EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
HotlantaM4F83
Registered
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

My Damaged Oil Cooler Story

Hey all. I'm a newbie with a 2015 M4 convertible that I bought used with only 8k miles. Basically, previous owner broke it in for me. I have driven it a lot and it now has 9,700 miles. Best car I've ever owned.

Sorry about the long message. Trying to give as much info to you in case you know what to do or have similar experience.

Found this forum because I was trying to see what the internet had to say about my problem, which apparently is common for these engines with oil coolers at the front of the engine and with crappy plastic OEM shields. While driving on highway, something in the road got kicked into my lane by another car ahead of me but merging into my lane from the right lane, to avoid debris from another accident. I could not swerve in time to avoid and had to drive over. Whatever it was punctured my oil cooler, resulting in very fast oil loss, resulting in engine shutting down after driving about 1 mile (I had finally found a place to stop). Didn't have time to see if I could swerve into other lanes before the incident bc it happened so fast. And didn't want to swerve without looking since my wife and 2 year old kid were in the car.

After wards, a few warning signals came up, including oil pressure loss and "stop carefully." I should have tried to stop immediately, but I didn't. How could driving less than 1 mile hurt? Apparently, everything.... Lesson learned.

After towing to my mechanic (not bmw dealership) with a tow truck with a dolly system (bc could not shift from parking to neutral to put on normal flatbed), my mechanic replaced the oil cooler, refilled with oil, and reset computer, but engine still won't start. He then ran a compression test and found no compression in cylinder No. 3.

I'll admit, I don't know anything engines, unless its a 4 cylinder 1998 Toyota 4Runner engine. Wondering if anyone on this board had any insights about saving my engine. If there is total loss of compression, then could it be something outside the cylinder (piston, valve, rings, etc...)? I ask because others have told me that if there is partial compression loss, then that means the cylinder is scraped/scored/damaged, and the engine is toast. But if total compression loss, then possible that I could save the engine? Anyone have this type of experience or have any thoughts on how I should proceed mecahanically?

I want to be able to ask the right questions after a BMW dealership/service shop conducts a more detailed inspection. My mechanic and the BMW service reps that I've called all think that it is very possible that my engine is gone (which is a typical response because a rebuild is hard and not advised; easier and safer to replace an engine). But we wont know until they remove the head and look inside.

Insurance won't pay for a new engine and I won't accept anything less than 15k miles if they want to replace with a used engine. Morover, it is very hard to find replacement engines. And rebuilding this engine is apparently not advised.

I don't want my insurance to label as total loss because I won't be able to find another "dream" car with such low mileage. But I think that's what may happen if they can't save my engine...

Last edited by HotlantaM4F83; 08-06-2018 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Everyone should invest in the Turner or Fallline oil cooler protector. These cars are low and the oil cooler can't be in a more vulnerable spot which is a stupid design. Not saying these skid plates will eliminate all chances of damage but it will certainly help. The stock cover is just flimsy plastic so anything that hits it will bend it right into the oil cooler itself.

I went with the Turner version for three reasons. Price and the fact that it installs 100% like the stock panel without any modifications. Also because it does not lower the car anymore than it already is. The Fall line version is bulkier and users reported that it sits slightly lower than the stock trim. I didn't want to increase the chances actually hitting something so this was the reason i didn't get the Fall Line part.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 08-07-2018 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 5
2SNAILS2078.00
mpizutti599.50
AIRHEIR441.00
      08-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
HotlantaM4F83
Registered
Rep

Agreed and I will definitely get one of these aftermarket protectors assuming I still have a cooler and engine to protect...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Have you tried the highway department? I got reimbursed by the FL Turnpike system when the oil cooler in my 2015 F82 got mangled by something on the road. But it was just a new oil cooler and a couple of pieces of plastic, not a new engine. (I didn't lose oil / oil pressure.) Doubtful they will pay for a brand new engine, but maybe something to consider trying. Also, if traffic conditions made it unsafe to pull over right away, that might be a good way to frame an answer to the question about why you didn't stop right away when warnings came up.

If the engine is gone, I'd hope they total it rather than repairing it with anything other than a new engine. Sorry to hear - tough way to learn a lesson.
      08-06-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotlantaM4F83 View Post
Hey all. I'm a newbie with a 2015 M4 convertible that I bought used with only 8k miles. Basically, previous owner broke it in for me. I have driven it a lot and it now has 9,700 miles. Best car I've ever owned.

Sorry about the long message. Trying to give as much info to you in case you know what to do or have similar experience.

