Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

6MT Slight Transmission Movement on Track

I took my new F80 M3 to the track for the first time over the weekend and loved it, very happy with the purchase overall!

One thing I noticed is that the transmission moves slightly coming out of turns and that occasionally makes it difficult to find the next gear. For example, if I am in second gear and need to shift to third mid-turn, third isn't always where I expect it to be. Not a big deal but this will occasionally slow my shift down as I have to "try again" to find third. I had this same issue on an Audi S4 a few years back and it was easily remedied by a transmission mount insert that better secured the transmission in relation to the shifter. Has anyone else experienced this? Curious if the remedy is more rigid transmission mounts or if there is another option. The insert for my Audi gave little to no additional NVH whereas my experience with transmission mounts on my e92 m3 is that they tend to create significant additional NVH, would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
      09-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Perhaps this is what I am looking for, anyone have experience with this part?

Turner Polyurethane Rear Shifter Bushing
      09-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Not to question your driving ability, as you maybe way better than me, but I can only think of one place in all of the tracks I frequent that I need to shift in "a corner", and to be honest it is more of a kink than a traditional turn. Lifting and throwing in the clutch mid corner is a recipe for disaster in most cases.

So although stiffer transmission mounts may help, I think just carrying a different gear into the corner so you do not have to up shift makes a lot more sense.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      09-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Not to question your driving ability, as you maybe way better than me, but I can only think of one place in all of the tracks I frequent that I need to shift in "a corner", and to be honest it is more of a kink than a traditional turn. Lifting and throwing in the clutch mid corner is a recipe for disaster in most cases.

So although stiffer transmission mounts may help, I think just carrying a different gear into the corner so you do not have to up shift makes a lot more sense.
Thoughts appreciated. Just for clarity this is only an issue coming out of a turn where the car is still partially loaded on the exit as you are accelerating out. I could just stay in third through this type of turn but feel there would be a penalty in doing so. There are only two turns that cause this issue at my local track so maybe this is not super common.
      09-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Shifting during a turn is sometimes necessary. Especially in traffic or altered race line situations. Yes, it can lead to disaster if you don’t how to drive.

I’m having this issue in a couple of spots in the 991.1 Porsche I just traded my M4 in for. They make an insert for the trans mounts that I’ll be getting. I think on the M4 I’d would just leave it in a higher gear and use the massive torque to pull through. Can’t do that in the NA Porsche, it’s dead below 5000 rpms.

In my E36 race car, I have solid motor and diff mounts. Poly trans mounts. Its almost a necessity to switch them out in those cars. Good luck with getting it sorted out.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      09-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Interesting. It sounds like your engine/tranny combo are flopping around instead of controlling the movement.

I don't track the E92 anymore but have tracked it heavily and not had issues with the stock engine/tranny mounts in terms of not being able to shift as you describe.

The F80 must generate some more lateral grip than the E92 stock, but I've used R1 tires on the E92 with MCS 2WNR (700/1000 springs) and seen 1.58g on the performance steering wheel and still not had that issue.

I have the AutoSolutions SSK on the E92 since the beginning though so that introduces a variable into the equation. I would put it on the F80 without thinking twice.
When I did the install I saw the mechanism. It's almost identical between the F80 and E92, so I see where the Turner bushing goes.

I see two possibilities:
1) The issues is caused by the engine and tranny flopping around. In that case you will need stiffer engine/tranny mounts. BW has the customizable (powerflex?) engine mounts that allow you to vary their stiffness to suit your NHV limits. At least get the stiffer engine mounts
2) The issue is the stock shift linkage and that is what is moving around. In that case the AS+Turner will fix it

I might proceed with 2), only because that is the only difference between your F80 and my E92 and the E92 has zero shift issues. I can send a vid link where I'm running slicks.

For the record I do not have the Turner piece in my car.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      01-14-2019, 01:34 AM   #7
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
I took my new F80 M3 to the track for the first time over the weekend and loved it, very happy with the purchase overall!

One thing I noticed is that the transmission moves slightly coming out of turns and that occasionally makes it difficult to find the next gear. For example, if I am in second gear and need to shift to third mid-turn, third isn't always where I expect it to be. Not a big deal but this will occasionally slow my shift down as I have to "try again" to find third. I had this same issue on an Audi S4 a few years back and it was easily remedied by a transmission mount insert that better secured the transmission in relation to the shifter. Has anyone else experienced this? Curious if the remedy is more rigid transmission mounts or if there is another option. The insert for my Audi gave little to no additional NVH whereas my experience with transmission mounts on my e92 m3 is that they tend to create significant additional NVH, would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I actually have this issue too, usually at track or aggressive canyon driving.
Only way to avoid this is to not shift while turning but sometimes it’s necesaary.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Perhaps this is what I am looking for, anyone have experience with this part?

Turner Polyurethane Rear Shifter Bushing
Has anyone tried and found this ⬆️ helpful in reducing difficulty with shifting while under braking or turning loads?
Appreciate 0