Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #67
JeffM-Houston
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - White/Sakir

I like the sound also, one of the guys at work commented yesterday when I came back from a lunch meeting how mean it sounded when I drove be him.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #68
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Here's mine. Just uploaded a video of the cold start for you non believers

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 4
      07-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #69
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

Here is mine. just a start. Cold start is really much louder
Appreciate 4
      07-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #70
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by erind View Post
Here is mine. just a start. Cold start is really much louder
Wow! That's awesome! Akra or MPE?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #71
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordon335 View Post
Its not artificial sound. Its actual engine noise piped into the cabin. Its not a soundtrack like the M5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by /// M sa View Post
Once again it's not effing bogus/fake sound it's actual engine sound piped in... Geez how the hell do you all own the car and keep making stupid comments lol.
No it's fake. You can code an F3X to have the ASD of an F8X.
      07-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #72
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Wow! That's awesome! Akra or MPE?
MPE + CG precision valve controller
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #73
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i've been thinking about getting an F80 M3 as a 2nd 'family car' to join my stable next year---but honestly i've heard many in person now and it does NOT sound good....probably one of the worst sounding BMWs i've ever heard....sorry!

I may still end up getting one, but really would need to find a way to improve the sound. It sounds like ducks farting.

are there good aftermarket solutions for it?

And you've heard ducks farting ... where? Sounds like someone has a wild imagination, and even worse judgement.

But anyway, I can totally relate to your situation. I was all set on dating Kate Upton last year, until I read an investigative report by 60 minutes about how Kate sucks at managing her finances. What a turn off ... sorry! I may still date her, but I'll have to keep a close eye on our expenses.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #74
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by /// M sa View Post
Once again it's not effing bogus/fake sound it's actual engine sound piped in... Geez how the hell do you all own the car and keep making stupid comments lol.
Huh. How ironic that you are calling people stupid
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #75
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erind View Post
MPE + CG precision valve controller

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #76
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post

Here are a few things:

1. I hate the idea of active sound and feel like it's a silly-at-best, and futile-at-worst, waste of engineering resources.

2. It's not very discernible, unless you close all windows, turn off the A/C and mute the radio. And reeeeeally pop those ears.

3. It's totally irrelevant, since the f80/82 already sounds amazing from the outside. I don't think they've engineered active sound for pedestrians yet.

4. The car sounds like a sports car should. But the caveat is that you have to have lived with one or experienced it for a few days. Not just regurgitating forum opinions or online impressions from anonymous users.

5. Just because you can code CAR A to sound like CAR B, does not mean CAR B has "fake sound". I can code your f32 to sound like a renault clio. Does that mean Renault Clio's have "fake sound". Quite the impenetrable logic you got there.

6. To this date, I do not have a good answer on whether the active sound is a pre-recorded sound, or amplified real-time sounds. Although I am not big on conspiracy theories, I am beginning to feel like BMW has intentionally created a cloud of confusion around this matter.

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 07-26-2015 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #77
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
Quote:
i've been thinking about getting an F80 M3 as a 2nd 'family car' to join my stable next year---but honestly i've heard many in person now and it does NOT sound good....probably one of the worst sounding BMWs i've ever heard....sorry!

I may still end up getting one, but really would need to find a way to improve the sound. It sounds like ducks farting.

And you've heard ducks farting ... where? Sounds like someone has a wild imagination, and even worse judgement.

But anyway, I can totally relate to your situation. I was all set on dating Kate Upton last year, until I read an investigative report by 60 minutes about how Kate sucks at managing her finances. What a turn off ... sorry! I may still date her, but I'll have to keep a close eye on our expenses.
no offense, man...just saying what I think as someone who is thinking of buying one as a 2nd 'family car'. I know i'm not the only one who thinks they sound underwhelming; especially by BMW M standards. It definitely has a farty and rattling tone which isn't my cup of tea..but if you like it then you are free to of course!

For me it's all about tone and not just noise...anyone can install a noisy exhaust but the tone of it really makes the sound of a car. The E9X M3 had a beautiful tone....my 1M has a beautiful tone...the M5 and M6 have a beautiful tone...even the N55 135 and 235 have a beautiful tone...I am not hearing that in the F8X.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #78
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

I like the farty sound. It reminds me that it will be shitting on a lot of other cars
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #79
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no offense, man...just saying what I think as someone who is thinking of buying one as a 2nd 'family car'. I know i'm not the only one who thinks they sound underwhelming; especially by BMW M standards. It definitely has a farty and rattling tone which isn't my cup of tea..but if you like it then you are free to of course!

Mind boggling. You're going to buy a "family car", twice the price of your 4 year old 1M? And just what is it about the f80 that screams "family car" to you, with the wintery northeast weather? And I'm sorry ... but you're selecting a family car based on how it sounds?