Found this forum because I was trying to see what the internet had to say about my problem, which apparently is common for these engines with oil coolers at the front of the engine and with crappy plastic OEM shields. While driving on highway, something in the road got kicked into my lane by another car ahead of me but merging into my lane from the right lane, to avoid debris from another accident. I could not swerve in time to avoid and had to drive over. Whatever it was punctured my oil cooler, resulting in very fast oil loss, resulting in engine shutting down after driving about 1 mile (I had finally found a place to stop). Didn't have time to see if I could swerve into other lanes before the incident bc it happened so fast. And didn't want to swerve without looking since my wife and 2 year old kid were in the car.

After wards, a few warning signals came up, including oil pressure loss and "stop carefully." I should have tried to stop immediately, but I didn't. How could driving less than 1 mile hurt? Apparently, everything.... Lesson learned.

After towing to my mechanic (not bmw dealership) with a tow truck with a dolly system (bc could not shift from parking to neutral to put on normal flatbed), my mechanic replaced the oil cooler, refilled with oil, and reset computer, but engine still won't start. He then ran a compression test and found no compression in cylinder No. 3.

I'll admit, I don't know anything engines, unless its a 4 cylinder 1998 Toyota 4Runner engine. Wondering if anyone on this board had any insights about saving my engine. If there is total loss of compression, then could it be something outside the cylinder (piston, valve, rings, etc...)? I ask because others have told me that if there is partial compression loss, then that means the cylinder is scraped/scored/damaged, and the engine is toast. But if total compression loss, then possible that I could save the engine? Anyone have this type of experience or have any thoughts on how I should proceed mecahanically?

I want to be able to ask the right questions after a BMW dealership/service shop conducts a more detailed inspection. My mechanic and the BMW service reps that I've called all think that it is very possible that my engine is gone (which is a typical response because a rebuild is hard and not advised; easier and safer to replace an engine). But we wont know until they remove the head and look inside.

Insurance won't pay for a new engine and I won't accept anything less than 15k miles if they want to replace with a used engine. Morover, it is very hard to find replacement engines. And rebuilding this engine is apparently not advised.

I don't want my insurance to label as total loss because I won't be able to find another "dream" car with such low mileage. But I think that's what may happen if they can't save my engine...
Rebuilding your damaged engine (transmission/ differential.... insert complex part here) will always be " not advised " by the dealer as dealers in the Y2K plus era are in the business of removal and replace more than Diagnose and repair.

It's also fairly likely that your dealer will balk at putting in a used motor for you as well (see reason above) even if you ( or your insurer )locates a used motor and brings it to them.. I imagine you likely will want to go to a local BMW independent shop for this repair.

As far as being picky about what your insurer may provide... most insurance contracts indicate the insurer will replace with like kind and quality.

Therefore a used 9000 mile motor that has expired due to a loss that is covered, would be replaced by... a used 9000 mile motor (if possible). Typically the insurer will endeavor to locate a used motor that has equal to or less than the loss vehicle and will use that as the basis for pricing for the repairs.

if you love the car... I would recommend going to an independent repair shop that can do work
1- that the dealer will not do
2- cheaper than the dealer

Keep in mind that if you want to, you can always go with a different repair option than the insured recommends , by paying the additional cost out of pocket... OR.. in the case of where you decide that it is easier to move on to another vehicle (when the insurer deems it repairable and not a total loss) you can take your insurance check over to the dealer and make your best deal on a new vehicle and trade yours in. Be wise and understand that the dealer cost to repair the item is NOT the same as your cost.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-06-2018 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
HotlantaM4F83
Registered
Rep

At RickFLM4: I haven't checked with the GA DOT yet. I suspect that they will want proof. I actually went back to the site a day after the incident to get photos to show my insurance but the debris was already gone. But will check with DOT anyways. Never know.

At M3 Adjuster: thanks for the tips. I will definitely follow your advice depending on what the dealer finds and what my insurer recommends. I'm transporting the car from my mechanic to a BMW dealership today, who will look at the engine. Then they will make a recommendation. Also, the only trustworthy source of any S55 engine (i.e. not ebay) is a remanufactured engine coming directly from BMW in Germany at +$25,000 (mileage unknown), not including labor. I think at that price, my insurer will deem it a total loss.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, I did not need to provide proof other than pictures of damage. I turned in a form that provided an account of what happened. It took a while to get a check, but they paid the full cost of damage.
      08-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

How about trying to argue with your insurance company that not being able to find a used motor means new motor is needed?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Good grief what a nightmare, best of luck OP!

Am I correct in my understanding that insurance companies are covering these oil cooler/blown motor horror stories?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Good grief what a nightmare, best of luck OP!

