R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Hotchkis Sway Bars

Hey,

Has anyone any experience with Hotchkis Sway Bars?

-> https://www.hotchkis.net/product/bmw...md=23993&sm=20

* Tubular (Hollow) - Hollow
* Front & Rear Materials - Mild Steel
* Front & Rear Dimensions (diameter/round) - 1 ¼ Front and 1 Rear(31.75mm - Front / 25.4mm - Rear)
* Front & Rear Weights - (TBD)?
* Included - 4 Polyurethane Bushings, 4 Brackets w/ Grease Fittings

Any additional Info.?

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

I used them on my E46 track car, definitely saved some weight and adjustability was nice but also greatly changed the handling to where I had to remove the rear bar to get rid of understeer, but once again that was on an E46 M3.
Appreciate 1
Dr._Who124.50
      02-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
I used them on my E46 track car, definitely saved some weight and adjustability was nice but also greatly changed the handling to where I had to remove the rear bar to get rid of understeer, but once again that was on an E46 M3.
Hey,

Thanks for the response!

I'm new to this so bear with me...

Was there too much understeer and you "had to remove the rear bar" because it was too soft or was it because it was too stiff??

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr._Who; 03-09-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Quote:
Hey,

Thanks for the response!

I'm new to this so bear with me...

Was there too much understeer and you "had to remove the rear bar" because it was too soft or was it because it was too stiff??

Cheers!

Sorry for the long response time. So basically I was experiencing understeer in my car (E46 not F80) and all the set up sheets/advice I read for mid corner understeer without roll was to try a stiffer front bar and more front compression. I tried that and it didn't work (in theory it should have been stiffer). In the process I also tried messing with the rear bar and actually forgot to tighten it on one track session and it solved all my understeer issues.

Not sure if that really answers your question but basically every situation is a bit different. I would suggest just making changes with want ever you decided to do and see what works for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the long response time. So basically I was experiencing understeer in my car (E46 not F80) and all the set up sheets/advice I read for mid corner understeer without roll was to try a stiffer front bar and more front compression. I tried that and it didn't work (in theory it should have been stiffer). In the process I also tried messing with the rear bar and actually forgot to tighten it on one track session and it solved all my understeer issues.

Not sure if that really answers your question but basically every situation is a bit different. I would suggest just making changes with want ever you decided to do and see what works for you.
Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me!

You seem to be saying something different, now.

My query was in regards to your original post:
Quote:
The reason I'm curious is because in F8x models you need to drop the entire rear suspension subframe
in order to change the rear anti roll bar and this can be quite labor (cost!) intensive. Changing out the
front is "... cake" in comparison.

Many people, I've read on the forums, initially just do the front bar, primarily so, because of this reason.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #6
DLag30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3 & F36

I had this brand on my e46 and everything appeared to be good quality. The price point is def good as well
Appreciate 1
Dr._Who124.50
      03-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
ment4t
Private
Rep
Drives: Track-Legal MW F82

I had these installed on my F82 at the same time as GC camber plates.

The combination allowed for a markedly high speed on turn-in and more stability on exit.

I have no idea about long-term reliability, but my mechanic has used Hotchkis products on his shop race car and has had no issues.
Appreciate 2
Dr._Who124.50
EGbeater115.00