Dude, there is just so much wrong here, which makes you come across as a non-serious buyer. That's probably why you're getting some push back here. Folks can smell that kind of B.S. a mile away. But i'll stop there.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #80
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I like the farty sound. It reminds me that it will be shitting on a lot of other cars
OMG, that's awesome!
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #81
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
i prefer my F80 sound over my F10 M5. The M5 had a muffler delete and sounded good but the M3 sounds really crazy and angry. more aggressive.

That's interesting. and obviously very good to hear!

I never really loved my e92 M3. And the exhaust sound (or lack thereof) was never, EVER, anything memorable. The high revving V8 sounds were of course addicting, but how often do you get to hear that on daily driving?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #82
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post

Here are a few things:

1. I hate the idea of active sound and feel like it's a silly-at-best, and futile-at-worst, waste of engineering resources.

2. It's not very discernible, unless you close all windows, turn off the A/C and mute the radio. And reeeeeally pop those ears.

3. It's totally irrelevant, since the f80/82 already sounds amazing from the outside. I don't think they've engineered active sound for pedestrians yet.

4. The car sounds like a sports car should. But the caveat is that you have to have lived with one or experienced it for a few days. Not just regurgitating forum opinions or online impressions from anonymous users.

5. Just because you can code CAR A to sound like CAR B, does not mean CAR B has "fake sound". I can code your f32 to sound like a renault clio. Does that mean Renault Clio's have "fake sound". Quite the impenetrable logic you got there.

6. To this date, I do not have a good answer on whether the active sound is a pre-recorded sound, or amplified real-time sounds. Although I am not big on conspiracy theories, I am beginning to feel like BMW has intentionally created a cloud of confusion around this matter.
My point is to say that it is synthesized or premade, and not an amplification of the actual live sound coming from the engine.

If it wasn't like that then you couldn't code the F3X for F8X active sound and have it actually work.

I had it on my car for a week and it was extremely noticeable.
      07-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #83
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

+1000
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #84
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Mind boggling. You're going to buy a "family car", twice the price of your 4 year old 1M? And just what is it about the f80 that screams "family car" to you, with the wintery northeast weather? And I'm sorry ... but you're selecting a family car based on how it sounds?

Dude, there is just so much wrong here, which makes you come across as a non-serious buyer. That's probably why you're getting some push back here. Folks can smell that kind of B.S. a mile away. But i'll stop there.

hilarious when people talk without use of the fantastic powers of the mind.

exactly where did i say i am buying a car based on how it sounds? lol

Currently the 1M is my only driver...and it is PHENOMENAL. I couldn't ask for anything more....except an extra set of doors to get the infant car seat in which would be nice, but NOT required as we are doing just fine with the 1M albeit a bit of sweat to work it. Since there is no such thing as a '4 door 1M" (oh how i wish there were) the closest thing is an F80 M3. The M3 is not "twice" the price of a 1M.....in fact 1Ms, on average, sell for about $55k used at the moment and my F80 M3 would be a 'stripper' so it would be around $65k or so.

I would NEVER sell the 1M to get an M3......so i will be adding an M3 to a garage. If i am spending $65k on a 2nd car, it better please me in every way possible......hence my comments on its exhaust note. I'm not the average bloke, like you, who can accomodate comprimise on my enjoyment. Yes i reserve to the right to be picky..

This was a thread about exhaust notes.....not your inability to read.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #85
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hilarious when people talk without use of the fantastic powers of the mind.

exactly where did i say i am buying a car based on how it sounds? lol

Currently the 1M is my only driver...and it is PHENOMENAL. I couldn't ask for anything more....except an extra set of doors to get the infant car seat in which would be nice, but NOT required as we are doing just fine with the 1M albeit a bit of sweat to work it. Since there is no such thing as a '4 door 1M" (oh how i wish there were) the closest thing is an F80 M3. The M3 is not "twice" the price of a 1M.....in fact 1Ms, on average, sell for about $55k used at the moment and my F80 M3 would be a 'stripper' so it would be around $65k or so.

I would NEVER sell the 1M to get an M3......so i will be adding an M3 to a garage. If i am spending $65k on a 2nd car, it better please me in every way possible......hence my comments on its exhaust note. I'm not the average bloke, like you, who can accomodate comprimise on my enjoyment. Yes i reserve to the right to be picky..

This was a thread about exhaust notes.....not your inability to read.

Dude, I know you have a poor reputation around here for poo-pooing any car that's not a 1M, but let's get serious. It's not my inability to read, but more your inability to own up to your statements and make up your mind. Here's the post where you say you are thinking about getting an f80 as a second family car, but "the sound" was the only deterrent you mention, turning you away form that purchase.

Am I putting words in your mouth here?

Quote:

Appreciate 0