BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
DIY: Adding a better grocery bag hook to my M4 - UPDATED to add M3 installation

When we bought my wife's 2011 335is Coupe almost six years ago, we quickly discovered that there was no way to secure grocery bags. In her previous car, there was a huge net pouch that spanned the trunk opening and you could put a lot of groceries in there and they weren't going anywhere. Sure, BMW has a trunk net, and that's great for securing flat items or boxes, but not very good for groceries.

I searched for a solution and found this post on Bimmerpost from 2007 where someone mounted a pair of Audi/VW grocery bag hooks in the trunk of his 335i: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ocery+bag+hook. I bought a couple of the same hooks from ECS Tuning and installed them in her car. They've worked great for almost six years.

When I bought my M4, I discovered that BMW now included two grocery bag hooks, but they were pretty skimpy and flimsy, and they really only hold one bag each. So I knew that I had to install the same Audi bag hooks in my M4.

At ECS Tuning they offer a variety of Audi/VW bag hooks with widely varying prices depending on whether you order a set with screws or not (just search for "grocery bag hooks"). I used my own self-tapping sheet metal screws because the Audi screws won't work. I think that the Audi screws are designed to screw into pre-existing screw holes. Just get the hook without screws and buy a pouch of #8 x 3/4 in. pan head phillips head sheet metal screws at Home Depot.

Below are some pictures of the installation. The link posted above has most of the info you need, so I'm not really going to post a full DIY, except to mention some differences and suggestions.

Disclaimers:
  1. You're going to be drilling into the sheet metal of your upper trunk. If you're not comfortable with this, this DIY isn't for you.
  2. I did this on my M4. I don't know if the upper part, or "ceiling", of an M3 trunk is the same, but you'll have to determine whether this will work on your M3 or not.
Tools you'll need:
As shown in the original post, you need a drill, a 1/8" drill bit to drill the mounting holes, a phillips screwdriver, and a good light source. It's a good idea to put a towel down in the trunk so that you don't have to vacuum up the metal bits. Speaking of metal bits, wear safety glasses and try not to have your eyes directly under where you're going to drill!

To start, I folded both front seats forward and moved them as far forward as they would go. I folded down the rear seats and then crawled into the trunk from the passenger compartment and laid on my back on the folded down rear seats and the floor of the trunk. With a good light source you'll be able to see the irregular pattern on the trunk ceiling and where you might be able to mount the hook. (You'll also notice how sparsely this area is painted!) I moved the bag hook around, trying to find a spot where the hook would fit flat and be as close to the trunk opening as possible. The only spot that I thought would work was a spot on the right side, near the rear seat release handle. I pulled out the trunk light and it was pretty obvious that this space was hollow. Because of the irregular pattern on the trunk ceiling, I couldn't find a spot on the left side, allowing only one bag hook to be installed.

An awl and a hammer didn't really work to make a starting indentation, so I just held the bag hook in place while I drilled through the hole on one end. I mounted the screw on that end and held the bag hook in place while I drilled the second hole and then mounted the screw on that end. Pretty straightforward and simple.

(Edited to attach the photos since linking to them from my Google Photos account apparently didn't have the correct permissions to view.)

1. Here's the best spot on the right hand side of the trunk near the rear seat release. Notice the irregular ribbing on the ceiling of the trunk. These may look raised to you due to lighting, but they're actually indentations:

2. Positioning the hook:

3. First hole drilled:

4. Second hole drilled and hook mounted:

5. The hook in position from the rear of the car. (Note: in the post I linked to above, he has installed the bag hooks backwards. In VWs they are installed so that the hook folds up towards the back of the trunk and the cloth loop is towards the front which is how I installed them.) :

6. The hook in use. You can see the skimpy and flimsy stock bag hook to the right of the rear seat release:
Attached Images

Last edited by SD ///M4; 01-16-2019 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 5
      02-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
packet pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Nice DIY for sure, but it appears the Google Images you're using aren't set for 'anyone with the link can view' (since they're not appearing)...

e.g. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/To...-w1024-h768-no

...perhaps you could view this thread in an incognito window to see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Yep no pics!
      03-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet pilot View Post
Nice DIY for sure, but it appears the Google Images you're using aren't set for 'anyone with the link can view' (since they're not appearing)...

...perhaps you could view this thread in an incognito window to see what I mean.
Thanks for the heads up! I've posted hundreds of photos on different forums by linking them from my Google account when it was Picasaweb with no problem. It was very easy to share photos and you could even pick the image size.

I couldn't find any way to change permissions with the current version of Google Photos so I edited out the images and uploaded them as attachments.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
packet pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I've posted hundreds of photos on different forums by linking them from my Google account when it was Picasaweb with no problem. It was very easy to share photos and you could even pick the image size.

I couldn't find any way to change permissions with the current version of Google Photos so I edited out the images and uploaded them as attachments.
As a long-time Google fan (even moved to Mountain View 'for the fresh local produce'!), I hear you. Easiest way to achieve what you're after is to create a shared album with permissions to view for 'anyone with the link'... and then you can embed 'til your heart's content.

