Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #529
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I just test drove two 2018 M3s, one with 20s and one with 19s. Let me be clear, there is a huge difference in ride quality over crappy roads. The 19s were PSS tires.

My challenge is that I want the silver 19s on the Tanzanite blue they have (currently riding on the 20s). Dealer will swap the 19s, but they are the black ones.

Do I
A) take car with 20s, find someone to trade with
Or
B) take car with black 19s and maybe trade

there is no C, keep the 20s-ride was unbearable here in Chicagoland.
Take Option A if you're willing to be patient.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #530
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoua2u View Post
Ha, thats awesome. I just traded my 16 AW F82 in today for a 18 MW F80 ZCP. I got $10k off too
Got all the goodies except carbon brakes and full leather. So far, I love it much more.
Nice car, can you provide break down of 10K incentives and rebates . Is that for Dec only?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #531
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I just test drove two 2018 M3s, one with 20s and one with 19s. Let me be clear, there is a huge difference in ride quality over crappy roads. The 19s were PSS tires.

My challenge is that I want the silver 19s on the Tanzanite blue they have (currently riding on the 20s). Dealer will swap the 19s, but they are the black ones.

Do I
A) take car with 20s, find someone to trade with
Or
B) take car with black 19s and maybe trade

there is no C, keep the 20s-ride was unbearable here in Chicagoland.
Def A. If you look in the classified section there are always people buying/selling those wheels you should be able to find the silver 19s quickly.

Smart move on the silver also, especially on TB exterior.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #532
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Will the rebates and residuals continue in January 18 , anyone has insights
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #533
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Add it. I did and it's well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #534
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Will the rebates and residuals continue in January 18 , anyone has insights
No one really knows but I'm certain the incentives will expire on January 2, 2018.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #535
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Just drove a ZCP and non back to back, both manuals. ZCP is notably sharper overall, definitely more "sporty" and only slightly less comfortable (and I'm a huge baby when in comes to harshness). There was, however, much more road noise in the ZCP, no question. I connected with the ZCP and did not with the standard car (which was on 19s, btw). I would not consider a non ZCP at this point based on my experience today, albeit highly limited.

However, the throttle blip is immensely annoying and intrusive - is this disabled in sport plus whilst keeping traction control turned on? Absolute deal breaker if not completely disable-able.

Additionally, there was much more turbo lag than I'd expected. Stepping out of an S54 and into and S55 is eye-opening, as good as the S55 may be. Also thought it would be faster - I think I hyped it up too much in my mind.

Last edited by EricSMG; 12-31-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 09:15 PM   #536
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Just drove a ZCP and non back to back, both manuals. ZCP is notably sharper overall, definitely more "sporty" and only slightly less comfortable (and I'm a huge baby when in comes to harshness). There was, however, much more road noise in the ZCP, no question. I connected with the ZCP and did not with the standard car (which was on 19s, btw). I would not consider a non ZCP at this point based on my experience today, albeit highly limited.

However, the throttle blip is immensely annoying and intrusive - is this disabled in sport plus whilst keeping traction control turned on? Absolute deal breaker if not completely disable-able.

Additionally, there was much more turbo lag than I'd expected. Stepping out of an S54 and into and S55 is eye-opening, as good as the S55 may be. Also thought it would be faster - I think I hyped it up too much in my mind.
Auto rev match is disabled only in Sport+. I kinda like it actually. Does perfect downshifts every time don't even have to think about it.

How new was the car? Needs some break in and opening up before you can accurately judge how "slow" it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 10:37 PM   #537
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Auto rev match is disabled only in Sport+. I kinda like it actually. Does perfect downshifts every time don't even have to think about it.

How new was the car? Needs some break in and opening up before you can accurately judge how "slow" it is.
Fair point - car had 8 miles on it, 3 people in it and I was short shifting at 5k since brand new. I didn't want to rip on it as I may buy it. The power doesn't really come on until 3k - very lazy below that, not what I'm used to. But then it hits pretty good but not as hard as I expected - and with only a 2k window to play with I couldn't get into the horsepower so Im sure it's very fast.... Just expected a bigger midrange is all. With only a driver and once broken in I'm sure it's a beast.

Lovely car though. The people who bitch about the electric steering are overreacting - it felt totally fine to me as a 46M driver which has some of the best steering ever designed. Could it be better? Sure, but it's a non issue once at speed. Car handled very well. Great shifter. Firm, taught ride. Drop dead looks.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #538
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

I also drove ZCP vs non ZCP back to back. Same impression as you overall, although I’m a DCT fan. I also tried a manual the same day, and liked the rev matched downshifting. Wasn’t enough to sway me though - still went for DCT.

Overall very happy with the car. Very well balanced, tight but not too rigid, feels lighter than my GTR. Steering feels quite good to me as well, I mostly use sport plus. I don’t find it tail happy but I haven’t pushed it too much yet. Traction does limit somewhat in a 1st to 2nd from low speed.

And yes, the tire noise is there. As much as in my GTR actually- which surprises me for some reason. I’ll sacrifice the noise for the grip, but it would be nice if the tires were a bit more silent.

The car does move a lot better when rowing the gears between 5 and 7k. I can see this car trapping 119, as a few ZCP owners have proven can be done. One of these days I’ll take it to the strip and find out for myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #539
Memphis17CPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 CP M4

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
You are spot on and exactly why I got Comp Pack
Ditto
Spot on. I want to do intake, charge pipes, down tubes but worry about warranty. Even talked to my SA. Just a little fearful and, yes that is why I got a CP.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #540
Memphis17CPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 CP M4

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete69916 View Post
I went non-ZCP for the following

-20s look hideous, and WAY too heavy even in aftermarket forged land. Theyre like 26lbs right? Absurd in any context i can think of in 2017. Also, 20" = stiff for no reason. Bumps do not = grip. Solely looks. More costly tires if anything, and more weight. Any REAL racecar enthusiast would never dare in a million years go with a larger wheel than is necessary to clear the calipers. In fact its the only mechanical reason to go larger, anything more is more unnecessary weight. Ask me why F1 cars run 13-14" wheels.

-I can just get a set of Ohlins with custom rates. I can guarantee Ohlins knows more than BMW's glorified "engineers" (marketing "experts"). They get paid to mass produce and save costs, not make the best. Independents always win dollar for dollar.

-I prefer the non-fucked seats, i don't like dick holes in my back.

-alleged +20-30hp, i can get that for $400 easy. Arent the non-ZCP "underrated" on power anyways? Either way it makes no difference, im modding, my tune will be much better than something conservative from a marketer - who is payed to de-tune cars so they can justify the next not-so-big jump the next generation. We should have 500-600 stock at crank, its more than capable in 2017, but not in the financial interests of the tops. Adding a "huge" 15hp/generation is better for them long term.
@pistolpete69916 bro - Angry much? Did a BMW engineer sleep with your wife or run your puppy over?
Appreciate 4
Clark_Kent2227.50
DML967.50
      01-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #541
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Any REAL racecar enthusiast would never dare in a million years go with a larger wheel than is necessary to clear the calipers.
Quote:
So you ended up with something not faster than a non-ZCP, for looks. Ok. I bought it as a platform to mod.
Not even really for looks since I don't get the seats or the belts and the black gills and grilles are simple to buy for few hundred (and I can't say I'm huge fan of the wheels ... but they're growing on me). Mostly I got the CP because it was available, and my existing M4 doesn't have it, so it may make this new car feel different. or not. Whatever, seemed like a good risk to take.

Anyway, I guess my point is, you bought a mass produced commuter car with air conditioning, heated seats, satellite radio, and cruise control - that's not the platform "any REAL racecar enthusiast" starts from.

