Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Is there really no "track up" function for the steering wheel?

Most of the time I'm listening to my music collection on random, and if a song comes on that I'm not in the mood for, I just skip to the next song. It seems there is no simple "track up" on the steering wheel, just the list of songs that comes up when you roll the scroll wheel. I can deal with it, but not quite what I want. Even better, is there a way to re-map the buttons through coding or something else? For me, it would be way more intuitive to have the scroll wheel do volume and the + and - buttons do track up/down.

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
woobiee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracr
Most of the time I'm listening to my music collection on random, and if a song comes on that I'm not in the mood for, I just skip to the next song. It seems there is no simple "track up" on the steering wheel, just the list of songs that comes up when you roll the scroll wheel. I can deal with it, but not quite what I want. Even better, is there a way to re-map the buttons through coding or something else? For me, it would be way more intuitive to have the scroll wheel do volume and the + and - buttons do track up/down.
I have the same complaint. It's annoying to reach all the way over to the next/previous buttons on the passenger side or use the idrive knob.
      12-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 IR F80

Roll the scroll wheel to browse through songs, and push the scroll wheel to select. Essentially the same thing as skip, no? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Yep what Krish_1 said. I just use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel skip a track.
      12-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Yeah, that works, but I'm used to just hitting next until I get to a song I want to hear (in random mode). Not the end of the world, I'll just have to get used to it. I've had the car exactly one day and am still familiarizing myself with all the controls.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Congrats on your new car, Yes that is annoying, but less so than the position of the volume controls, you probably haven't noticed it yet? Or you drove another car that had it similar to the F8x.
Your suggestion is on the ball, from an UI design, it makes sense to have a rotary wheel to change volume, and buttons to skip, but somehow BMW thought otherwise... I guess the scroll wheel is used for other things that need scrolling through a list, and that's faster than moving through a list one button click at a time.
Appreciate 0