Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-12-2020, 02:57 AM   #45
_robert_
Private
_robert_'s Avatar
105
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
Can you legally refuse to pop your hood?
Unfortunately if they have reasonable suspicion, from an old forum about this topic in California:

Quote:
Posted by a local Officer:
If you have anything that points to possible emissions modifications, then yes an officer can do an "Inspection" under your hood. The court finds it reasonable to for an officer to believe that a vehicle is modified because people who have modified exhaust, stickers, extra gauges, etc. usually have illegal mods (intakes, headers, blow-off valves, etc.). This is not a "Search", but a "Vehicle Inspection". If you don't have CARB numbers for everything, you are screwed and cited for 27156(B) cvc (Smog Ref Certification need). The car must be driven directly home and taken off the road. If you don't, the car is impounded. If you refuse to open the hood, you are subject to arrest under 2800 cvc. Officers are all being trained on what to look for. Getting sent to the state smog ref is worse than getting a moving violation, as they go over your car with a fine tooth comb. Thank the ricers in LA causing all of this enforcement by the way.

Last edited by _robert_; 09-12-2020 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #46
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
912
Rep
1,090
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
You want the BEST PSA EVER??

I got pulled over in my F10 M5 in California, 1st thing in the morning. Right after start-up - I have no cats in my car.

Full shake down, pop the hood, exhaust, etc..

Didn't go to inspection, showed up for the court date (in a suit). Judge asked me why I hadn't fixed the car yet, I told him I was planning on selling the car out of state and that he cost of going back to compliant was more expensive than I wanted to bear with. He asked if I wanted a 30 day extension, I said, i'd rather pay the fine.. Paid $700 that day at the court house with a check, and that was that.. Never had to deal with it again. I've gotten new registration after that with no issues.

TLDR - Just pay the fine and move on - way cheaper and less time consuming than dealing with trying to be compliant.
If I get caught, I hope I don't get sent to state ref. At this point, I rather just pay the fine than to pay to get everything removed and installed again (FBO).
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #47
stevehifi
Captain
338
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Irvine,CA

iTrader: (3)

Reviving this thread. I have a 2017 m3, does that mean under the CA laws that smog inspection would be in 2025? (8 years). Looking at putting on downpipes and want to know.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:13 AM   #48
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
1531
Rep
2,503
Posts

Drives: Scraper
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Oakland, CA

iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Reviving this thread. I have a 2017 m3, does that mean under the CA laws that smog inspection would be in 2025? (8 years). Looking at putting on downpipes and want to know.
You'll pay a Smog Abatement fee for the first 8 years, then a smog inspection will be due on the 9th year.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #49
Boostd4
Private
United_States
25
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP Silverstone
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Reviving this thread. I have a 2017 m3, does that mean under the CA laws that smog inspection would be in 2025? (8 years). Looking at putting on downpipes and want to know.
If you bought the car used, you are now in the 2 year cycle for smog. The 8 year plan is only for new cars and the original owner. Sucks...but that's how it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 10:34 PM   #50
papasmurf_m3
Captain
papasmurf_m3's Avatar
United_States
289
Rep
634
Posts

Drives: YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
You want the BEST PSA EVER??

I got pulled over in my F10 M5 in California, 1st thing in the morning. Right after start-up - I have no cats in my car.

Full shake down, pop the hood, exhaust, etc..

Didn't go to inspection, showed up for the court date (in a suit). Judge asked me why I hadn't fixed the car yet, I told him I was planning on selling the car out of state and that he cost of going back to compliant was more expensive than I wanted to bear with. He asked if I wanted a 30 day extension, I said, i'd rather pay the fine.. Paid $700 that day at the court house with a check, and that was that.. Never had to deal with it again. I've gotten new registration after that with no issues.

TLDR - Just pay the fine and move on - way cheaper and less time consuming than dealing with trying to be compliant.

Thank you for this. I just got a stupid Ca state ref ticket and was thinking how much of a nightmare its going back to stock then back it would cost me more then just paying the fine.

I wonder if a loud exhaust ref ticket is the same cost. But, I will do it this way. It makes more sense.

Hope it works. Lesson learned.
__________________
IG @papasmurf_m3

60-130 mph 6.72 secs

ecutek - bend calibration - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 10:44 PM   #51
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
1531
Rep
2,503
Posts

Drives: Scraper
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Oakland, CA

iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Thank you for this. I just got a stupid Ca state ref ticket and was thinking how much of a nightmare its going back to stock then back it would cost me more then just paying the fine.

I wonder if a loud exhaust ref ticket is the same cost. But, I will do it this way. It makes more sense.

Hope it works. Lesson learned.
If it's not too late, you can hire either Ticket Dismissers or F Your Ticket to waive the state referee. IMO, this is a better option than giving your money directly to the state.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #52
Wanted_M
Lieutenant
Wanted_M's Avatar
United_States
237
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (1)

Bummer man, that blows. Where you rolling thru gears or just cruising?
__________________
M4CS Frozen Blue
Dinan HAS | Dinan x-pipe | Fall Line links | Hotchkis bars | K&N | Spiegler |TC Kline plates | Xpel stealth
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #53
papasmurf_m3
Captain
papasmurf_m3's Avatar
United_States
289
Rep
634
Posts

Drives: YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
If it's not too late, you can hire either Ticket Dismissers or F Your Ticket to waive the state referee. IMO, this is a better option than giving your money directly to the state.
I was just thinking that too. Contacted both just in case. I'm sure they know more about this than I do. Thank you for the reminder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Bummer man, that blows. Where you rolling thru gears or just cruising?
Ya, I was kinda just cruising back home w/ some in and out for the family. I turned on sport plus with some loud pops and cop heard it.

Lesson learned I'm keeping in efficient mode for city streets.
__________________
IG @papasmurf_m3

60-130 mph 6.72 secs

ecutek - bend calibration - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+

Last edited by papasmurf_m3; 06-12-2021 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:22 PM   #54
BzsBimmer
Major General
BzsBimmer's Avatar
United_States
1963
Rep
5,600
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 & 2019 X7
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nor. Cal

iTrader: (27)

Sucks for sure. What area in Cali?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #55
papasmurf_m3
Captain
papasmurf_m3's Avatar
United_States
289
Rep
634
Posts

Drives: YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Sucks for sure. What area in Cali?
San Diego county brotha!
__________________
IG @papasmurf_m3

60-130 mph 6.72 secs

ecutek - bend calibration - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #56
BzsBimmer
Major General
BzsBimmer's Avatar
United_States
1963
Rep
5,600
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 & 2019 X7
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nor. Cal

iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
San Diego county brotha!
Good to know… will have to remember that if driving down. I think from OC and down, they can get pretty strict on sound. A few members have had tickets in OC.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #57
f82_boi
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW F82 M4 Competition
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

My friend has received a State Ref on this STI last year and just paid it off rather than fixing everything, is that still an option or did they make it mandatory to fix it??
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #58
milk242
Captain
179
Rep
731
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (4)

Someone should add one of those fake exhausts noise generators that's over 96db to a Tesla model 3 and see if you can get pulled over.
__________________
14 S4 (sold)
16 M3
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST