proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #89
grundlehunter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeM4 View Post
Sure, it is a defect...But this part was bought USED. Wanna play? Go cheap? This is what happens. No responsibility for BMW here. If you want BMW warranty buy from BMW.

No need for name calling or

Just my opinion.

How many need to crack, in your opinion, before BMW recognizes that whether bought new used or otherwise the problem is a defect in manufacturing and not abuse or neglect by end user.

For example.. If 2 million people bought used Toyota Corollas. And all 2 million of those Toyota Corollas had the exact same issue, would your opinion be "You bought cheap, and used, no need to warranty". Or would there be some word for this problem.. maybe "recall" comes to mind.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #90
grundlehunter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Too hypothetical, I stand by my previous statements. Don't agree? Move along
Can't challenge your conviction, that's for sure.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #91
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Im not the one who bought a used part and now has a problem.
No shit but you come on here and state some obvious bullshit to what end? Prove that you're idiot? If so job well done playboy.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #92
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

TypeM4,
So what is your opinion in my case, I purchased a 2nd hand M4 that came with the exhaust. Does that classify as used and cheap? The car had 11,600 and in no way was cheap
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #93
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
TypeM4,
So what is your opinion in my case, I purchased a 2nd hand M4 that came with the exhaust. Does that classify as used and cheap? The car had 11,600 and in no way was cheap
No, you are putting words in my mouth. If your car came with factory installed MPE (bought used or not) it should be covered under warranty. Maybe I should rephrase? I don't believe BMW is responsible for used non-factory installed MPE with no BMW receipt.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the OP or any other members. I sure the answer is in the warranty manual for the car or the part one.

I hope BMW takes care of the OP!!! I just don't think they are the evil empire if they refuse.

Last edited by Fake News 2017; 02-01-2017 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #94
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

The people that are affected by this cracked exhaust have you noticed a change in sound or any irregular vibrations? I'm just curious if this hairline crack we are seeing is even causing any real problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:29 AM   #95
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
The people that are affected by this cracked exhaust have you noticed a change in sound or any irregular vibrations? I'm just curious if this hairline crack we are seeing is even causing any real problems.
Yes I had a cracked MPE before. The sound is less deep. The difference was very obvious!
      02-02-2017, 07:01 AM   #96
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, you are putting words in my mouth. If your car came with factory installed MPE (bought used or not) it should be covered under warranty. Maybe I should rephrase? I don't believe BMW is responsible for used non-factory installed MPE with no BMW receipt.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the OP or any other members. I sure the answer is in the warranty manual for the car or the part one.

I hope BMW takes care of the OP!!! I just don't think they are the evil empire if they refuse.
Sir,
I am not attempting to put words in your mouth but your clarification helped. My question was very much directed towards the “receipt” comment. There are many out there that might not have receipts when they purchase a car 2nd hand. So then does that mean they do not have warranty coverage?

That is a very grey area and must have more supporting facts. So then you would resort to trying to find out thru history if it was a legitimate purchase or from the so called used market. In my case I purchased the car which had it on there and without documentation so I have no idea when or where it came from.

It is not on the build sheet so If BMWUSA turns down the repair and my car is still in its warranty then I will inquire deeper with the dealer on when and where it was installed. If it turns out the owner did not go thru BMW then I am screwed and will accept that but just saying “no receipt” is really not an accurate statement.

I am not an argument started or flamer just like facts to be stated and there are many on here with much less experience with BMW. I do appreciate your feedback
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #97
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
Yes I had a cracked MPE before. The sound is less deep. The difference was very obvious!
I have noticed much change in overall tone but it is really different on cold start up. Resonates and vibrates a lot..... might be other things just have not noticed them
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #98
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Damn You!! ...this thread has gotten me super paranoid now. Gotta check mine first thing since mine is second hand too... and i did notice a change in tone on mine. Urghhh

Does anyone know the cost to weld?? Sounds like less of a headache than dealing with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #99
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Im not the one who bought a used part and now has a problem.
I bought mine new from the dealer and had it dealer installed. It is also starting to show cracks, so chill a bit...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #100
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Sure, it is a defect...But this part was bought USED. Wanna play? Go cheap? This is what happens. No responsibility for BMW here. If you want BMW warranty buy from BMW.

No need for name calling or

Just my opinion.
So if someone buys a 2 year old used M3, they went cheap and if something goes wrong with the car, BMW is not responsible since they bought a used car

Your logic is baffling

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #101
f80er
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
No shit but you come on here and state some obvious bullshit to what end? Prove that you're idiot? If so job well done playboy.
I'm not the one cursing and making insults trying to prove I'm right.
Just an opinion, no one said you have to agree with it
Calm down, Geez
Just my opinion of you. Don't like it move along.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #102
f80er
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
Damn You!! ...this thread has gotten me super paranoid now. Gotta check mine first thing since mine is second hand too... and i did notice a change in tone on mine. Urghhh

Does anyone know the cost to weld?? Sounds like less of a headache than dealing with BMW.
I paid $150 to have mine welded.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #103
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post

Like I mentioned earlier....I checked really good less than 4 months ago and it looked fine, wiped with cleaner to get a good look and did not notice any cracking then I went to source a suspension noise and looked up at the can since it had black all over the one side and boom there it was. If I get turned down I will look into getting it welded but then will the other side do the same thing?

