Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-24-2017, 04:46 AM   #375
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I got the stage 3 about 5 weeks ago and have driven it over a thousand miles so far and this is what I can tell you. Out of 20 initial runs, 10 of those felt no different than stock. Some even felt like there was less power than stock. Another 8 of those runs felt like there was more power. 2 of those runs, it threw my head back into the seat, which has never happened before.

My first day at the track in NOLA with it, I had a misfire on cylinder 1 and 6 and the car went into limp mode until restarting it. Changed the gap on the plugs and haven’t had a misfire since, but even just taking it for some daily drives, I have found the same issue. Sometimes there is a notable increase in power and sometimes there is a noticeable lack of power. I should have had it dyno’d but the shop that did some work for me caused damaged to my car and I decided to not let them dyno it after that, but next time I am near a shop that does the dyno, I will have it done.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #376
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
So Dinan Stage 3 and BM3?
Only the hardware, disconnect the piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #377
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLATom View Post
I got the stage 3 about 5 weeks ago and have driven it over a thousand miles so far and this is what I can tell you. Out of 20 initial runs, 10 of those felt no different than stock. Some even felt like there was less power than stock. Another 8 of those runs felt like there was more power. 2 of those runs, it threw my head back into the seat, which has never happened before.

My first day at the track in NOLA with it, I had a misfire on cylinder 1 and 6 and the car went into limp mode until restarting it. Changed the gap on the plugs and haven’t had a misfire since, but even just taking it for some daily drives, I have found the same issue. Sometimes there is a notable increase in power and sometimes there is a noticeable lack of power. I should have had it dyno’d but the shop that did some work for me caused damaged to my car and I decided to not let them dyno it after that, but next time I am near a shop that does the dyno, I will have it done.
Damn that is a sad story. Seems like you have a very inconsistent piggy back tune, I was not expecting that from Dinan.

But their gains are so minimal, I can't believe they still get customers from S55 platform.

Their hardware on another hand is very good, that i would purchase, but never their tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #378
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:

Have you had a chance to retrieve fault code for what you are experiencing and contacted Dinan's tech department to get some type of input ?
Also, download the free phone app and make sure you are on the correct tune file.
Personally I know a few local S55's with the same setup as you, and I have not heard of an issue other then the cars are fast.
Hopefully you can get this intermittent issue resolved.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #379
F82ghost675
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Metallic white BMW m4

I have Dinan Stage 3, intake and exchange with aftermarket exhaust system and mod pipe. How much whp are you guys proposing out of your parts alone?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #380
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82ghost675 View Post
I have Dinan Stage 3, intake and exchange with aftermarket exhaust system and mod pipe. How much whp are you guys proposing out of your parts alone?
You probably got a healthy 10-15whp Power gain
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #381
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82ghost675 View Post
You probably got a healthy 10-15whp Power gain
You sure that's not crank!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #382
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

I posted this in another thread but also wanted to post it here, hopefully this will be beneficial to anybody who may be considering getting Dinan parts/tune.

Dyno chart: Stock, Stage 2, Stage 2 + CAI + Heat Exchanger.

Name:  41B7BC1F-71F6-4738-B3EB-4A5D4ECF65E1.jpeg
Views: 667
Size:  94.3 KB

I know I said earlier I am not interested in the heat exchanger .... I changed my mind, lol.

Bottom line: 450whp/513wtq, gains of 41whp/92wtq.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      01-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #383
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
I posted this in another thread but also wanted to post it here, hopefully this will be beneficial to anybody who may be considering getting Dinan parts/tune.

Dyno chart: Stock, Stage 2, Stage 2 + CAI + Heat Exchanger.

Attachment 1755716

I know I said earlier I am not interested in the heat exchanger .... I changed my mind, lol.