Nice write-up, even better with photos. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The M4 hooks are meant for those disposable flimsy nylon bags that some of us still use �� which in that case they can hold 2 or more! But for the recycling conscious your DIY is awesome
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
The M4 hooks are meant for those disposable flimsy nylon bags that some of us still use �� which in that case they can hold 2 or more! But for the recycling conscious your DIY is awesome
In California we passed a law that bans the plastic bags that the grocery stores would give out for free. Those cheap plastic bags will work OK on the stock hooks. Most people have now purchased bags more like the one pictured, with wider nylon/canvas straps, which don't work very well with the flimsy stock hooks. If you don't bring your own bag, another related law dictates that the store can charge you at least $0.10 for a slightly more durable, re-usable bag.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Now we are OT, here they charge 10c for the cheap nylon disposable bags I have 6 or so of the re-usable bags in my trunk and every time I forget them and end up buying more
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:09 AM   #9
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Anyone see the price of apples lately? Holy fack.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE: Added M3 installation

I finally got around to installing the grocery bag hooks in my wife's 2018 M3 so I've updated this thread with pictures of the installation in an M3.

In my original post I wrote "I did this on my M4. I don't know if the upper part, or "ceiling", of an M3 trunk is the same, but you'll have to determine whether this will work on your M3 or not."

Good news, I was able to mount two hooks in the M3! Because the stamping of the "ribs" on the trunk ceiling of the M3 is different than the M4, I was able to mount a hook on both the right and the left side of the trunk.

Installation is exactly the same as I originally posted. I didn't take a picture of the trunk ceiling before I installed the hooks, but here's pictures of the hooks installed:

1. Completed installation with grocery bags.

2. Grocery bag hook mounted on the left side of the trunk. It fits neatly between the seat back release and the trunk floor latch, which for some unknown reason doesn't come on the M3 but does come on the M4.

3. Grocery bag hook mounted on the right side of the trunk.
Attached Images

Last edited by SD ///M4; 01-14-2019 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #11
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Why haven’t I seen this earlier? This is such an awesome and useful DIY. Thanks for sharing.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      01-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Why haven’t I seen this earlier? This is such an awesome and useful DIY. Thanks for sharing.
It definitely makes the M3 a better "grocery getter"!

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
Blixem
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 e91 325xi

Great mod. I did this in our E90. Very helpful.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      02-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
I finally got around to installing the grocery bag hooks in my wife's 2018 M3 so I've updated this thread with pictures of the installation in an M3.
The Audi/VW hooks come with nuts and bolts, which would be hard to use in an M3. Looks like you simply used sheet metal screws? Based on your experience with your M4, do they hold up with usage over time?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I bought a couple of the same hooks from ECS Tuning and installed them in her car. They've worked great for almost six years.

At ECS Tuning they offer a variety of Audi/VW bag hooks with widely varying prices depending on whether you order a set with screws or not (just search for "grocery bag hooks"). I used my own self-tapping sheet metal screws because the Audi screws won't work. I think that the Audi screws are designed to screw into pre-existing screw holes. Just get the hook without screws and buy a pouch of #8 x 3/4 in. pan head phillips head sheet metal screws at Home Depot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
The Audi/VW hooks come with nuts and bolts, which would be hard to use in an M3. Looks like you simply used sheet metal screws? Based on your experience with your M4, do they hold up with usage over time?
They worked in my wife's 335is for over 7 years until we sold it in December. I removed the hooks and screws and re-installed them in her new M3 last month. The hooks in my M4 were installed 2 years ago. No reason why they won't work for years.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #16
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Rubber well-nuts work really well for this application.

I installed this on my old 135i With well nuts and it was perfect. They will hold tight and are easy to take on and off. Just drill the appropriate size hole for the one you buy.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #17
sgiorgianni
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

Any thoughts on using pop-rivets for a stronger install?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiorgianni View Post
Any thoughts on using pop-rivets for a stronger install?
I don't have any pop rivet tools and have never done pop riveting. The hooks were originally designed as a screw-in application for Audis/VWs and for hanging shopping bags. The shopping bags pictured actually touch the trunk floor; the hooks are mostly just for holding the bags in place so they don't slide around or tip over. The heaviest thing I've put in the bags is two gallons of milk, which weighs ~16#. The sheet metal screws that I used in my wife's 2011 335is Coupe lasted 7.5 years and I was able to easily remove them and move them to her 2018 M3.

I don't understand why you would need a stronger install. Are you planning on transporting dumbbells or bowling balls? If you need a stronger install I suggest metal hooks and weld them in place.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Just wanted to follow-up that I used rubber well-nuts, like I posted above. I got these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...re-bullets-btf

I used a #8-32 machine screw, which you can get at any hardware store. I used a 1 1/4" length, and it cleared fine, but 1" may work also.

The rubber well-nuts provide a seal, provide a rubber dampening for noise isolation, and will grip very well. Just drill the right size hole (~8mm or 5/16). I think it's a more elegant solution than sheet metal or self-tapping screws.

Tim
SD ///M42992.00
      03-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #20
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
Just wanted to follow-up that I used rubber well-nuts, like I posted above.
I used well-nuts also. They're strong and easy to install. The Audi grocery bag hooks can be purchased on eBay for about $8 (set of 2; obviously knockoffs, but they work well).
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 05:58 AM   #21
lukayui
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

I stumbled upon your post about adding a better grocery bag hook to your M4, and I have to say, it's a pretty interesting DIY project. It's always frustrating when you can't secure your groceries properly, especially in a sporty car like the 335is Coupe.
I was just curious, did you manage to find a solution that worked well for you? It's always great to hear about follow-ups on these topics.
But if you're looking to go green and make a positive impact on the environment, have you considered using paper grocery bags? They're a fantastic alternative to plastic bags and can be easily recycled. You might find some useful options at https://www.interplas.com/paper-grocery-bags

Last edited by lukayui; 06-20-2023 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 01:21 PM   #22
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

Great quality-of-life mod.

Did this on my wife's old E90. Forgot about it since and may want to do it to her F80 now.
Appreciate 0