Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #1
Sanfordev
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Coupe DCT

Issues with failing SZL

Over the last few months I've been having problems with my steering wheel.

It started with an airbag malfunction alert. A few weeks later the heated steering went out. A few weeks later the horn, cruise control and all buttons / button backlighting died.

I spoke to a friend who is a BMW mechanic and he said it would be the SZL module as he replaces several a week with the same symptoms.

I purchased a used steering column clock spring steering angle module from a donor car with less than 40k. I installed it, factory vo coded, and calibrated the steering angle. All codes were gone and all was well for 4 days.

I turn on my car this afternoon and I'm greeted with a cruise control malfunction warning. After pressing OK, cruise control still functioned normally.

--

Is it just a coincidence that the replacement part is also going out, or could it be something else such as the steering wheel harness / buttons?

Has anyone dealt with this issue?
Appreciate 0