EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-17-2016, 03:54 AM   #1
///Half_Baked
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4door/4wheels

Current mainentance plan value vs. the upcoming changes for MY2017?

Noob questions (please be gentle?)

I am new to this brand after years of Acura and Lexus ownership. The first time I laid eyes on the F80, I new I had to have it. Being new to the brand, I want to make sure I get this right. I am currently overseas, so military pricing is available. However, the maintenance plan enjoyed by stateside owners isn't available while overseas. Instead, a 2 yr unlimited mile warranty is in effect from the date of delivery. This cannot be extended. I'm not returning until late 2018. Furthermore, the maintenance plan will be drastically reduced for MY 2017. My plan initially was to wait until the MY17 was announced, then order. My unfamiliarity with the brand has left me wondering how brand veterans would value the extra year of coverage. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 04:31 AM   #2
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Is it BMW trying to save money? Yes. Do I loathe that since it hurts their customers? Yes

Will I keep buying BMWs? Yup
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 04:50 AM   #3
G1n Mast3r
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Individual F80 M3

While I can't comment on others warranty issues I can offer some advise. Since BMW will be cutting back not necessarily a large section but certainly a fair amount of the unlimited Maint Program for 2017, the big huge one is brakes will no longer be covered under warranty.

The other thing is OP are you planning on purchasing or leasing said vehicle at Military Pricing. Sorry I'm not familiar with how that all works. That being said, personally If won't be able to enjoy the car while it's under warranty or while overseas, I would just wait until for a 2017 allocation.

Even though brakes won't be apart of it among some other things I still think it's a great car.

I'm all for free portions of maint and warranty though lol.

But ultimately OP it's your decision on if you get a 2016 and get the last bit of warranty and maint on a 2017 or wait for 2017 when. yous the maint will be drastically reduced but you're also not taking a hit per se on the vehicle depreciating and you're not even enjoying driving it. Just my .02 though. Best of luck to you OP And thanks for serving our country
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Here's a great thread covering people's thoughts on the change:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212423

I have taken mercy on your noob-ness and provided the link rather than merging your thread in (at least for the time being ). Welcome to BimmerPost.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1n Mast3r
While I can't comment on others warranty issues I can offer some advise. Since BMW will be cutting back not necessarily a large section but certainly a fair amount of the unlimited Maint Program for 2017, the big huge one is brakes will no longer be covered under warranty.

The other thing is OP are you planning on purchasing or leasing said vehicle at Military Pricing. Sorry I'm not familiar with how that all works. That being said, personally If won't be able to enjoy the car while it's under warranty or while overseas, I would just wait until for a 2017 allocation.

Even though brakes won't be apart of it among some other things I still think it's a great car.

But ultimately OP it's your decision on if you get a 2016 and get the last bit of warranty and maint on a 2017 or wait for 2017 when. yous the maint will be drastically reduced but you're also not taking a hit per se on the vehicle depreciating and you're not even enjoying driving it. Just my .02 though. Best of luck to you OP And thanks for serving our country
It appears that brakes will no longer be part of the free maintenance - but they will still be covered under the warranty...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:27 AM   #6
///Half_Baked
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1n Mast3r View Post

Thanks for the input. I will be purchasing the vehicle and driving it in Europe and the UK for 2yrs. I don't believe a lease option is offered. I must experience the vehicle on the Autobahn . I guess I will align the purchase with my departure month to ensure full Euro warranty. coverage.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:32 AM   #7
///Half_Baked
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Here's a great thread covering people's thoughts on the change:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212423

I have taken mercy on your noob-ness and provided the link rather than merging your thread in (at least for the time being ). Welcome to BimmerPost.
Thanks for the mercy. I am new to forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:42 AM   #8
G1n Mast3r
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Half_Baked View Post
Thanks for the input. I will be purchasing the vehicle and driving it in Europe and the UK for 2yrs. I don't believe a lease option is offered. I must experience the vehicle on the Autobahn . I guess I will align the purchase with my departure month to ensure full Euro warranty. coverage.
I have a Love/Hate relationship with you. I wish I had the opportunity to enjoy this beast on the Autobahn.... Lucky you lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

For what it's worth, it is very uncommon for a part to operate successfully for 2 years/unlimited miles and yet fail between year 3 and 4 and say between 25,000-50,000 miles. It is even more uncommon for a failed part to be a major component. Usually most parts replaced under the warranty in years 3 and 4 are trim or minor things.

