Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
R1-Racer
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp X, TT Huracan

Replacing top strut mount - new unit has a different thread size?

In adjusting my car's suspension, we discovered one of the strut mounts had suffered a crack in the casting. I ordered a replacement and upon installing today, we find that the bolts needed for the new unit are a smaller diameter.

I knocked one of the nut inserts out of the old unit to try moving it over, but the size there too is different. Has anyone encountered this? Aside from this, the parts look identical.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
R1-Racer
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp X, TT Huracan

We went ahead and simply used some different bolts on this unit to try to get the car back on the road and immediately we see the aluminum brace that normally is flush is raised by approximately 2mm.

This seems to be because the strut mount is protruding through the frame more than on the right side.

(in the photo below, the strut mount is removed, but this brace is not flush when all is installed)

Edit: It seems the part we have now is an updated top mount, where we have to buy a replacement (updated) 'support ring' to make this fit. Rad.
Attached Images

Last edited by R1-Racer; 06-30-2018 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0