There we go, lets start a poll.....those that have had it crack lets post which side it cracked on

*Crack on drivers side*

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 02-05-2017 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #104
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I bought mine new from the dealer and had it dealer installed. It is also starting to show cracks, so chill a bit...
I am chill, not my problem as I don't have MPE. I was responding to another member who attacked because I didn't agree with him.

Glad you went the safe route, is BMW covering your repair or replacement?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #105
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I am chill, not my problem as I don't have MPE. I was responding to another member who attacked because I didn't agree with him.

Glad you went the safe route, is BMW covering your repair or replacement?
I am waiting for my next service in spring to declare it. It only has very light cracks.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #106
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
No, I wasn't talking about the whole car!!! MPE ONLY!!!
Of course a pre-owned cars warranty should be honored and there is nothing wrong with buying them that way.

I'll even retract the word "cheap" if it makes others happy and stop the protest on my lawn

The OP tried to save money buying used MPE and got burned. If he would have bought from BMW it would have cost more money but he would be covered by warranty.
IMO any OEM part that is covered under warranty for the original owner should continue to be covered for future owners for the life of the warranty no matter how many hands it changes. I don't see why that should be an issue for BMW. If the exhaust is warrantied for 2 years then cover the damn thing for 2 years. Why should it matter if it's the second owner or the third. Just my opinion.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #107
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
I paid $150 to have mine welded.
can you comment on if this fixed any sound or vibration issues, if you even experienced anything like that prior to the weld job?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 07:47 AM   #108
f80er
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
can you comment on if this fixed any sound or vibration issues, if you even experienced anything like that prior to the weld job?
No I can't. I bought it cracked (unknown to me) So I never had it on my car prior to having it fixed.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #109
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
I would call bmw and raise hell.. did you buy from a dealer? even if you are third owner bmw dealer sells you car with bmw oem part on it they should have the ability to goodwill it or warranty it... my .02
Thanks Jeff I'm trying. Dropped car back off at Classic BMW today for them to try again. When I inquired about getting a regional reps info for BMW the CA that I work with offered to try and take it up the ladder further. I told him I wasn't looking to throw him under the bus or anything, my gripe isn't with him. He said they won't help with this because I can't produce a receipt. I said bottom line is the car isn't even on the road full 2 calendar years yet even. The exhaust is less than two years old and is obviously a BMW OEM part. I did mention this thread and even showed it to him and some of the responses. This is a known defect and many are being replaced. I understand I have no receipt but it's a technicality to me from my perspective. Car has less than 14k on it and honestly is a garage queen, is not driven often. CA said talking to reps and moving up the ladder is his job and I think he was nervous about me saying something bad about his service so he offered to try again, harder this time I guess So we've come full circle now to dropped the car off today and he's going to see what he can do. Told him I'm not picking it up until it has a new MPE on it just busting his balls. He's actually a nice kid and I've spent a fortune in service for my wife's 335i at this dealership so I've "earned" it I think. I always go with their recommended service and they have been good to me with out of warranty items before so I'm not going to knock the dealership or the CA. This is a smaller BMW dealership so I'm sure they don't have the pull of larger dealerships around the nation but enthusiasts especially need help when there is a problem. We are a big part of driving the marque forward figuratively and literally no?
Just remember no receipt = no reimbursement from BMWNA. So the dealer has to decide if they want to eat approx $4k to make you happy.

I suspect a previous owner bought it cheap because it was dropped at some point.

Is the car CPO? Does this fall under CPO warranty?
OP went the cheap route and lost. Buy used parts and take your chances. BMW HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY HERE. Played the game and lost, buy OEM or suck it up.
I didn't go the cheapest route that s exhaust came with my car which was used. I didn't purchase the exhaust myself
      02-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #110
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
TypeM4,

BMW is not taking care of the OP here. No receipt no replacement is final word on my car. I purchased the car with 6k mileage with exhaust on it. Noticed the crack at 10k miles after it was pointed out to me by mechanic at a private shop. This is when I approached my local dealership about replacement. We went around a couple times with it back and forth in the dealership service department. In the end they declined replacement because of the cost I'm sure. The CA was shocked at the cost of it new, obviously he had not sold one before. I think based on that and the technicality of no receipt, they exercised their right to decline me replacement. Definitely a manufacturer defect with everyone seeing these in similar areas it seems like BMW should recall these and make the necessary design/build modifications needed to eliminate this problem. When it's systemic with many people eventually you would think BMW would step up and admit there is a problem with these MP exhausts