If you were "a REAL racecar enthusiast" you'd be building a spec racer or buy an M4 GT4, so tone it down a scosche there faux-Alonso.
Appreciate 7
      01-02-2018, 11:10 PM   #542
pistolpete69916
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Not even really for looks since I don't get the seats or the belts and the black gills and grilles are simple to buy for few hundred (and I can't say I'm huge fan of the wheels ... but they're growing on me). Mostly I got the CP because it was available, and my existing M4 doesn't have it, so it may make this new car feel different. or not. Whatever, seemed like a good risk to take.

Anyway, I guess my point is, you bought a mass produced commuter car with air conditioning, heated seats, satellite radio, and cruise control - that's not the platform "any REAL racecar enthusiast" starts from.

If you were "a REAL racecar enthusiast" you'd be building a spec racer or buy an M4 GT4, so tone it down a scosche there faux-Alonso.
I bought a car marketed as being "extensively light" for it's class. I guess you missed all the "extensive use of carbon and aluminum" highlights that basically sold the car to the enthusiast crowd over the years, beyond it's looks and bmw logo. 3550lbs is still heavy, but it's difficult to say other cars in this bracket weigh as much, heck the 350 and GTR are still well over 3800.

Im trying to emphasize that there is nothing "competition" about adding a bunch of weight to an already heavy rotating chunk of steel and aluminum, with no gains beyond the subjective. They could call it the "bling bling package", that would make a ton more sense, especially since they also didn't bother to increase the widths to allow more tire.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      01-03-2018, 06:20 AM   #543
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

I bought a car marketed as being "extensively light" for it's class. I guess you missed all the "extensive use of carbon and aluminum" highlights that basically sold the car to the enthusiast crowd over the years, beyond it's looks and bmw logo. 3550lbs is still heavy, but it's difficult to say other cars in this bracket weigh as much, heck the 350 and GTR are still well over 3800.

Im trying to emphasize that there is nothing "competition" about adding a bunch of weight to an already heavy rotating chunk of steel and aluminum, with no gains beyond the subjective. They could call it the "bling bling package", that would make a ton more sense, especially since they also didn't bother to increase the widths to allow more tire.
I'm going to agree with Pete Sampras here as the ZCP really is the Bling package. Just look at those seatbelts. Hahaha
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18156.50
      01-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #544
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Me in real life
[IMG]http://www.thegroundmag.com/wp-conte...Jon-Banner.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #545
Boxer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 6spd

My limited experience is that the ZCP is slightly firmer/sportier, and significantly louder in the cabin than non-ZCP. Up to you how you balance those two in making your decision. I'm in the over-40 club, so it was win-win for me to go non ZCP.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #546
Time Lord
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Nice car, can you provide break down of 10K incentives and rebates . Is that for Dec only?
i got the same also, i was told i had to buy before the new year as that was the cut off.

Side note- i thought they all came with carbon roofs!
      01-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #547
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Lord View Post
Quote:
i got the same also, i was told i had to buy before the new year as that was the cut off.

Side note- i thought they all came with carbon roofs!
Yep, cut off was Dec 31 from my dealer; either take all the discounts and incentives offered or take the risk what to come in Jan, so I did.

They do come with CF but it was actually an ordered car from someone who decided to back out.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #548
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Dang... didn't realize the ZCP seats didn't have (adjustable) lumbar support until a couple days ago. That moves the choice into the wife-acceptance-factor zone.
Also the M3-specific seats mean no swapping in a regular-3 seatback with storage pocket like I have on my E90.

Last edited by ///My5UV; 01-08-2018 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Yes I read the thread... what matters is lack of adjustment
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #549
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
Dang... didn't realize the ZCP seats didn't have lumbar until a couple days ago. That moves the choice into the wife-acceptance-factor zone.
Also the M3-specific seats mean no swapping in a regular-3 seatback with storage pocket like I have on my E90.
For the millionth time! they do have lumbar support, it's just not adjustable like the non ZCP!
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #550
casperM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I did not get the CP because I was given a very good deal on a non ZCP in the showrom (nobody wants it I guess). Now I'm regretting...
Appreciate 0