Bottom line: 450whp/513wtq, gains of 41whp/92wtq.
Don't be fooled by bottom and middle range difference. CAI and heat exchanger have nothing to do with them. The fact of exact same top end curve leads to something you wouldn't like to hear. My educated guess is ambient and/or vehicle operation condition difference is responsible for power gain at bottom and middle.
      01-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #384
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Don't be fooled by bottom and middle range difference. CAI and heat exchanger have nothing to do with them. The fact of exact same top end curve leads to something you wouldn't like to hear. My educated guess is ambient and/or vehicle operation condition difference is responsible for power gain at bottom and middle.
Perhaps, ...., same dyno, very similar ambient conditions, either way I am just pasting dyno results for a Stage 2 tune with CAI + HE.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #385
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4 w/Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Perhaps, ...., same dyno, very similar ambient conditions, either way I am just pasting dyno results for a Stage 2 tune with CAI + HE.
was the dyno the same day , and same person operating it?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #386
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4282 View Post
was the dyno the same day , and same person operating it?
Stock and Stage 2 were back-to-back, Stage 2 + CAI + HE was on a different day, everything else the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #387
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Not hard to spot the Dinan haters, seems that nobody questions 'gains' on other tunes but Dinan's.... Don't be fooled by the criticisms, my educated guess is that the competition sees $$ going out of their pockets every time there's a good Dinan review... ( I have no idea why I feel compelled to defend Dinan but it pisses me off when the conversation turns nasty whenever Dinan is supported.) Yes, ambient temp, time between tests and a number of other independent variables should be accounted for in any findings....good questions.
PS I have the Dinan thrust arm bearings, but nothing else...
Thanks for posting the results, and maintaining a detached perspective, the 'pole sitters' appreciate it! The 'mixed' review of the stage 3 is more puzzling and a bit disturbing....it makes no sense unless there is a vehicle problem.

Last edited by Ilikemike; 01-29-2018 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #388
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
Not hard to spot the Dinan haters, seems that nobody questions 'gains' on other tunes but Dinan's.... Don't be fooled by the criticisms, my educated guess is that the competition sees $$ going out of their pockets every time there's a good Dinan review... ( I have no idea why I feel compelled to defend Dinan but it pisses me off when the conversation turns nasty whenever Dinan is supported.) Yes, ambient temp, time between tests and a number of other independent variables should be accounted for in any findings....good questions.
PS I have the Dinan thrust arm bearings, but nothing else...
Thanks for posting the results, and maintaining a detached perspective, the 'pole sitters' appreciate it! The 'mixed' review of the stage 3 is more puzzling and a bit disturbing....it makes no sense unless there is a vehicle problem.
Unfortunately since my feedback on Dinan stage 3 I have had issues. I have posted it in another thread to see if I am the only one. At least one other person has had the same issues as me, which is misfires after the Dinan stage 3 install. Dinan is the only work I have done to the car, so I can say with some certainty that it is Dinan related as the problem did not exist before the tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #389
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep

I view my posts on this specific topic as an opportunity to share my unbiased perspective and experince. Hopefully, this will help other members make a more informed decision when deciding which path to take when tuning their M’s. In a nutshell, Stage 2 + HE gives you 40whp and 90wtq, the CAI are a noise box that did not give me any gains. I have a dyno pre/post the CAI and please dont ask me if I had that done the same day I had those installed . I highly recommend the Stage 2 + HE or just the Stage 2 tune if you are concerned about having/keeping a warranty. If warranty is not a consideration that plays a key role in your decision making process, get whichever other tune meets your specific needs (JB4, BootMod3, Gintani, etc.) .
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      01-30-2018, 03:51 AM   #390
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
Unfortunately since my feedback on Dinan stage 3 I have had issues. I have posted it in another thread to see if I am the only one. At least one other person has had the same issues as me, which is misfires after the Dinan stage 3 install. Dinan is the only work I have done to the car, so I can say with some certainty that it is Dinan related as the problem did not exist before the tune.
Puzzling.
Any word from Dinan?
Of course it could be a manufacturing problem (pretty rare though based on others complaints) or an interaction between unknown elements (manufacturing variance and/or wear and tear in your car AND the Dinan kit) or all of the above. Thanks, and continue to keep us up date!

Last edited by Ilikemike; 01-30-2018 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0