the nearest one is a dozen miles in any direction
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cWW View Post
Quote:
Whereabouts in SoCal? I downloaded the app and the nearest one is a dozen miles in any direction
Ahh sorry to hear, you must be unfortunately located between a few. Pearson fuels only shows their gas stations on the app but I believe other fueling apps may show other options.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Look into the Snow WMI kits...either the stage 2.5 (boost reference, with round gauge controller) or stage 3 (boost and RPM referenced, with black box controller). Best to use 50/50 mix as directed, because you don't want too much water.
      11-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cWW View Post
Quote:
Ahh sorry to hear, you must be unfortunately located between a few. Pearson fuels only shows their gas stations on the app but I believe other fueling apps may show other options.
I'll search around! It seems like there is just a corridor around me that Pearson's missed lol
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Look into the Snow WMI kits...either the stage 2.5 (boost reference, with round gauge controller) or stage 3 (boost and RPM referenced, with black box controller). Best to use 50/50 mix as directed, because you don't want too much water.
Thanks for the advice! With a smaller injector, is there a downside to going with water only? Obviously not seeing the power gains, but it seems like a way to increase power while decreasing stress to the engine.

As regards the two controller types, is it always better to get the stage 3 variant and go based on rpm or would there be a reason to go with 2.5 other than cost? Also, it seems stage 4 is available and that the only downside is it is to be tuned correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

The methanol/water mix is more effective than just water from their documentation (they say minimum 50% meth), and the controller is factoring for the mix. I've only heard of people doing more than 50% meth but not less.

I don't see a Stage4 by Snow (any longer) , but Fuel-It has a LPFP named that. If I were I picking for continued use it would be the Snow model 3DI, and inject into the chargepipes.
      11-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The methanol/water mix is more effective than just water from their documentation (they say minimum 50% meth), and the controller is factoring for the mix. I've only heard of people doing more than 50% meth but not less.

I don't see a Stage4 by Snow (any longer) , but Fuel-It has a LPFP named that. If I were I picking for continued use it would be the Snow model 3DI, and inject into the chargepipes.
Sorry I got mixed up between 2/2.5 and 2.5/3! I see what you are saying now, that the 3 can be tuned in conjunction with the tune of the car. Honestly I was looking at water only because of the M4GTS setup, it seems they managed to get good power from water only you know? I will certainly send snow a message and see what can be done though. Have you heard good things about their customer service?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Sorry, no interactions with them.
      11-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #11
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I have done a little research on this, but i haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm looking at it for the exact same reason, just to cool IATs and keep the car from pulling timing on the road course as it does even on the CS tune while i'm running 93. On meth tunes there is meth dependent and non-meth dependent, the non-meth dependent is where i will run a STG1 91 BM3 tune on 93 octane and just spray a little water meth to lower the IAT and keep it from dropping timing. A meth-dependent tune has to have the meth running or it can cause engine failure. Eventually i'm sure i will run the 93 stg2 tune with some meth...

The setup i'm looking at is a Snow 2.5 stainless kit with the BMS 3 gallon trunk floor tank. Then run 1 CM5 nozzle in each charge pipe. You can get a macht schnell boost reference and tie this into the snow controller then it will start spraying at say 8psi and full at say 15psi, or if thats too much then have it start at 8psi and full at 35psi, that way at 22psi its not really 100%. This part will take some looking at logs and playing around.

By doing this i won't be adding much power if any, but i won't be losing much either from the beginning to the end of a session.

I looked at some of the GTS drawings and it has 4 water injectors on the intake side right before the charge cooler, but if we do that in the J pipe the distribution isn't as good.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #12
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
I have done a little research on this, but i haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm looking at it for the exact same reason, just to cool IATs and keep the car from pulling timing on the road course as it does even on the CS tune while i'm running 93. On meth tunes there is meth dependent and non-meth dependent, the non-meth dependent is where i will run a STG1 91 BM3 tune on 93 octane and just spray a little water meth to lower the IAT and keep it from dropping timing. A meth-dependent tune has to have the meth running or it can cause engine failure. Eventually i'm sure i will run the 93 stg2 tune with some meth...

The setup i'm looking at is a Snow 2.5 stainless kit with the BMS 3 gallon trunk floor tank. Then run 1 CM5 nozzle in each charge pipe. You can get a macht schnell boost reference and tie this into the snow controller then it will start spraying at say 8psi and full at say 15psi, or if thats too much then have it start at 8psi and full at 35psi, that way at 22psi its not really 100%. This part will take some looking at logs and playing around.
My man this was freaking enlightening. Are you in SoCal by any chance??
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #13
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Thanks, I have thread going in the track section also...

No I'm in KC
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:21 PM   #14
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Thanks, I have thread going in the track section also...

No I'm in KC
I'll take a read ASAP and see if it matches up. I've been sharing emails with the guys at FI interchillers about meth injection. Will follow up with anything I learn.
Appreciate 0