European Auto Source
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons

09-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Question about Dinan ECU

I have a Dinan tune with the heat exchanger. Would I be able to remove it (the tune) and go back to stock or go to a different tune in the future? Im happy with it but just curious as there are more options to me once I'm out of warranty. Thanks
      09-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
6SPD GOD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post
I have a Dinan tune with the heat exchanger. Would I be able to remove it (the tune) and go back to stock or go to a different tune in the future? Im happy with it but just curious as there are more options to me once I'm out of warranty. Thanks

Isn't Dinan just a piggyback like JB4?

If so you could just remove the hardware; your dealer warranty is already over since you'd only be covered by Dinan.

You're pretty much out of drivetrain warranty due to Dinan. You have choices such as BM3 and VF which actually make power.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
MGF82
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Yes, no problem. The Dinan tune is a piggyback module. All you have to do is remove it and the car will be at the stock tune. I purchased a 2015 M4 with Dinan stage 2 and removed it. Now I have BM3.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGF82 View Post
Quote:
Yes, no problem. The Dinan tune is a piggyback module. All you have to do is remove it and the car will be at the stock tune. I purchased a 2015 M4 with Dinan stage 2 and removed it. Now I have BM3.
Thanks. What were your impressions?
      09-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
6SPD GOD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6SP

Quote:

Dinan makes no power for the $$$.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1452847

read this post.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1452847
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
MGF82
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stage 1 BM3 is better than Stage 2 Dinan. Better drivability and more power.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #7
LOW4LYF
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Better Drivability? How so...lol

I have the Stage 3 without any issues. Smooth as butter. And if I'm running into any issues I just bring it back to the dealership and don't need to worrying about anything.

I'm with you, you can get more HP for your $, but I was looking for a headache free dealership installed tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
MGF82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Quote:
Better Drivability? How so...lol

I have the Stage 3 without any issues. Smooth as butter. And if I'm running into any issues I just bring it back to the dealership and don't need to worrying about anything.

I'm with you, you can get more HP for your $, but I was looking for a headache free dealership installed tune.
Car just seems to respond better. I didn't say the Dinan is bad, just like how the car drives better with BM3.

My car is out of warranty so it was an easy decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Car just seems to respond better. I didn't say the Dinan is bad, just like how the car drives better with BM3.

My car is out of warranty so it was an easy decision.
Coming from a Dinan stage 3 on my 335i n54 myself, I too plan doing the same with BM3 once my warranty is over, or even bootmod3 for my f80cp. My Dinan was a very good set up and I never had any issue during my time with the 335i.
      09-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Dinantronic, Burger Motorsport JB3/JB4, ESS and Active's "piggyback" setups are all pass thru devices.
Completely different then a legit flash tune
You cant compare them fairly as they not the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #11
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997

I just beat a Dinan Stage 2 with my BMS Stage 1 by 2 car lengths from 30-130. We did to runs. Dinan is total horse poo!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #12
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Some people like the feeling of being covered. Blow an engine from a tune, I don't have 25 grand to replace it. But Dinan would.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #13
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Some people like the feeling of being covered. Blow an engine from a tune, I don't have 25 grand to replace it. But Dinan would.
Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
LOW4LYF
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post
I just beat a Dinan Stage 2 with my BMS Stage 1 by 2 car lengths from 30-130. We did to runs. Dinan is total horse poo!
If thatís what you looking for, sure. I prefer quality over quantity.
Just because youíre not willing to pay for Dinan products, doesnít mean there are trash.

Stick with your BMS and enjoy. Letís talk again once you have an major engine warranty case
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #15
blackey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

You might want check with your BMW dealer on how Dinan is covering blown motors. I know of at least one at my dealer Dinan wasn't covering even though BMW/Dealer said it was caused by the tune. There are a lot of Dinan dealers jumping ship fyi. They are now owned by an equity group instead of and individual.

I had a Dinan Intake, Dinan Stage III, Dinan Exhaust, and suspension. Nothing but problems with the tune. It was in the shop for almost 6 weeks over 6 months and it never ran right. I finally sold the tune and put on a BM3. More power, smoother, and no check engine lights ever.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #16
LOW4LYF
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
You might want check with your BMW dealer on how Dinan is covering blown motors. I know of at least one at my dealer Dinan wasn't covering even though BMW/Dealer said it was caused by the tune. There are a lot of Dinan dealers jumping ship fyi. They are now owned by an equity group instead of and individual.

I had a Dinan Intake, Dinan Stage III, Dinan Exhaust, and suspension. Nothing but problems with the tune. It was in the shop for almost 6 weeks over 6 months and it never ran right. I finally sold the tune and put on a BM3. More power, smoother, and no check engine lights ever.

Sorry to hear about your issues. For my part canít say anything bad. My tune is smooth as OEM.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #17
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post

more or less ditto. both paragraphs.