In regards to the maintenance package, just speaking for the f80, you will be losing out on a few pairs of wipers and a few oil changes and a rear diff fluid change. Considering M-oil is no longer $14 USD per liter, and doing your own oil changes are exceptionally easy on this car, I urge you to consider this a low value loss and DIY for these items. My oil changes, which I DIY at the 5k mile interval, are about $40-45 in parts and 20 minutes in personal labor.
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #10
///Half_Baked
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
For what it's worth, it is very uncommon for a part to operate successfully for 2 years/unlimited miles and yet fail between year 3 and 4 and say between 25,000-50,000 miles. It is even more uncommon for a failed part to be a major component. Usually most parts replaced under the warranty in years 3 and 4 are trim or minor things.

In regards to the maintenance package, just speaking for the f80, you will be losing out on a few pairs of wipers and a few oil changes and a rear diff fluid change. Considering M-oil is no longer $14 USD per liter, and doing your own oil changes are exceptionally easy on this car, I urge you to consider this a low value loss and DIY for these items. My oil changes, which I DIY at the 5k mile interval, are about $40-45 in parts and 20 minutes in personal labor.
Interesting timing on this post good sir! I have stumbled rather opportunistically across someone unloading a 6 month old MY15 M3 w/6000mi. I was in the process of building the exact same car (different color and adaptive M) when this one was listed. $58K. Options are DCT, 19's, Exec, enhanced bluetooth. My MY16 build was $68,400. Im thinking this is a no brainer, but was wondering how important adaptive is to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1n Mast3r View Post
I wish I had the opportunity to enjoy this beast on the Autobahn....
You have/had the same opportunity as anyone else in the US, Euro Delivery!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #12
G1n Mast3r
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I wish lol. I would have totally done it however I bought mine on CPO. I got it for a steal :P SO unfortunately I didn't get that chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #13
NavyBeeker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 SS/SS - 19SepED

So my understanding is that the U.S. bought cars (ED or non-ED) that are MY2016 will still have the 4-yr, 50K free maintenance... from BMWUSA site:

For model year 2015 or 2016 vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, the BMW Maintenance Program is provided for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. These maintenance programs cover all factory recommended maintenance as outlined in the vehicle's Service and Warranty Booklet. Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty—such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts—are included provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits. Any applicable adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included.

When do the MY2017 vehicle sales kick-in.... which changes the included maintenance? Might affect my purchase timing decision.... as I intend to keep the vehicle for 6-7 years at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1n Mast3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I wish lol. I would have totally done it however I bought mine on CPO. I got it for a steal :P SO unfortunately I didn't get that chance.
ED is something you absolutely must do if you are an enthusiast.

I've been a decent amount of places and that trip was probably top 3.
      03-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #15
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

We have never had brakes etc covered here in Canada. All we get the usual CBS items covered for 4 years.

I don't see what the big deal as I have never replaced brakes within the first 4 years of owing a car anyways or anything else that the USA maintenance program covers.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #16
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Half_Baked
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post

Interesting timing on this post good sir! I have stumbled rather opportunistically across someone unloading a 6 month old MY15 M3 w/6000mi. I was in the process of building the exact same car (different color and adaptive M) when this one was listed. $58K. Options are DCT, 19's, Exec, enhanced bluetooth. My MY16 build was $68,400. Im thinking this is a no brainer, but was wondering how important adaptive is to the M3.
Depending on what incentives you qualify for you may be able to get close to that price on an ordered car.

For example my MSRP was $70,795. The sales price was $63,910. Almost $7,000 off. That is close to the $10k difference in the one you are looking at. I'm guessing you won't need to pay tax on the used car so that is a big bonus there though.

Either way you will love the car!

Edit: I forgot to answer your question about the adaptive suspension! I would absolutely not get the car without it. I love it and flip between the three settings frequently on each drive. I love it!