Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-11-2022, 11:24 AM   #1
Westyfield2
Rep
Drives: F83 Competition

Replacing Surround View Cameras - Software Adapting / Coding?

On my F80, I’ve got the Surround View cameras… which are great… except the cameras themselves on both front wings have become discoloured. Sun fade / cleaning chemicals / stone chips / etc.

And having just had the paintwork machine polished, those discoloured cameras are now letting the car down.

So I’m trying to replace the cameras with new ones.

66539240352 is the part.

I removed the wheel arch liner on the RHS and swapped the camera over to a new one I’ve bought. The image displayed, but… the picture was flipped on that side when on corner view, and the surround view came up with a “surround view failure” message on the dashboard. The camera was however physically in the same orientation as the original one that I removed.

I’m guessing that the new camera needs coding in, and the iDrive adapting to learn the position of each camera for creating a surround view picture?

Or should it “just work” but there’s a different part number for the LHS and RHS, and I’ve accidentally tried to fit a camera for the wrong side of the car?

Thanks!

Last edited by Westyfield2; 04-11-2022 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyfield2 View Post
On my F80, I’ve got the Surround View cameras… which are great… except the cameras themselves on both front wings have become discoloured. Sun fade / cleaning chemicals / stone chips / etc.

And having just had the paintwork machine polished, those discoloured cameras are now letting the car down.

So I’m trying to replace the cameras with new ones.

I removed the wheel arch liner on the RHS and swapped the camera over to a new one I’ve bought. The image displayed, but… the picture was flipped on that side when on corner view, and the surround view came up with a “surround view failure” message on the dashboard. The camera was however physically in the same orientation as the original one that I removed.

I’m guessing that the new camera needs coding in, and the iDrive adapting to learn the position of each camera for creating a surround view picture?

Or should it “just work” but there’s a different part number for the LHS and RHS, and I’ve accidentally tried to fit a camera for the wrong side of the car?

Thanks!
They need initialization with ISTA+ (Dealer level software)
Appreciate 1
hC1001591.00
      05-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
Westyfield2
Rep
Drives: F83 Competition

Have now successfully done it .
Both cameras are indeed the same as each other. Replaced them separately a couple of weeks apart and fixed the code for each.
Replacing each of them came up with the same "Side view failure" message. Although for me, it was only the right hand side that was upside down. The image for the left hand side appeared fine, but still triggered the same "Side view failure" message.

Instructions on what to do in ISTA for anyone else that needs it:
  • Open up ISTA, connect to the car, and do the full scan.
  • In the tree of listed modules you'll have the TRSVC module showing up as NOT green, because of the fault code logged.
  • Open up the TRSVC module.
  • Click on the button to open up 'ECU' functions.
  • Go to the Diagnosis Scan tab
  • Click on "Teach-in process, bumper camera, <side>" for the relevant side that you've replaced to select that camera.
  • Click on the "Read state" button.
  • The status on the right will say 'Running...', and at some points quickly toggle to 'Completed' before going back to running.
  • Once you've seen it say 'Completed' at least once, you can then stop.
  • Stop the operation, close, etc.
  • Clear all error codes.
  • Disconnect from the car.
  • Done!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 05:22 PM   #4
bimmermongrel
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Hey I know it's been almost 2 years but THANK YOU for posting this simple write up. I went through all the trouble of tearing off the front bumper of my X3 so I could replace a cracked front camera, which worked - only for it to go black again the next day. Seems it just needed to be taught, and after an overnight torrent for ISTA it's happy again now.
Appreciate 0