ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

08-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Yeah, the Bugatti Veyron has a dual clutch tranny so high TQ and HP should not be an issue for this technology. They are not cheap though, the M3's will run you a cool $14k to replace which is a bargain compared to the Veyron's Ricardo box at $120k...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #24
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Yeah, the Bugatti Veyron has a dual clutch tranny so high TQ and HP should not be an issue for this technology. They are not cheap though, the M3's will run you a cool $14k to replace which is a bargain compared to the Veyron's Ricardo box at $120k...
Not sure mentioning anything on a Veyron in the context of a regular production vehicle means too much It probably has the same haldex controller as a Ford Taurus, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Not sure mentioning anything on a Veyron in the context of a regular production vehicle means too much It probably has the same haldex controller as a Ford Taurus, right?
I'll be back in a minute. Going down to the garage to check the haldex controller on my Veyron.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #26
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

wow, are we really talking about wanting a torque converter in the new one? Holey snarkies...officially jumped the shark.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
One thing that hasn't been pointed out is that DCT's tend to have lower torque/HP ratings. Audi (who are pretty anti manual) use the ZF slushboxes on their top of the line models like S7, S8, RS6, RS7 (I could be wrong on some of those).

Edit - just realized the M5 uses a DCT, so torque limits of Audi S-tronic is probably more that their DCT's aren't as capable as the M-DCT.
Yeah, and as a follow-on to your edit regarding the M5, Audi does offer the DSG transmission for the RS6 and RS7 - just not in the US. The lower output engines in the S6 and S7 obviously can be mated to the DCT no problem then (and it is offered in the US in those cases I believe). I'm sure the A8 V8 and S8 could be offered that way too given they have basically the same engine output as those others respectively, but I don't know if Audi sells them in that configuration anywhere or not.

By the way, to the guy who asked about the ZF, keep in mind that the transmission technologies being compared really boil down to torque converter vs dual hydraulic wet clutch (dry clutch setup is used in non-performance applications, however), and planetary gear sets with torque bands and integral clutch packs vs. step down helical gear trains with dog gears and synchros.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #28
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
By the way, to the guy who asked about the ZF, keep in mind that the transmission technologies being compared really boil down to torque converter vs dual hydraulic wet clutch (dry clutch setup is used in non-performance applications, however), and planetary gear sets with torque bands and integral clutch packs vs. step down helical gear trains with dog gears and synchros.
So in your opinion, what would be the advantages/disadvantages between these transmissions aside from the actual coupling between flywheel and transmission (i.e. torque converter vs dual clutch)? I know this isn't the most well defined question, but it seems everyone has a pretty good handle on drivability differences between torque converters and "manual" style clutch based transmissions.

One issue I see is reliability of the DCT mechatronic unit, which must physically perform the same function as the shift lever. I feel fine about the clutchpack wear/tear, but the mechatronic unit is worrisome...although could be because I have an Audi which can have this problem
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #29
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So in your opinion, what would be the advantages/disadvantages between these transmissions aside from the actual coupling between flywheel and transmission...
Well, a compound planetary gearset as employed in an autmatic transmission requires several clutches and brake bands to engage the desired drive gear and disengage the current one. The process is somewhat complex, hence why you don't see planetary gearsets used in a purely manual transmission. It could be done but the mechanical linkage required to do so would be involved. Also, traditionally these mechanics were slow to activate, but that has been addressed in recent years.

A DCT on the other hand works much like a manual transmission except that it has two lay shafts and two concentric clutches. So the shift action is simple by comparison. This is especially the case if the computer correctly guesses the next gear (which is usually the case because gears typically get selected in order) since it will already be engaged on the other shaft. All the computer needs to do is open one clutch and close the other which happens very quickly and simultaneously via hydraulic pressure.

The DCT has the disadvantage of not scaling as well. Adding more gears requires adding more length to the transmission. This is somewhat true in a planetary box too but you can add by using more compound carriers or by adding an additional compound gearset. So you can pack more ratios into a smaller space.

An ideal transmission might use the pest parts of each - multiple concentric clutches driving multiple planet carriers in a massively compound planetary gear assembly. I suppose it would face durability and packaging issues as well as high internal friction. But it would be able to select any gear almost instantly, at least in theory. I guess that would require a very sophisticated set of hydraulic clutches to achieve too.

Quote:
One issue I see is reliability of the DCT mechatronic unit, which must physically perform the same function as the shift lever. I feel fine about the clutchpack wear/tear, but the mechatronic unit is worrisome...although could be because I have an Audi which can have this problem
The Getrag in my M3 has been reliable do far (80k miles). I do sometimes worry about this supposed lifetime fluid though. I guess VAG uses BorgWarner design and components. I think BMW actually uses their control module too but probably the mechanical parts are all Getrag.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #30
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman Murch View Post
I thought the new M3/M4 would have an 8 speed M-DCT. And down the road offer a 7-gear manual.
Let's hope not a 7-speed manual... Porsche's attempt at a 7-speed manual has been voted one of the worst transmission ideas in auto history...
How so? I mean is it the 7th gear that makes it bad somehow or is it that the whole box is crap?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, and as a follow-on to your edit regarding the M5, Audi does offer the DSG transmission for the RS6 and RS7 - just not in the US.
Are you sure about this? I don't see the RS6 or RS7 available with the DCT, looks like slushbox only. Which specific market are you talking about?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, a compound planetary gearset as employed in an autmatic transmission requires several clutches and brake bands to engage the desired drive gear and disengage the current one. The process is somewhat complex, hence why you don't see planetary gearsets used in a purely manual transmission. It could be done but the mechanical linkage required to do so would be involved. Also, traditionally these mechanics were slow to activate, but that has been addressed in recent years.