Am I correct in my understanding that insurance companies are covering these oil cooler/blown motor horror stories?
If you have full coverage and you have an impact with an object that causes engine damage, then, yes it will be covered.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17356.00
      08-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

I know you're attached to the car OP but I'd personally just accept the total loss and move onto another car.
      08-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #12
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
If you have full coverage and you have an impact with an object that causes engine damage, then, yes it will be covered.
Thanks, small consolation but definitely takes some of the worry out of this!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Everyone should invest in the Turner or Fallline oil cooler protector. These cars are low and the oil cooler can't be in a more vulnerable spot which is a stupid design. Not saying these skid plates will eliminate all chances of damage but it will certainly help. The stock cover is just flimsy plastic so anything that hits it will bend it right into the oil cooler itself.

I went with the Turner version for three reasons. Price and the fact that it installs 100% like the stock panel without any modifications. Also because it does not lower the car anymore than it already is. The Fall line version is bulkier and users reported that it sits slightly lower than the stock trim. I didn't want to increase the chances actually hitting something so this was the reason i didn't get the Fall Line part.

Alan
Getting the Fall Line installed next week. Funny thing that I saw this post the same day I made the appointment. I am lucky enough to have Fall Line's headquarters just a few miles away...
I have been pushing my luck way too long.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #14
mpizutti
2018 M3CS Pittsburgh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 528 , 2018 M3CS 2020 M8

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2016 bmw m2351  [0.00]
Quote:

Alan
do you have the part number for that
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #15
Benjamin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camry

This happened when the cars were very new. The guy had it covered somehow. I remember an outlandish amount to get a new long block. Lots of good photos if you can find the post.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #16
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpizutti View Post
do you have the part number for that
This is where I got mine... direct bolt on. Zero modification. Remove stock and install new using the same bolts.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...491tms01-02~a/
      08-09-2018, 02:30 AM   #17
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Sorry to the op.

This isn’t unique to the m3/m4 I saw same issues on x5’s from road debris

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #18
mpizutti
2018 M3CS Pittsburgh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 528 , 2018 M3CS 2020 M8

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2016 bmw m2351  [0.00]
Quote:
This is where I got mine... direct bolt on. Zero modification. Remove stock and install new using the same bolts.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...491tms01-02~a/
thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #19
HotlantaM4F83
Registered
Rep

This will be the last post from me regarding my M4 because insurance is going to deem it a total loss. Two master techs at the BMW dealership found compression loss in more than one cylinder and metal shavings in the oil after draining. Everyone I've talked to says not worth going into the engine to see where the metal is coming from and even so, no shop (including me) wants to rebuild it. Too much liability. Insurance does not want to pay $32K total for replacement ($23k for remanufactured engine) and I understand why not.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #20
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Honestly, I think that’s the best outcome to an unfortunate situation. You’ll find another car to replace it.
      08-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Bmw in general has gone so downhill. They put a half ass cost savings motor and a recycled e92 suspension yet they try cool a turbo engine that was a cheap wsy of avoiding developing a proper new m engine and they cant even get this right.should have taken the huge reported expense on developing the electric steering and put it towards a better engine development setup and stuck with hydraukic steering for 0.5 mpg ssvings. Silliness
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #22
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSY View Post
Bmw in general has gone so downhill. They put a half ass cost savings motor and a recycled e92 suspension yet they try cool a turbo engine that was a cheap wsy of avoiding developing a proper new m engine and they cant even get this right.should have taken the huge reported expense on developing the electric steering and put it towards a better engine development setup and stuck with hydraukic steering for 0.5 mpg ssvings. Silliness
What? So they were half ass because they didn't create a skid plate to protect your engine oil cooler from breaking when you hit an object on the road?

How would that meeting go exactly?

M Engineer 1: I think we should ensure that the engine can survive if one of our drivers hits an object on the road that they weren't supposed to.

M Engineer 2: * motioning to others * look at Hans over here trying to make a Panzer, want to go for another blitzkrieg huh?

Rest of the room:

M Engineer 1: Yeah guys my bad, maybe our drivers shouldnt run over things. I guess the 1 in 40,000 that has an engine failure is an acceptable risk, welp at least he should have insurance.

The End.

I get your frustration but this somehow devolved into a steering thread out of nowhere. I'm sorry you don't like this car as much as you wanted.

P.S. not trying to say the OP is an idiot or anything, accidents happen, but you cannot expect a company to one plan for every possible contingency including crazy ones and two companies weigh risk vs costs.

Don't @ me.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0