Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Single mid-stock can VS single mid-MPE

Well in the quest for a bit more volume and better sound I switched from the stock can to the MPE......

Set-up was VRSF single mid mated to the stock 2015 can with modified exits into the large VRSF polished tips.

Set-up now is AA single mid mated to the BMW MPE with carbon tips

OK......I might have screwed up. So far one test drive and I feel the sound was deeper, louder with more pronounced burbles with the VRSF & stock can. The AA and MPE has a very different tone but not as loud which I find troubling. Since the can is empty I would have thought it would be wayyyyyyy lounder but i fine it is not. The stock can made the car sound like larger displacement and much more bass tone. I also thought the pops n bangs would be more pronounced with the MPE......

The AA pipe is nicely done, thicker walled tubing and the single mid is one welded piece. The VRSF is a little thinner and the single mid is two pieces. Which actually was kind of nice cuz I could rotate it and tuck the main tube up in the tunnel a bit more. Now the AA sticks down lower then the VRSF.

Anybody else on here do the same swap and if so what was your result.....

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 02-13-2024 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

For some reason i dont really like the MPE muffler's distinct tinny rumble/throaty tone.

I am also surprised its quieter than the stock muffler. I think i do understand what you are describing. Stock exhaust has a single deep bass tone. Maybe the deep bass tone penetrates the cabin better vs the MPE tone??? or does the MPE also sound lower from outside?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:32 PM   #3
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
OK......I might have screwed up. So far one test drive and I feel the sound was deeper, louder with more pronounced burbles with the VRSF & stock can. The AA and MPE has a very different tone but not as loud which I find troubling. Since the can is empty I would have thought it would be wayyyyyyy lounder but i fine it is not. The stock can made the car sound like larger displacement and much more bass tone. I also thought the pops n bangs would be more pronounced with the MPE......
Is the MPE muffler new or newish? On every single stock and aftermarket exhaust I've ever had, the mufflers took several thousand miles to break in after which they sounded much louder than when new or when just a couple thousand miles old. If you are comparing a stock muffler with 10K+ miles to a brand new MPE muffler or a low mileage MPE muffler, it wouldn't surprise me at all that the MPE sounds quieter.

When I switched from stock to my Remus exhaust at about 6K miles or so, the brand new Remus didn't seem much louder than stock even though the Remus had the secondary cats and resonators deleted. Of course, after about 5K miles on the Remus, it got noticeably louder.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:03 AM   #4
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
For some reason i dont really like the MPE muffler's distinct tinny rumble/throaty tone.

I am also surprised its quieter than the stock muffler. I think i do understand what you are describing. Stock exhaust has a single deep bass tone. Maybe the deep bass tone penetrates the cabin better vs the MPE tone??? or does the MPE also sound lower from outside?
Ah I think your on to something.....now I remember the Alfa Romeo 4C. I did a resonated short exhaust and the harmonic low bass sound in the cabin was unbearable. Gave me headaches on drives over an hr. I had to wear ear plugs until I straight piped it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Is the MPE muffler new or newish? On every single stock and aftermarket exhaust I've ever had, the mufflers took several thousand miles to break in after which they sounded much louder than when new or when just a couple thousand miles old. If you are comparing a stock muffler with 10K+ miles to a brand new MPE muffler or a low mileage MPE muffler, it wouldn't surprise me at all that the MPE sounds quieter.

When I switched from stock to my Remus exhaust at about 6K miles or so, the brand new Remus didn't seem much louder than stock even though the Remus had the secondary cats and resonators deleted. Of course, after about 5K miles on the Remus, it got noticeably louder.
The stock was the original can on my MY4/14 car with 33k on it so well aged and broken in. Te
he MPE is a support bracketed V1 with 5k on it but remember there is no baffling in the MPE to age and burn off. It is a hollow can with tubes so should be good right out of the box so to speak

Guess time will tell..... I will decide if I can live with it then sell the VRSF/stock set up
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:54 AM   #5
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

I started with AA mid / CS rear and added MPE.

Adding MPE for sure made it louder and more exotic tone, less bassy. I would not go back to stock rear.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
I started with AA mid / CS rear and added MPE.

Adding MPE for sure made it louder and more exotic tone, less bassy. I would not go back to stock rear.
And you felt it was a big improvement? What do you feel are the pro's and cons? Are you tuned? Appreciate your feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
And you felt it was a big improvement? What do you feel are the pro's and cons? Are you tuned? Appreciate your feedback
Id say it was a bigger change than just the mid pipe.

No cons other than price obviously but thats across all M exhausts not just MPE.

No tune but I have valve control. I would never add more burbles than this setup.

I think it sounds even better from outside. Can hear the different pitch much better with windows down.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0