proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Track tune is worth it!

Hey guys i finally got a dedicated track tune and its amazing

I was running the CS tune or stg1 91 OTS tune and i wasn't sure if this would be a big difference, but it makes the car so drive able. i ended up getting a F80Paul Paul Johnson tuning tune. I went with a custom rom flex tune and slot 1 is the road course tune and slot 2 is street tune that has more torque and boost.

I am pretty impressed with how linear it makes the car, I have the sport throttle a little less sensitive but the torque/power comes on so smooth i can actually put it down. i have 305s in the rear but even on the CS tune it was hard to put the power down because if i would get a little loose i would turn into it and let off 20% but then it would swing back the other way. With the custom tune if it does get loose i let off the throttle 20% and it hooks and goes and is very controllable.

I asked to have this tune pretty conservative and i was only running 93 no ethanol so it doesn't make crazy power but its very smooth.

Next time out i will start adding some ethanol for some more power. I might upgrade to topmount Wagner intercooler also as my IATs would hit high 130s in 90 deg heat.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 1
RSXDC5707.00
      06-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

What is the tune (Power gain? Or changing the torque curve?) Any dyno sheets? I'm interested to see
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
sly1types
Captain
Rep

i'm not sure, i didn't ask him for any dyno graphs. I do plan on dynoing mine as i have baseline/stock(405/412) and stg2 93 ots (483/553) and custom E80 tune(591/640). It will be little bit before i have time to do it though.

I'm about 3mph faster down the straight vs the OTS tune. If i had to guess i would say 450-470whp and less than 500tq, but it comes in very smooth b/c the throttle, he leaves it partially closed at first.

Then on E50/E60 i hope to have 525-550whp. I doubt i will do any higher E just b/c i have to haul it out there and if i mix E80 and 91 E50 is reasonable of ethanol to bring.
F85 X5M
Appreciate 1
RSXDC5707.00
      06-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

+10,000 for F80Paul Paul Johnson.
      06-08-2021, 10:11 PM   #5
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
i'm not sure, i didn't ask him for any dyno graphs. I do plan on dynoing mine as i have baseline/stock(405/412) and stg2 93 ots (483/553) and custom E80 tune(591/640). It will be little bit before i have time to do it though.

I'm about 3mph faster down the straight vs the OTS tune. If i had to guess i would say 450-470whp and less than 500tq, but it comes in very smooth b/c the throttle, he leaves it partially closed at first.

Then on E50/E60 i hope to have 525-550whp. I doubt i will do any higher E just b/c i have to haul it out there and if i mix E80 and 91 E50 is reasonable of ethanol to bring.
Thanks for the info. I've been debating going for a road course tune and I think you finally convinced me. I've been running the OTS CS+ tune, which works well for me, but I love the power of the Stage 1. However, I like the smooth power delivery of the CS+. I'd love something in between the two.

I have a quick question. I see you mentioned your dyno runs with stage 2, but I don't see a downpipe in your signature. Are you currently running a downpipe?

I purchased a VSRF one to run the stage 2 tune, and I am wondering if I really need it, since a faster turbo spool isn't exactly what I need on the track since the initial torque spike is bad enough as it is. I also don't like the "holes" in the OTS Stage 1 map on various partial throttle positions. Just doesn't feel smooth to me. But the CS+ one seems pretty consistent.

If I go the custom tune route, I'm not sure if I should install the DP or not. Also, I have concerns about whether to heat-wrap it or not, but I know its catless so should generate less heat. Appreciate any insight you can give on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I've been debating going for a road course tune and I think you finally convinced me. I've been running the OTS CS+ tune, which works well for me, but I love the power of the Stage 1. However, I like the smooth power delivery of the CS+. I'd love something in between the two.

I have a quick question. I see you mentioned your dyno runs with stage 2, but I don't see a downpipe in your signature. Are you currently running a downpipe?

I purchased a VSRF one to run the stage 2 tune, and I am wondering if I really need it, since a faster turbo spool isn't exactly what I need on the track since the initial torque spike is bad enough as it is. I also don't like the "holes" in the OTS Stage 1 map on various partial throttle positions. Just doesn't feel smooth to me. But the CS+ one seems pretty consistent.

If I go the custom tune route, I'm not sure if I should install the DP or not. Also, I have concerns about whether to heat-wrap it or not, but I know its catless so should generate less heat. Appreciate any insight you can give on this.
Very little power added from DPs.
You get tailpipe stink, and rasp.
Last move, if needed for big turbos.
      06-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #7
sly1types
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post

I do have VRSF downpipes and AA single midpipe with stock muffler, then I asked Paul to have the flaps open 1-5th and closed in 6th and 7th, this is perfect so when I’m cruising on the highway it’s quite.

Not sure where you live, but start with an AA single midpipe, it makes it sound really good and it gets rid of 1 set of cats so it’s a little louder, then if you need more do downpipes. I ran it this way when I was under warranty.
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Very little power added from DPs.
You get tailpipe stink, and rasp.
Last move, if needed for big turbos.
Yes, this is what I am starting to conclude as well. My MPE exhaust is also loud enough already. The last thing I want to do is add a DP and then not able to stay below the dB minimum for Limerock.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I do have VRSF downpipes and AA single midpipe with stock muffler, then I asked Paul to have the flaps open 1-5th and closed in 6th and 7th, this is perfect so when I’m cruising on the highway it’s quite.

Not sure where you live, but start with an AA single midpipe, it makes it sound really good and it gets rid of 1 set of cats so it’s a little louder, then if you need more do downpipes. I ran it this way when I was under warranty.
Thanks for the advice. Tough call. Not sure I even need more power in lower RPMS, and my car is loud enough with the MPE exhaust. The only reason why I got the DP was to be able to run the Stage 2 tune. Maybe with some custom tuning, I can get close to Stage 2 top-end power levels without the DP/MP. I'll reach out to the tuner and ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:32 PM   #10
sly1types
Captain
Rep

I finally got it dynoed, i was surprised with how much power my track tunes make as they feel so linear, they just don't have the torque punch.

F85 X5M
Appreciate 2