A DCT on the other hand works much like a manual transmission except that it has two lay shafts and two concentric clutches. So the shift action is simple by comparison. This is especially the case if the computer correctly guesses the next gear (which is usually the case because gears typically get selected in order) since it will already be engaged on the other shaft. All the computer needs to do is open one clutch and close the other which happens very quickly and simultaneously via hydraulic pressure.

The DCT has the disadvantage of not scaling as well. Adding more gears requires adding more length to the transmission. This is somewhat true in a planetary box too but you can add by using more compound carriers or by adding an additional compound gearset. So you can pack more ratios into a smaller space.

An ideal transmission might use the pest parts of each - multiple concentric clutches driving multiple planet carriers in a massively compound planetary gear assembly. I suppose it would face durability and packaging issues as well as high internal friction. But it would be able to select any gear almost instantly, at least in theory. I guess that would require a very sophisticated set of hydraulic clutches to achieve too.

The Getrag in my M3 has been reliable do far (80k miles). I do sometimes worry about this supposed lifetime fluid though. I guess VAG uses BorgWarner design and components. I think BMW actually uses their control module too but probably the mechanical parts are all Getrag.
Thanks for the response, was very interesting and looks like lots of stuff a non-ME like myself needs to read up on
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #33
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
How so? I mean is it the 7th gear that makes it bad somehow or is it that the whole box is crap?
From what I have read the reviewers seem to hate the added complexity for no additional benefit.
They did the 7 speed box to help meet/beat fuel consumption regulations, that's all. Ultra long 7th gear for the bulk of the consumption test.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #34
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure about this? I don't see the RS6 or RS7 available with the DCT, looks like slushbox only. Which specific market are you talking about?
You know what, I thought that I had read that in a review but I can't find a trace of it anywhere so It was either edited or I just got confused. My apologies.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #35
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
So in your opinion, what would be the advantages/disadvantages between these transmissions aside from the actual coupling between flywheel and transmission (i.e. torque converter vs dual clutch)? I know this isn't the most well defined question, but it seems everyone has a pretty good handle on drivability differences between torque converters and "manual" style clutch based transmissions.

Don't forget, the ZF8HP has a clutch that disengages the TC, so is not a true slush box. In the past max RPM has been limited by the TC, now with clutch bypass, this is not as big an issue.

I can see auto's coming out in the future with no TC at all. All it is doing now is controlling torque transfer during pull off, and slight slip during gear changes (however when in manual Sport+ mode a ZF kicks almost like a DCT in mode 3). These functions can be carried out by better clutch mechatronics.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #36
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

DCT vs. ZF8?

I posted here because I don't know how the DCT is improved in the E80/E82. There seems to be a consensus that the 7 speed DCT is better than the ZF 8 speed. Well, it's certainly a lot more exclusive in the BMW lineup, but what makes it objectively better? I'm looking for measurable like shift times, power loss, etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #37
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Could be anything. More heft with another gear, packaging, smaller gears can't take the torque etc. Imo 7 gears is plenty.
      05-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #38
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
I posted here because I don't know how the DCT is improved in the E80/E82. There seems to be a consensus that the 7 speed DCT is better than the ZF 8 speed. Well, it's certainly a lot more exclusive in the BMW lineup, but what makes it objectively better? I'm looking for measurable like shift times, power loss, etc..
Dual clutch versus single. I'd say the biggest advantage is the speed of shifting the dct has over the regular auto. The DCT is one of the best out there.

No knock on the ZF8 though, that is a fantastic transmission in it's own right, but a dct it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #39
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

I am not sure about shift time as both are extremely quick.
However, you can feel clutch engaging to selected gear with DCT when you do manual up/downshift.
With ZF, there is some disconnected feeling when it comes to this.
ZF feels somewhat artificial in this area.
This is the primary reason why I only buy cars with DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #40
Johnmd
Banned
Rep
Drives: CLS AMG

No torque converter!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #41
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmd View Post
No torque converter!
/thread

we can all go home now!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #42
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmd View Post
No torque converter!
^This

The direct connection between engine and drive wheels is the main benefit. A regular automatic can be programmed to shift extremely fast, but the power still needs to be transmitted through the torque converter.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #43
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Good grief...

That's the sum of the objective knowledge here?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #44
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
/thread

we can all go home now!
Yea Torque converter is a no go, thing create heavy rotating mass as well. ZF 8 is not as fast as DCT when shifting at high RPMs from my experience
Closed Thread